Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Mr. Hemanna Barangi - Producer and supplier of plant based vermicompost

Register

Click Here!

editorialteam

Producer and supplier of plant based vermicompost

Every part of green plant is useful in some or the other way. The manure made from the green waste is gold for the soil to re-produce green crops. Using the biological inputs precisely the earthworms the green waste is turned into manure. Fertile soil and good earnings are assured benefits of plant based vermicompost. Mr. Hemanna Barangi, a progressive farmer says, “Vermicompst needs practice and patience. It is apt for waste management, offers protective cover to the plants, satisfactory financial results and excellent manure.” In addition to vermicompost Mr. Barangi is also engaged in fish farming, apiculture, coconut cultivation, producing and selling plants grafts. He is based at Hirenji village, Bydagi taluk, Karnataka.

Hemanna Barangi 2 (2).jpg
Mr. Hemanna Barangi

40 x22 feet tank is used for preparing the vermicompost. Being pure plant based vermicompost, in the tank coccina leaves are used as key raw material for composting. Besides green plants grown at all the public places and roads are also added to these leaves. “To this biogas plant slurry is also mixed. Green compost and slurry are set in layers, one over the other. Thickness of each layer is half inch. Layering helps to decrease the temperature,” he informs. Then the worms are released in the layered mix.

It takes half an hour everyday to turn the waste, monitor the growth of young worms and check for ants. Speaking of the requisites to be followed for the worms Mr. Barangi says, “If the temperature increases the worm moves to that part of the waste where there is moisture.

Hence it is mandatory to keep watering the compost so that the worms are not damaged due to heat. The worms must also be protected from bandicoot and ants. The mix must be turned upside down carefully to let the air pass through ensuring the worms are safe and remain unhurt.” The slurry helps in controlling the heat and augments the worms breeding. “It is possible to get 10-50kgs of worms.”
Hemanna Barangi 2 (1).jpg

During rainy season, watering is avoided in the compost processing. The excess water from the green waste is collected in the underground tank built just below the main vermicompost tank. Later little water and cow urine is added to the vermi wash. “It is the natural pesticide sprayed on coccina creeper as preventive aid from pest attack,” he states. In just six months green waste is converted into 150bags (75quintal) manure. It is suitable for all kinds of soil. It also protects the farmlands from insect infestation and diseases.

Minimum area required for establishing vermicompost unit is 8x4 feet. Coccina creepers are growing near the stone pillar supported by metallic wire of 2 feet wide. “We have made a shade with coccina creeper on the top of the vermicompost tank, fish pond and gobar gas unit which are positioned in a line maintaining the distance of 2 feet apart,” he explains. “I chose coccina crop as it gives shade and cool temperature to the worms.”

Mr. Barangi suggest good formal training to the farmers before making compost in the farm as it saves on time as well as the end product produced is perfect! He provides technical assistance to all those who need help with vermicompost production. He also sells the worms.

“I breed and sell worms at Rs. 250/kg (800 worms). I also sell vermicompost at Rs. 550/quintal,” he shares. The minimum order quantity for sales is 50kgs. He regularly supplies his plant based manure against the tender of KVK at Koppala, Gangavathi, Mandargi, Harappanahalli and Bellari.
Hemanna Barangi 3 (1).jpg

When asked about the other activities he says. “In my farm I produce and sell grafts of rose and lime at Rs. 30/ graft1 and Rs. 40/graft. We have 20 coconut plants around the house and 6 lime plants. I also rear gouri variety of fish. I have concrete fish pond of dimension 20x20x6 feet. We have concrete pond to avoid seeping of water into the soil. The fish water is sprayed with sprinklers across the farm as it is excellent for the plant growth.” 200 fingerlings are released in the pond. Each grows up to 1.5 kg and is harvested once in a year. It is sold at Rs. 100/kg in the market. “Since past 8 years I am into fish farming.”

In time to come Mr. Barangi wants to start poultry farm with local breed called as Oormane and girraj breeds. “I am self-made agriculturist, started with a small unit of vermicompost that scaled up my operations slowly by turning waste into wealth,” he signs off.

Contact Details:

Mr. Hemanna Barangi

Hireanaji At post, Byadgi Taluk, Haveri District – 581 120, Karnataka

Phone: 966 386 1958

Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)