Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Mr. Nivedan Nempe - Invents areca tea enriched with anti aging and digestive properties

Register

Click Here!

editorialteam

Invents areca tea enriched with anti aging and digestive properties

Areca nut crop is one of the main sources of income for many farmers in South India. With a ban on chewing areca nut the trade of the crop has been thrashed affecting farmers severely. However, with Mr. Nivedan Nempe’s invention of areca tea future seems promising yet once again for the farmers growing areca nut.
Nivedan 02.jpg
Mr. Nivedan Nempe

Areca tea has anti aging properties, improves digestion and can cure diabetes. The nuts are processed using all natural ingredients without any trace of chemicals to produce tea granules. These granules are mixed with select ayurvedic herbs to be sealed in the tea bags. Tea contains 80% areca extract from red processed areca and rest 20% is extract from 18 varieties of herb. Areca tea bags are used for making the tea following the same recipe the usual way. The tea is tested and certified to be healthy and beneficial for human consumption by National and International certifying agencies.

The tea made from areca nut is claimed to be better than the green tea with respect to its medicinal properties. Areca nut is packed with proline (amino acids) and antioxidants. Besides it has the properties to act as digestive enzyme-enhancing agent. Being a pharmacist, “While studying areca nut I found it contains 13% proline and 30% tannin. Usually all tea contains tannin hence I got the idea of making tea from areca nut by extracting tannin from the nut,” describes Mr. Nivedan the idea generation behind the areca tea invention. “Proline and digestive enzymes present in areca nut reverse the aging process and improves the digestion respectively.” He is based at Mandagadde village, Shivamogga district, Karnataka while the manufacturing facility is at Udupi, Karnataka. “We have two factories. One is for Indian market while the other shall be soon started exclusively for exports.”
Areca Tea.jpg

The production capacity at factory for Indian market is 1 lakh tea bags per day but at the moment 35 thousand tea bags are produced every day. 400 quintal areca nut is required every month at the tea processing facility. “The quality of the nut is very important for us. It must be cultivated using natural farming practices without any use of chemicals. If any farmer wants to associate with us then he must give us a sample that shall be tested for its quality. If the quality is found satisfactory as per our requirements then we will be happy for the long term tie-up with the farmer,” asserts Mr. Nivedan.

Areca tea is sold in the two packing – small pack with 10 tea bags while large pack with 30 tea bags sold at Rs. 75 and Rs. 210 respectively. It is available at company’s online store, ecommerce websites, organic stores, medical shops and patanjali outlets. “At our online store we also offer the bulk sale of 100 tea bags at Rs. 600,” he adds.

Mr. Nivedan is the only manufacturer of Areca tea in the entire world. He holds the patent rights of the product. Many organizations around the world allured him to sell the patent rights for the whopping amount of Rs. 100 plus crore but he declined the offer to keep the pride of areca tea as ‘Make in India’.

“It is the product only to be made in India. It was the innovative product 2015 at Make in India Excellence,” he highlights.

Speaking on assistance on research and finances, Mr. Nivedan promptly says, “It is all done by myself. I am not in favour of taking help from either Government or Venture Capitalist although the objective of my entire activities is to help farmers and other people. Reason being I like to work without any interference.”

When asked about the problems and challenges he says, “My dream was to start the manufacturing unit in the village itself but due to the local politics it couldn’t be done! Hence the factory was set up at Udupi. Areca tea is ray of hope for the farmers and it received good support but the local village politics was the obstacle faced. Nevertheless I am happy the product is in market and receiving good response.”

Presently Mr. Nivedan is working on bringing two new flavors in areca tea and a revolutionary product from areca nut that shall bring remarkable change in the society. Further in time to come he shall be introducing many new products developed from agricultural commodities. “At my lab there are umpteen researches going on creating value added products from rice and sugarcane. I want to bring a positive change in the life of farmers as well as be instrumental in getting them the respect they deserve!” he states.

Mr. Nivedan holds post graduation in Manufacturing and Management Technology from Melbourne University, Australia. He is passionate about serving his Motherland in a way his countrymen are benefitted in all ways! He quit his lucrative job and returned back to India in 2013 to develop unique value added products from agricultural commodities. “Even in India I had opportunity to work for many MNC but I am committed to myself to invent products that could address the problems/need of my people, Indians at large. I would also like to add that to invent any product all it requires is common sense and not the gold medal in academics. Apply the knowledge at right place for the right cause that is the brilliance needed for innovation,” he concludes.

(As told to Shweta Dhanuka)

Contact details:

Areca Tea

C/O Green Remedies, Door No: 5-1-13, Kinnimulky, Udupi – 576101, Karnataka

Phone: 0820 2529023, 07760056777

Email: nivedan.nempe@gmail.com

Web: https://www.arecatea.in/

Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)