Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Advertising Medicinal Plant Cultivation

Register

Click Here!

sudhakaran79

I have 4 acres of land in which I am interested to cultivate medicinal plants on contract farming basis.
My land is in Chittoor district, AP with red soil. Suggestions are welcome.

pioneeragri

Stevia may or may not be appropriate crop for you

Hi

The colour of soil does not decide suitability of crops on particular farm soil. However, soil colour sometimes may give idea about soil texture which is most important parameter to decide suitability of any crop. Red soil is found sometimes with heavy and most times with light soil texture.

You must know about stevia and its requirements first. No doubt, it is a profitable crop but it also has some production and post harvest constraints. Stevia is not Indian origin crop. This specie comes from Paraguay, South America and some coastal countries in south East Asia.

Second, heavy textured soil having more loam and clay content that retains water is good for Stevia cultivation. Third, this perennial herb requires high atmospheric humidity that is difficult to maintain in dry areas without setting u of micro-sprinkler irrigation facility.

Third, Stevia highly susceptible to termite and nematode attack the risk of which increases where weed profile of the region is strong. Therefore, this crop becomes labour intensive in terms of maintaining your Stevia field free of weeds all the time.

Fourth, timely harvesting of Stevia leaves i.e. before flowering starts is very important so as to get desirable stevioside content. Being a tropical and subtropical climates in different agro-ecological regions in India, at times it becomes difficult for farmers to harvest during rains. If harvesting is possible then post harvest drying of leaves may be an issue without proper infrastructure.

There are various set of conditions Stevia needs that has to be insured prior to select this crop. Soil is not the only factor. Here, I have discussed a few. Without proper technical feasibility and financial viability study, we should not choose any crop to grow. First ensure all set of conditions required for the crop then decide.

For more details and discussion, I may be contacted through following contact information.

with best regards

Dr Ubaid Khan, Ph.D. (Soil Science)

madhavs1

I have 4 acres of land in which I am interested to cultivate medicinal plants on contract farming basis.
My land is in Chittoor district, AP with red soil. Suggestions are welcome.
we can provide all medicinal plants and seeds,counsaltency service and buy back also available if you are intrested feel free to contact with us

AMARAVATHI NATURO TECH PVT.LTD
amaravathinatural@gmail.com
Madhav - 9866672765
Venkat - 8106525657

bouncyhar

Hi

The colour of soil does not decide suitability of crops on particular farm soil. However, soil colour sometimes may give idea about soil texture which is most important parameter to decide suitability of any crop. Red soil is found sometimes with heavy and most times with light soil texture.

You must know about stevia and its requirements first. No doubt, it is a profitable crop but it also has some production and post harvest constraints. Stevia is not Indian origin crop. This specie comes from Paraguay, South America and some coastal countries in south East Asia.

Second, heavy textured soil having more loam and clay content that retains water is good for Stevia cultivation. Third, this perennial herb requires high atmospheric humidity that is difficult to maintain in dry areas without setting u of micro-sprinkler irrigation facility.

Third, Stevia highly susceptible to termite and nematode attack the risk of which increases where weed profile of the region is strong. Therefore, this crop becomes labour intensive in terms of maintaining your Stevia field free of weeds all the time.

Fourth, timely harvesting of Stevia leaves i.e. before flowering starts is very important so as to get desirable stevioside content. Being a tropical and subtropical climates in different agro-ecological regions in India, at times it becomes difficult for farmers to harvest during rains. If harvesting is possible then post harvest drying of leaves may be an issue without proper infrastructure.

There are various set of conditions Stevia needs that has to be insured prior to select this crop. Soil is not the only factor. Here, I have discussed a few. Without proper technical feasibility and financial viability study, we should not choose any crop to grow. First ensure all set of conditions required for the crop then decide. MyBKExperience

For more details and discussion, I may be contacted through following contact information.

with best regards

Your article is so useful for us,thanks for sharing. Good stuff!

Last edited:

asahi89

Hi

There are various set of conditions Stevia needs that has to be insured prior to select this crop. Soil is not the only factor. Here, I have discussed a few. Without proper technical feasibility and financial viability study, we should not choose any crop to grow. First ensure all set of conditions required for the crop then decide.

with best regards

Please share your contact details

Last edited by a moderator: