Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

I wish to become a farmer

Register

Click Here!

farmboyy

Hi,

I am a new member writing from Chennai, India.

I am currently unemployed, living with parents, no job prospects. I don't have much assets or cash. I wish to become a farmer, is that possible? I want serious replies, no ridicule or discouraging stuff.

Regards,
Farm Boy

arjun 85

Appreciate your initiative...Good to see more young people intrested in agriculture. i would suggest you start by buying a few seeds of homely vegetables and try out. same time you could also look forward to buying poultry and cattle in a small scale.

manishkhare

No offence,

But I do not think a person with such good english can remain unemployed in Chennai :)

Good luck for your farming adventure.

Manish

alpha449

Farmboy

Its a right decision to enter the farming field. Not many other profession offer u the job satisfaction that this one does.
Well u get all the information that u need right under your finger-tips.
Ppl in the farming community are well knit, kind and volunteer info. unlike most other fields [no pun intended].
Its hard work but very satisfying. Know many Doc's, Engs, Techies migrating to this field with revolutionary ideas and innovation.
All the best,
Fond regards

arjun 85

Manish....
Its not necessary that person with good english should be "EMPLOYED UNDER SOMEBODY"....Rather (in my openion) it becomes more far more satisfactory if one can use his/her skills to chase their passion.

Farmboy,
I'd advise you to try to buy lands with enough water supply. no matter a bit far from Chennai.

Regards
Arjun

reddy_rrr

Dairy

Now so many people are thinking to move towards organised farming.Try use the Govt. schemes and NABARD to start dairy farm or any other idea.

All the Best

RR Reddy

manishkhare

Sorry guys if I hurt anyone.

I already said that in my first post.

My comments were on lighter side for what farmboyy has written about himself.
"I am currently unemployed, living with parents, no job prospects"

I agree with you all that more educated and informed people are needed in improving farming in India.

:)

kirankumar123

Mr. Farmboy,

I think you have made a right decision of farming and definitely, agricultural business in India required people like you.

I have entered into this field just couple of years ago. I would like to suggest you based on what I have acquired so far. For people like you as beginners, shouldn’t own a land straight away as it may be a huge investment which will be difficult to cope the financial pressure.

Firstly, it is worth trying to lease an off-season land for a short period (3 -4 months) and choose crops like vegetables that suits the weather, soil conditions and based on water resources availability. For this you need to seek advice form genuine experts and do enough home work e.g. like investments, finding a right seeds, dealing with crop diseases and marketing etc before starting the sowing.

The advantages of going for short crop would be less investment and early returns as anticipated. Say, if your crop fails because of your inexperience or natural disasters or any uncontrolled plant diseases you wouldn’t loose lot of money and it is easy to recover soon. Lesson learnt from this would be “Failure is only opportunity to begin again with more intelligently” in return to your investment.

You will progress gradually in terms of economically and in the mean time you will also gain a good experience before you own your land. However, this requires lot of patience and hard work for your eventual satisfaction. Never get upset or disappointed if one or two crops fail and ignore people who will try to discourage or de-motivate you. Trust me; for the 21st Century India, requires educated people like you for the agricultural field for emerging super power and to keep everyone healthy and happy. This is only based on my experience and I may be wrong!!

All the best. God bless Indian farmers!

Regards,

Kiran.

Last edited:

omsidhu

Hi,

I am currently unemployed, living with parents, no job prospects. I don't have much assets or cash. I wish to become a farmer, is that possible? I want serious replies, no ridicule or discouraging stuff.

Regards,
Farm Boy
Yes, is possible. Do hardwork.

dineshbhargava

Hi,

Regards,
Farm Boy
I would suggest you to look around your circle and contact people with 10 - 15 acres of irrigated land, pursue him to get drip system on subsidy. Get this land on lease. Invest only on seeds,fertilizers & agrochemicals.Don't you ever think of investing in machinery. Hire tractor services. If you can get this right,will suggest you a crop pattern.Though I am a very expensive consultant
US $ 1000/ hr. Will love to see you prosper in your chosen field free of cost. Good luck n God bless you.

rakarao

Dear Amit,

I am a civil engineer and staying in good position but i want come out of busy and frustration job prospectus and want to become a farmer coz i am from agriculture back ground.

i wish to know about your project n for join with you, can u give me more details,

Regards,
Raka rao.
hi friends !
welcome to new trend of jobbing ! i am also b tech and currently having 250 acre . and want to make joint venture with egypt , uae or any gulf country company for preparing date palm farm .......as i listened it give 10 lakhs income per acre........as per your conversation above . i would like to say , there is no doubt farming is good sector.....as per my project i want you all people help ...plz inform me if u have new at +919050024885

makanakago

You want to commit suicide?

Hello farmboy, So many small farmers committing suicide so it is not very good news for anyone to enter this field when you don't have much assets or cash. I would suggest you find a farmer who will employ you on his land and you try it out to know the reality whether you will survive. Send me your resume and I can try help you get job or talk to some farmers who may be able to help you.

