Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Marvel Agro Kingdom-Engaged in rearing and breeding black Kadaknath poultry birds

Register

Click Here!

editorialteam

Engaged in rearing and breeding black Kadaknath poultry birds at Chandrapur, Maharashtra

Black Kadaknath is the special breed poultry bird rich in medicinal properties. Experts are considering it as super food for human survival as it is solution for many internal body diseases. The demand is going to be huge and the profit margins shall be enormous for the farmers.
Black Kadaknath - Yashvant Tayade.jpg
Mr. Yashvant Tayade

Mr. Yashvant Tayade was quick to understand the prospective future of Black Kadaknath poultry birds hence he started Marvel Agro Kingdom to rear and breed these birds post retirement. The farm is located at Kasargatta village, Chandrapur district, Maharashtra.

Mr. Yashvant Tayade took training in poultry farming during his student’s life but joined a secured job in Coal India. Post retirement he returned back to his passion of poultry farming. “Even throughout my term of 32 years at Coal India I remained in constant touch with poultry, goat and organic farming industry. I kept myself updated on the latest happenings in agriculture. Finally post retirement in 2015 I started Black Kadaknath exclusive poultry farm,” he adds. In a detailed conversation he provides in-depth information about this amazing poultry breed and his farm. Excerpts:
Black Kadaknath 01.jpg
I have constructed two poultry sheds, 3000 sq feet each. As Black Kadaknath is an exclusive breed sold at premium price it has to be raised consciously else the mortality leads to huge lose. Thereby I raise the chicks as batch by batch in different segments. Also in the shed I have constructed designated area for 1day-1month chick, sick birds, handicapped birds and ready for delivery. The purpose behind the segregation is to ensure proper growth of the chicks and keeping it away from the infections. In total the investment made was Rs. 20 lakh.

Initially the first batch of 50 chicks was bought from Bhuranpur, Madhya Pradesh. It was an expensive deal as I spent Rs. 50 thousand. Later with breeding the herd size kept increasing.

The shed has cemented floor. A thick layer of 3 inch paddy straw is spread on floor for the birds to feel comfortable. Once in 15 daysmix of lime powder and alum is sprayed to keep the odour away. The paddy straw is turned upside down once in 15 days and changed completely once in a month for maintaining good hygiene conditions in the farm shed. It is crucial to keep the paddy straw completely dry else it might lead to diseases or infection in the birds.

The paddy straw changed every month has all the excreta of birds. It is decomposed to make manure for the horticulture fields. My entire farm is naturally organic now by regular use of this manure. Further I get bumper production for all the crops in all the season. The taste of rice, chilli and vegetables of my farm is beyond the par excellence. Entire manure is consumed in my own horticulture fields. I get good income from selling these agricultural commodities as well.

The feed recommended is mixed grain. We prepare it in-house by mixing soyabean, wheat, rice husk, jowar, maize, bajra and meal bone. Keeping the ingredients same three grades are prepared for different age group. Coarse powder is given till 1 month, little thick-grained powder for 2-4 months while for 4 months and above we reduce the protein content and increase the calories to enhance the growth and weight gain.
Black Kadaknath .jpg
Black Kadaknath’s growth process is similar to other poultry breeds but it is small in size. By and large the birds mature in 6 months, cock gains the weight of 1.5 kg while hen weighs 200-300 gram. Post six month the hen starts laying eggs. Between 6-9 months is the right time to consume the birds. The birds must be grown in natural way hence my farm has manual operations to feed, watering and general check up. If it is manual the care taker can observe the chicks well and monitor the growth individually.

Egg yielding capacity of this breed is very less. On an average one hen lays 100-120 eggs/year. It is sold at high price being rich in medicinal properties and tasty. In wholesale it is sold at Rs. 20/piece while in retail Rs. 50/piece. Regular consumption of one egg a day proffers energy and strength to the body. Additionally the intensity of the diseases also comes down. Similarly chicken is sold at premium price of Rs. 800/kg in wholesale while Rs. 1000/kg in retail. All my stock gets sold as per pre-orders. So selling has not been a problem for me so far!

I am in the process to expand my poultry operations to hatchery to supply Black Kadaknath chick to other farmers. Till May end I have a pre-order of 5000 chick. The next orders shall be from June onwards. The price is subject to variations but mostly I sell the chick at Rs. 95/chick.

In future I aspire to raise and breed all the poultry birds’ species of India. Eggs and chicks of same shall be given to people from below the poverty line in order to give them an opportunity to become financially independent. I shall be selling it to them at nominal prices without any profits. On commercial front I want to diversify into black and white turkey farming as well. Turkey stays outside the farm, gives a natural protection to poultry farm from rodents and reptiles mainly snakes.

Black Kadagnath farming is profitable but it needs sincere work as well. Small mistake can cost a lot hence stay careful and upgrade the knowledge consistently then success is all yours!

(As told to Mamatha S R)

Contact details:
Marvel Agro Kingdom
Farm: Kasargatta Village, Pombhurna Taluk, Chandrapur District, Maharashtra
Corespondence: Tuljabhawani Apartment, Thakkar Nagar, Pathanpura, Chandrapur – 442402, Maharashtra
Phone: 08275393141, 09422130458

Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)