Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Meat Cows - A Potential Market

Register

Click Here!

ashypeshy

Well...I, we have heard people grow cows for milk, and see the dairy market grow rapidly.

Unlike this dairy cows is there a potential market for Meat Cows. We are considering to swap over from meat goats to Meat Cows due to climatic conditions as recommended by the Doctors.

We do not see business from the doctors view...thus we like to see some picture of the prices and market conditions for such segment.

Let me put short at what we have in mind...we look at purchasing Male Calf(ves) those are not less than 5 months of age and intend to grow them for the next 6-8 months.

So that was short right...mm. If this is wat we look at can You let know the price we should pay for such male calf(ves) ...the breed we have been recommended is Jersey, and what weight should we expect from a 5 month Calf....and how much of weight gain we can expect in the next 6 to 8 months at moderate and intensive feeding conditions. And the last of it will be to ask at the end of the 8 month period this 12 to 13 month aged Cow - how much should it be priced.

People with interests and experience in this segment can bring in views so as to build a relationship in terms of knowledge.

Your informations and replies will be helpful towards our business.

Thanking You

Ashy

Last edited:

ashypeshy

Well though people have read this post...why have they stayed away from a reply.....Please reply so to get any better.

ashypeshy

Well....i do understand...the ignorance ....but....if u can comment...ideas and experience can be well exchanged

srikumargs

Meat Cows!!!!!!!!!

Meat Cows!!!! , i feel there is very less market potential for it.... we indians have the mentality of worshiping the cows , for eating it was the last option. down in south India there are very less no of people taking beef as their food (on daily or weekly basis) and the current dairy industry already provides the male calf and old cows for less rate which is mostly culled. unlike goats not all the cows are not sold on weights basis, so on my personal opinion, might be we can survive with the farm, but profit is a question.........

ashypeshy

Sri Kumar...u are perfectly right, the market in Tamilnadu is perfectly low. Let me also say The farm is located at Nagercoil less than 60 KM to Trivandrum. And this is were the market lies. We have seen animals being loaded on to lorries and taken down to Kerala.
Can anyone gime the prices of live weight ? and also wat price would be appropriate to purchase a Bull Calf...the lowest we purchased was 1000 Rupees @ 30 Kgs...was it a worth buy?

prateekvaish

Dear ashypeshy,

laws in many states of india will not allow you to go for it. It can create a lot of trouble as religious sentiments of number of Hindus all across the country are involved. also, social and political hinderences are bound to occur (VHP , Bajrang Dal, BJP etc). So, i would advise you to drop this idea asap. rather you can think of rearing male and female buffalo calves for fattening.

ashypeshy

Well ur point is correct as the country has low preference towards this meat. So resulting in only Kerala to be the potential market. The farm is situated close to Trivandrum i mean less than 60 KM.
And most of the cattle and buffalo meat to Kerala is brought from Tamlinadu and neighboring states.
Will this make any sense to ur farm as the major consumer is located close by.
And please also guide on the price of purchase of bulls at 4-5 months. Recently we had purchased some bulls of the Jersey kind and the minimum price we paid was 1000 rupees for a weight of approximately 30 live Kgs.
Please so inform about the feeding pattern and the consumption levels of the bulls. And can u specify means and methods to increase weight gains in minimal time and how much weight gain can be expected in well fed conditions.

prateekvaish

Dear Sir,
Personally i am dead against cow slaughtering. if a person is unable to make profits out of milk there are very less chances of him making profits out of meat. basic business principals are same. I am sure not all dairy farmers in Tamilnadu or Kerela are incurring losses by rearing milch cattle.

ashypeshy

Prateek,
I do understand the political hindrance, but we have number of muslims residing in the country...and their choice of meat is Beef... next to Lamb. And I have to let u look into wat is Kerala doing at the Meat segment.
I can Source this site for ur reference...but this is an export firm,
Please contact....
Thank u for ur concern..let me see wat informations people pour in.

Best regards
Ashy

Last edited by a moderator:

ashypeshy

Pratheek.....i am speaking of Bulls not Cows. And im not into Dairy farm....mine is striclly Meat Bulls....i think my heading was MEat Cows...sorry.....its MEat BULLS i mean the male version of the animal....sorry about ur concerns

Best Regards
Ashy

ashypeshy

well.....can anyone suggest the weight gain of a Jersey bull from its 5th months....so how many KGs can we expect out of the bull a month. Wat i heard was from 25 to 40 Kgs a month and that which depends on the feed intake and the quality of feed provided. Can any one pls suggest on the same.

