Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Looking for information on Alphonso Cultivation

Register

Click Here!

ktsing

I have a few questions on growing Alphonso mangos. I would love to hear from you if you have experience of growing them on a commercial scale.

1.Ideally how far should the land be from the sea?
2.In case of planting on undulating land is it better to plant in direct sunlight or in the shade?On the windward or leeward slopes?
3.Roughly how many trees are planted per acre?What is the approx.yield per tree using traditional techniques?And min. how many acres are needed to have a commercially viable farm?

pmali

Please read my reply to your similar question about Cashew plantation. Where Mango differs from Cashew, I am quoting the differences below:

1. Yield per mango tree: Alphanso mango can produce 250 mangos per tree at age of 10+ years. I would recommend harvesting less number of fruits per tree to get quality. Use pruning technique to reduce branching and help provide sunlight to all branches. High density plantation at 5m x 5m will be good.
Please note that Alphanso tree provides fruits alternate year. To be financially viable and to have cross pollination, plant other varieties like Ratna, Kesar.

You may consider one other suggestion: Plant more Cashew than Mango. Cashew is more robust plant than delicate Mango. Over the long run, you will observe that Cashew needs less inputs and provide more outputs.