Last edited by a moderator:

farmboyy

Hello farmboy, So many small farmers committing suicide so it is not very good news for anyone to enter this field when you don't have much assets or cash. I would suggest you find a farmer who will employ you on his land and you try it out to know the reality whether you will survive. Send me your resume and I can try help you get job or talk to some farmers who may be able to help you. send it to makanakago @ yahoo.com
Thanks so much for your help, Makanakago. I'll send my CV to your yahoo ID presently (still working on certain points), but please fill me in on the sort of job - because I have no farming experience? I am basically a (failed) writer/editor, never even been to a farm.

suryanarmada

Dear Friend,

It is nice to hear from you that you are interested in farming business.

If you are serious in this venture I can guide you.

Before entering into this you have to have the following in your mind:

1. How much area available with you?
2. Soil and water status
3. How much average income you have to get?
4. Your budget
5. Man power with you

According you have to prepare a work plan and proceed.

It is just like other business. Hard work and sincerity pays you.

Regards,
Surya Narmada
Chennai

narenmg

R U ready to work in a farm

Thanks so much for your help, Makanakago. I'll send my CV to your yahoo ID presently (still working on certain points), but please fill me in on the sort of job - because I have no farming experience? I am basically a (failed) writer/editor, never even been to a farm.
Hi Farmboy,

I am not sure how strong you are on your decisions ( You sounded very pesimistic in your repsonses in this thread). However, I suggest you to do either of the following two things..
1. You can contact any of your friends who has got land and work with them in the farm on profit sharing basis.
2. In case you are willing to relocate, I am ready to offer this option to you. I have a 6 acre farm where I have planted papayas. I am planning to set up a cooperative society with the farmers in the nearby villages to encourage them to grow papaya in large scale so that through the society we can have contracts with pharmaceuticals and enzyme manufaturers.. My farm is 120 km from Bangalore and I have a Labour who is looking after the farm. You can work along with them, build the network of farmers in the area and then go on to manage the cooperative society. you would be eligible for a share in the profit from the sale of papayas in my farm till the cooperative society starts giving returns. Let me know if this interests you. we can talk further

Regards
Naren

ngk1kor

Natural farming

Good to see a discussion like this...

I am from IT background working in bangalore and interested in doing farming...

after few months of research me and my friends are now going to start Papaya farming in hosur on a leased land using Zero budget natural farming...

if anyone has done papaya cultivation using ZBNF, kindly let me know the major issues you faced.

Also we have not yet started looking for buyers, any idea on this also welcome.

Thanks
Nagendra Kumar

cyborg_jp

can we do remote control from city?

Mr. Farmboy,

I think you have made a right decision of farming and definitely, agricultural business in India required people like you.

I have entered into this field just couple of years ago. I would like to suggest you based on what I have acquired so far. For people like you as beginners, shouldn’t own a land straight away as it may be a huge investment which will be difficult to cope the financial pressure.

Firstly, it is worth trying to lease an off-season land for a short period (3 -4 months) and choose crops like vegetables that suits the weather, soil conditions and based on water resources availability. For this you need to seek advice form genuine experts and do enough home work e.g. like investments, finding a right seeds, dealing with crop diseases and marketing etc before starting the sowing.

The advantages of going for short crop would be less investment and early returns as anticipated. Say, if your crop fails because of your inexperience or natural disasters or any uncontrolled plant diseases you wouldn’t loose lot of money and it is easy to recover soon. Lesson learnt from this would be “Failure is only opportunity to begin again with more intelligently” in return to your investment.

You will progress gradually in terms of economically and in the mean time you will also gain a good experience before you own your land. However, this requires lot of patience and hard work for your eventual satisfaction. Never get upset or disappointed if one or two crops fail and ignore people who will try to discourage or de-motivate you. Trust me; for the 21st Century India, requires educated people like you for the agricultural field for emerging super power and to keep everyone healthy and happy. This is only based on my experience and I may be wrong!!

All the best. God bless Indian farmers!

Regards,

Kiran.
To all those city boys out there and who are considering farming as an option, especially youngsters, will you be able to live in the rural culture for long... is my question? Reason is Indian rural scene has no proper infrastructure, entertainment, transport, commercial activity, proper education and disciplined manpower. Cost of living is more than the city (except housing and schooling). (Unbelievable, but true. Do a cost-comparison e.g. Hyderabad city to any rural area in A.P.)
Moreover due to lack of computerization, the entire govt. offices especially revenue dept. is immersed in deep corruption.
Add to this the scorching sun and 12-15 hour power cuts. Once you experienced all this, you will be back to the city and appreciate the value of modern life even better.
I am not touching the subject of financial viability, which is a different ball game altogether. First are you ready to compromise your life-style for money is my question to the techies venturing out to the rural farms.

Cheers!
-JP

ajkumar

In rural areas of course the city "cheers" may not be there but village life is a peaceful one compared to the fast city life. The only thing which matters is the mobility from one place to another. If you have solutions for that and prepared to work alongwith other workers it will work.Remote control from a distant place will not work