Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Modern Agro - Karnal, Haryana based bee keeper turned processor promotes apiculture

Register

Click Here!

editorialteam

Karnal, Haryana based bee keeper turned processor promotes apiculture

Bee Keeping is the business that begins with small investments but gives higher returns. Neat and clean bee colonies in wooden boxes kept in farms when crop flowering is at boom is the best set up for the farmers to have a prospective life. “Bee Keeping has changed my life for good! In 1997 I took training from NDRI, Karnal and turned into bee keeper. Since then there is no looking back and the business of producing honey played a vital role in making me realize my dream of becoming food processor,” says Mr. Gurbax Singh, Founder and Director, Modern Agro. Company is located at Phusgarh village, Karnal, Haryana State.
IMG_7604.jpg
Mr. Gurbax Singh

Mr. Gurbax Singh recommends Apis mellifera ligustica, the Italian honey bee, mustard and eucalyptus fields and bees boxes made up of kal wood ideal for apiculture. In his words, “The entire process is easy to learn and simple to execute. Rest the bee keepers must have that perseverance to excel in their work.”

He wanted to scale his operations to processing hence he started encouraging other farmers to take up bee keeping. During this period he also met few promising bee keepers and established a network with them to purchase their raw honey for processing and selling it as finished product. “I have close to 30 bee keepers working with me now. All these people work as per the laid down rules and regulations. Hence we are into long term association with the mutual understanding on price and delivery. I provide my own food-grade containers to them for raw honey storage. They are given assistance with finances and technical know-how as required. All together approximately 90 ton raw honey is received from this network that is processed at our processing unit,” he elaborates. Honey is purchased from the bee-keepers paying them better price than market rates claims Mr. Gurbax Singh. “We have introduced many new flavours of honey in the market.”
IMG_7606.jpg
Along with honey Modern Agro also sells other food processed items like pickle and almond oil. All the products are sold under the brand name ‘Modern Agro’ across the country. “Quality is the only thing in the business that matters to me the most hence my products received a very good response in the market. We have good market share in Haryana and neighboring states. I shall ensure to maintain the quality standards,” he asserts.

Apiculture is a promising industry but lacks enormously in research and development. “Unfortunately in our country there is no support and priority given to this agri sector. Government does take efforts to introduce new programs and allocates the funds too but these are never implemented properly on the field. Hence the bee keeper is at complete loss and the industry is suffering,” he highlights.

He concludes, “I strongly believe Indian youth have all the intellect and skills to give this industry a new dimension. They must join us willingly then our experience and their enthusiasm shall be the best blend of expertise for bright future!”

Contact details:
Modern Agro
Farm Address- Village Phusgarh, Karnal, India.
Correspondence Address - # 1089, New Housing Board Colony, 13- Extension, Karnal, Haryana 132001.
Phone: +91 - 98131 - 00025, +91 - 93548 - 00025
Email ID :- md@modernagro.com
Web: http://www.modernagro.com/

Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)