Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Loosing my confidence to start Dairy farming

Register

Click Here!

manas_patra

Hi Group,

I belongs to agriculture farming family. I have great enthu to start a Dairy business with 20 cows (profitable amount of milk) in my home town in Orissa (Southern region).

I made lot of analysis to find (the gap between the real stake holders data and my thought).

I made a calculation to start with 20 cows and planned it up to 400 within 7 years to capture tiny % of state market demand and found no profit but might be in big loss risk.

I can invest 15 Lac in initial and and can invest 80 Lac to grow it. Can take loan if required.

Advantage:

1- Good water source available
2- 20 Acres of rice land
3- Faithful labor available
4- Good Communication

Dis-Advantage:
I will jump in to this project if i can make it bigger with full time dedication.

Thanks in advance who can help me in.

Thanks,
Manas

Last edited by a moderator:

agrichick

Hi,
If logistics is your only problem make a contract with a tempo owner. Also you can collect milk from other persons having cow and bargain the OMFED effectively. This will also help you have a strong presence in your entire surrounding area. Also people around you will benefit from your leadership, hence your company also grows.

vinayhimachali

milk

hi, mr manas
if this is the only problem with you then just take a small survey in the surrounding area and find the big hotel, hospital ,army area other education institute with hostel facility they all need milk in huge amount on regular basis if they are in your area then you initially need not to look at OMFED. and after some time then your project is reach to a huge point then u will surely be able to afford a milk tanker.
best of luck.
vinay

saima

Dear Manas,

Hats off to your enthusiasm. If you have all the factors required for a dairy farm, who can compete with you. I suggest go for mechanised system. If Milk Federation is far and since you are starting with 20 Cows, the yield of which shall be consumed in the surrounding market only. SO please start and day by day you will learn to increase the capacity of live stock as well as selling of yield by way of milk products like Paneer, Khowa, Curd, Ghee etc. BEST OF LUCK for the endeavor and also remember that you are dealing with LIVE STOCK who needs to be taken care of like human requirements like timely fodder, water, scrubbing etc.

Regards

KPM

maruthidairy

hi Manas,

Which bussiness or commercial activity in this nation of course in world is free of hurdles and problems...? may be in dairy farming it is more critical and not a glorified activity. or else by this time all peoples who wants to make easy money and fame would have Dairy farms all over world, equally scams, over powering etc., as like in IT/ BT.

we strongly feel commercial Dairy Farming success is based on personnel skill, committment,belongingness, interest, ethics, little way environmental support etc., as well as your ability in converting the opportunities.

Hope in your case, being a agricultural family background and having own land, if u have all other mentioned will power....not finding any problems in forwarding...

U are the better judge to whether you should drink water or not.

keep communicating for any further communications in this regard to us

thanks and regards,

kasturiraju.

Hi Group,

I belongs to agriculture farming family. I have great enthu to start a Dairy business with 20 cows (profitable amount of milk) in my home town in Orissa (Southern region).

I made lot of analysis to find (the gap between the real stake holders data and my thought).

I made a calculation to start with 20 cows and planned it up to 400 within 7 years to capture tiny % of state market demand and found no profit but might be in big loss risk.

I can invest 15 Lac in initial and and can invest 80 Lac to grow it. Can take loan if required.

Advantage:

1- Good water source available
2- 20 Acres of rice land
3- Faithful labor available
4- Good Communication

Dis-Advantage:

1- OMFED ( Orissa Milk Federation is 100 Km away from village)

Serious advisory, who can give ample amount of time for briefing contact me on manas.patra79@yahoo.com.

I will jump in to this project if i can make it bigger with full time dedication.

Thanks in advance who can help me in.

Thanks,
Manas

manas_patra

Hi,
If logistics is your only problem make a contract with a tempo owner. Also you can collect milk from other persons having cow and bargain the OMFED effectively. This will also help you have a strong presence in your entire surrounding area. Also people around you will benefit from your leadership, hence your company also grows.
Thanks for info, but there is no such favorable surrounding. the area is full of poor farmers. so collecting milk will be a good try but not worth.

manas_patra

Dear Manas,

Hats off to your enthusiasm. If you have all the factors required for a dairy farm, who can compete with you. I suggest go for mechanised system. If Milk Federation is far and since you are starting with 20 Cows, the yield of which shall be consumed in the surrounding market only. SO please start and day by day you will learn to increase the capacity of live stock as well as selling of yield by way of milk products like Paneer, Khowa, Curd, Ghee etc. BEST OF LUCK for the endeavor and also remember that you are dealing with LIVE STOCK who needs to be taken care of like human requirements like timely fodder, water, scrubbing etc.

Regards

KPM

Hi,

Thanks for your response. As per my information surrounding market demand is of 2k liter(close to this). and there is no other option except marketing milk products to capital or near about to capital.

Can i get your number for some more help?

Thanks,
Manas