Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Kadam Agro Research Goat Farm

Register

Click Here!

editorialteam

Engaged in breeding and supplying sojat goat breed

“When long and short term income and expenditure data of different agriculture sectors are compared the statistics reveal that goat farming the most profitable business. It is a lucrative if done with proper planning and sincere day-to-day operations. At our farm we have detailed documentation on every single goat right from the day it is procured/born till it leaves our farm gate! We track on daily basis on its’ health, feed and overall growth. Moreover, we brothers are completely involved in the daily operations of the farm,” shares Mr. Sandeep Kadam, Founder, Kadam Agro Research Goat Farm.
Kadam brothers (L-R- Deepak, Sandeep).jpg
Mr. Sandeep Kadam & Mr. Deepak Kadam

Mr. Sandeep started the goat farm along with his brother Mr. Deepak Kadam. It is located at Wakurde Budruk village, Sangli district, Maharashtra. Farm is engaged in rearing, breeding and selling exclusively Rajasthan origin Sojat goat breed. “I wanted to be an entrepreneur and being the son of a farmer I was always inclined towards agriculture. Hence I quit my secured banking job and started goat farm along with my elder brother Deepak, ex-army officer. Although my parents are into traditional horticulture but we brothers wanted to do something different. After enormous research and analysis we found goat farming to be profitable than poultry and dairy. Reason being goats are quite sturdy animals and have good demand throughout the year,” he adds.

The farm was set up with the capital investment of Rs. 30 lakh. The goat shed has the raised wooden platform for the goats to keep the herd safe from infection and diseases. “Our region gets high rainfall and the soil is mostly moist. Thereby there is high probability of goats getting infected. Therefore, as a preventive measure in the shed we raised the platform 6 feet above the ground. The structure is done with iron metal while the flooring is wooden. Besides the goat dung drops down from the platform and it is easy to collect once in 15 days. The shed is always neat and clean,” says Mr. Sandeep. Shed capacity is 300 goats but presently the herd size on an average is 150.
Kadam Farm.jpg

Sojat breed goat was selected over the local breeds found in Sangli district for it good height, white colour and good weight gain ability. “I visited goat farms in different states and studied on various breeds and goat farming practices. After a detailed scrutiny sojat breed was chosen. This particular breed suits our climatic conditions and is easy for stall fed. Further it has good demand amongst the Muslim communities during Eid festival,” he states. The business was commenced with 60 goats having 55 female and 5 male. All were mostly aged 7-8 months weighing 20-25 kg. Initially the entire stock was bought from Rajasthan based goat farmers.

Two distinctive selling segments are maintained at Kadam Agro Research Goat Farm. The first segment is called as Eid Special while the other is Breeding Special. “In Eid Special the herd has 1.5 year plus male goat weighing 60-70 kg. We ensure to follow all the protocols of Eid goat purchase by our buyers. It boosts the sales and we develop amicable and trustful long term relationship with our clients. We have good mix of traders and direct buyers as our clients. Usually one goat is sold at Rs. 30 thousand plus,” asserts Mr. Sandeep and adds, “Breeding Special has the goat kids sold to other goat farmers for rearing. Here as an extra service we extend all the information on goat care and look-after stating the vaccination and feed schedule.”
Sojat goat at Kadam Farm.jpg

Speaking about the goat feed, Mr. Deepak shares, “Primarily we give maize and pigeon pea based nutrient rich feed as it is good for the weight gain along with the green fodder grown in our own farm. Additionally based on the health and growth of the goat we give them supplements as required.” Every goat is tagged and details are recorded meticulously in the excel workbook. It assists largely in tracking the vaccine schedule too. “Entire vaccination is done in-house. I personally monitor this as now I am completely trained on it.”

Future plans are to expand the herd size to 500-1000 goats. “Recently a goat farmer from Nashik district has exported goats for Eid to Dubai through air cargo! I am quite excited about exports. Additionally we want to get into retail outlet of mutton sales,” reveals Mr. Sandeep.

Kadam brother find goat farming as recession proof business! They conclude, “Goat farming has worked very well for us. We recommend it for other too but the farmers must study the market and take training on goat management prior to investments. Also initially they must invest more on procuring healthy goats instead of the infrastructure. Lastly it is important if the family members are involved in the business. It will be beneficial in the long term. Goat farming is profitable and will give excellent returns only if done systematically with 100% dedication.”

Contact details:
Kadam Agro Research Goat Farm
Farm – At post Wakurde Budruk, Shirala Taluk, Sangli District, Maharashtra
Correspondence – ‘Safalya’. No. 7, Shree Swami Samarth Colony, R K Nagar, Kolhapur – 416 013, Maharashtra
Mobile: 098221 10028, 09930165764
Email: sandeep.udk@gmail.com