Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Mr. Mansukhbhai Ambabhai Jagani

Register

Click Here!

editorialteam

Invents motorcycle driven ploughing device and bicycle mounted sprayer

“Maintaining tractor is not easy for all the farmers especially those having small land holdings and small scale farming. Also sometimes heavy weight and high fuel consumption increases the production cost and makes few jobs in land preparation difficult like inter-culturing. Analyzing all these constraints I thought a simple multipurpose toolbar would be able to solve the problems when attached to motorcycle. Thus I started working on the idea and could succeed by develop ploughing machine that is connected to the motorcycle by removing the back wheel,” shares Mr. Mansukhbhai Ambabhai Jagani, innovator. It is most suitable to attach in Enfield Bullet Motorcycle or any 325cc motorcycle. It can perform all activities done by pair of bullock/tractor in cost effective way and with utmost efficiency.
Mr. Mansukhbhai Ambabhai Jagani.jpg

Mr. Mansukhbhai hails from Amreli, Gujarat. Saurashtra, Gujarat. “The machine has two wheels at the rear and a tool bar which is used for attaching different farm implements to carry out various operations such as ploughing, weeding, sowing seeds and spraying,” he adds. The attachments are fitted with the help of in-built mechanical lift. Simple to use, easily repaired, low maintenance and no continuous variable cost are its unique features.

Speaking about the cost benefit ratio of machine, he says, “It costs much less than a tractor or bullock. It can plough one acre farmland in just one hour with 0.5 liter diesel. As it is a multipurpose device it can be used for agriculture operation, transportation and regular motorcycle. Overall operational charges are low when compared with other alternatives.” After attaching the desired farm implement to machine, the motorcycle can run at the speed of 45 km/hour. The fuel consumption is 0.5 liter/hour. The haulage capacity is 750 kg and with trolley it becomes 3 ton.
Motorcycle driven ploughing device.jpg
Motorcycle driven ploughing device

Invention has India as well as USA patent. “I keep upgrading the device based on the feedback received from the end user,” he states. It is being sold throughout the country and exported to Kenya. “Many farmers in Kenya have tried their hands on the tractor for plowing and in total approximately a quarter of an acre had been plowed.”
Bicycle mounted sprayer.jpg
Bicycle mounted sprayer

Another invention by Mr. Mansukhbhai is bicycle mounted sprayer. He made the changes in the normal bicycle to mount the sprayer on it. He changed the position of the central sprocket to rear wheel and rear to central sprocket. “Then at the central sprocket, I replaced the pedals and attached piston rods, connected with the mechanical brass cylinder pumps on either side. On the cycle carrier I installed a 30 litre PVC storage tank that serves as an input to the cylinder. To it a four feet long spray boom with nozzle was attached along with accessories for adjustment to either side of the bicycle carrier,” he explains. It took eight days of hard work to develop this bicycle operated sprayer. He later made another prototype in which he put two tanks of 20 litres each on either side of the bicycle for ease of balancing.

When compared the bicycle operated sprayer with knapsack sprayer, it is found that invention of Mr. Mansukhbhai is energy-efficient and easy to operate and maintain. “It is a flexible product with adjustable height and width of spraying boom for using it for various crops. As bicycle requires less space to move, it can be used in a more versatile manner as compared to power sprayers that are mounted on tractors. A labour saving device, it can be used to spray one acre of land in 45 minutes thus covering more area compared to manual spraying,” he asserts. Even this sprayer is easy to assemble and dissemble.

Mr. Mansukhbhai insists to mention about invaluable support received by National Innovation Foundation. "I might not be formally educated or holding a college degree but I understand the machines very closely. Machine is my life. I shall continue to invent things that never existed before and turn the problems into big opportunities. Life goes on and improved technology must be developed to manage the changing times that demands for smooth and efficient operations," he concludes.

Contact details:

Phone: +91 9925447400
Email: info@nifindia.org