Regards
Ashy

Mineral lick for farm animals

The productivity of ruminant animals such as cattle, buffaloes and goats is severely constrained by poor mineral nutrition which restrict growth and reproductive rates, and contribute to a high economic loss in flocks and herds. One very effective method that addresses mineral deficiency is mineral block.

Salt, minerals both macro and micro are indispensable for good health and high productivity. Each animal has an individual salt and mineral requirement, which is dependent on large number of factors: body weight and growth rate, age, pregnancy, lactation phase and milk yield, perspiration and performance. A mineral deficiency manifests itself in a loss of appetite, weight loss, decrease in milk yield, breeding problem, reduced growth and a decline in natural resistance. Some animals even start licking the walls due to decline of good taste.

The normal ration –compound feed and roughage – fulfills the general needs of the animals, whereas mineral licks fulfill the individual need for salts and minerals. Animal licks these blocks as per its body demand.
Dosage and administration
Free Choice

Packaging and presentation
2 kg lick

Shelf Life
2 Years from date of Manufacture
Price
Available on request

Cotact detail
Star animal Nutrition
Pondicherry
Please contact....

Last edited by a moderator:

kishores

meat

Mr.Ashy,

As you said for meat,Kerala is the potential area. And the supply of cattle is only from the nearest markets inTamilnadu. The main market's are Nainaragaram (Tenkasi), Melapalyam (Tirrunelveli), and Valliyur all in Tirunelveli dist. Nagercoil and Monday market and Padanthalamoodu in kanyakumari dist. Here you can buy male calfs at one month to six months age the rates depends on its weight. While purchase you have to justify the approximate weight of the calf and do purchase.

Regards,
Kishore

Last edited:

ashypeshy

Kishore...
Thanks for ur words ...it would also mean a lot if u could let know the approximate Price for a calf of 100, 125, 150 Kgs and does the 6 month calf come into this 6 month category.
We do purchase the calf from Valliyur market and travel all the way to Nagercoil...cos buying from Monday MArket and Karungal is expensive than with the transport from Valliyur.
So what price do u Recon for the 100 Kg calf and the 125 and 150 Kgs respectively.
Regards
Ashy

aumsairam

Dear sir,
Selling of bulls for culling is not i an organised sector when compared to other live stocks.As mentioned you may have good requirement in Kerala for bulls and more than that Buffallo is much prefered for human consumption.When you talk about the buying rate for 30 KG bull, to say openly there is no standard price for purchase as the bulls scraped is being sold for culling.Dont take hasty decision and get caught in loss.

ashypeshy

Aumsairam,
U r right...this would not suit everyone. But wat we are noticing is the price is averaging 100 per kg and the market is doing from 80 to 100 rs. so...wat are faced is for the past few week we have been offered a price for some animals. And most of them only showed us a profit of 1500...i mean from the point of purchase. So we think the 1500 rs is too good when we are swapping. This 1500 includes the transport and all other expenses.
I guess 1500 in just from the next day of purchase is not a bad amount unless and until u can hold strong.
Guys please educates us more on the same.

Regards.

ashypeshy

Well let me ask if this was profitable...bought a Jersey Bull on Monday for 7500 and today Thursday sold it for rupees 9000, and other cost including feeding for 4 days would be 250 rs. so in 4 days an amount of 1250 rupees is a good profit? ...we do not breed...we do not fatten....we only buy n sell.
Any one to comment.?

kishores

Mr.Ashy,

The approximate buying cost is Rs.60/- per kg. The weight we have to assume. Hope you were aware that the market price will differ to day to day and also depends upon the avilability of the animal at the market, if less animals the cost will go up and if it is more the cost will come down and more over you were a good bargainer and ready to tollerater the meadiaters shouts.
For you business proposal, this is the peak time. The moharam.chritmas and newyear were going to come. Buy male calf and keep them grassing in a fenced area where grass is available.The preferable places is between Erachakulam and Chunkankadi below the hills. by the next two months you can do a good business. R u do purchase at your own or through reliable sources.

Regards,
S.Kishore

ashypeshy

Kishore wat u mean by places Erachakulam and Chunkankadi ...where are they and how far are they form Nagercoil.... and are these places for u mean Selling or cheaper places to buy the Calf?????