Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Insulin Plant

Register

Click Here!

Ashwini

Hello,
The insulin plant is scientifically called as Costus Igneus. The herb grows easily in a well-drained, semi-shaded position. It is frost tender and grows well in sub-tropical and tropical locations, or moved to a warm sheltered position in winter. Water only sparingly. The plant grows very quickly. And the propagation is by stem cutting. It needs sunshine but it also grows in slightly shady areas.

This plant has large fleshy looking leaves. The undersides of these large, smooth, dark green leaves have light purple shade. The leaves are spirally arranged around the stem, forming attractive, arching clumps arising from underground rootstocks. The maximum height of these plants is about two feet.

It can be cultivated in well drained soils. Avoid heavy soils.Costus are best planted in the early spring.

Costus requires 1 to 2 inches of water weekly, either through rainfall or irrigation.

Apply insecticidal soap for outbreaks of aphids or spider mites. Spray the solution on all surfaces of the plant, including the undersides of the leaves.

Regards
Ashwini S

Ashwini

Hello Sir,

Please post your specific questions on the site and we will respond to the same.

REgards
Ashwini S

gmadappa

Hello Ashwini,

I am interested with Costus Igneus plantation. Where can I get more information and guidance on this? about saplings, plantation and so on?

Thanks and regards,
Gururaj

gmadappa

Hello Ashwini,

I am interested with Costus Igneus plantation. Where can I get more information and guidance on this? about saplings, plantation and so on?

Thanks and regards,
Gururaj