Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

How to treat saline land?

Register

Click Here!

ponravi

Dear Experts,

In my land if it rain the water will not percolate (or diffuse) and hence the plants not grow properly and sometime get rotten. In summer the land is behave like a rock. i.e. it is very difficult for plant to get areation to make new root establishment. (In tamil we call it ovar nilam).

Please inform me the procedure to convert this land into a agriculturable land. One of my friend suggested that the leaves of tamarine will improve the land. But finding bulk qunatity of tarmine leaves is problematic. I had a intution that if one use CaCO3 (may be call as gypsum - sunnampu thool) will solve the problem.

Could you kindly advice me the procedure to treat the saline land?

Thank you in advance for your kind advice.

Best regards
Ravi

m_babu

Dear Sir,

It appears the soil in your land is having a lack of organic matter. If added to sandy soil it will help to retain water (binding) and for the soil you describing it will help to percolate. Organic matter can be made through any type of biomass.leaves, stems, weeds etc.

arumughams

Dear Ravi,

Your land needs Biomass. Just dump all the agri waste available in your area in the land.
If water is not percolating donot worry, you can dig tranches 2 feet deep and 1 feet width
along your field just perpendicular to the water flow direction in such a way that you
trap the water in the land. Make sure 10 percent of you land has water storage like this.
You can use "Bread Sandwich Method" proposed by Nammalwar (search in Pasumai Vikatan) this
will provide good aeration to root and protect micro organism in the root and thus gives
good growth(no rotting). You have to use "Amutha Karaisal" (search in Pasumai Vikatan).
This will accelerate the decay of the biomass you have put in and gives nutrients to the
plant. Try this and post your success in converting your land.

You can also visit following sites

pointReturn
Home
Untitled Document

Thanks,
Saravanan
Please contact......

Last edited by a moderator:

krishnagokhale

treatment of saline land....

Your land has become highly saline or what is called as 'Sodic'. The soil is not able to take the water because of two things:
1. There is a sedimentation of unused/undisolved chemical fertilizers which have been given to the soil in far more quantity than the actual requirement.

2. The water quality should be checked because there is a possibility that the water is bringing additional dissolved salts and it is making your soil more saline.

You should therefore,
1. Stop giving chemical fertilizers and switch over to organic farming using Silica fertilizers. Silica fertilizers containing Organic Silica only will be helpful.
2.You should arrange for a treatment of water using Magnetic pipe which will reduce the salt molecule clusters present in the water. This will prevent the interference of Na salt in Nutrient uptake by the plants.

You should be prepared to adopt this practice and you get your soil back which your acestares inherited to you.
Thanks,
Mr.K.G.GOKHALE

aromedindia

Saline soil

Poor infiltration does not mean that the soil is saline.CaCO3 is not gypsum.Gypsum is CaSO4 (calcium sulphate).

Saline and sodic, altogether, are different terms and used for soils having high salt and high pH, respectively.

1. To know it is saline, get Elecrical Conductivity tested from any KVK/Agri. Uni.
2.Go far a deep summer ploughing and take a crop of green manure using Dhancha/Sesbania and ploughdown when the plants have attend a height of 70-90cm.
3.As suggested by one of the members,add as much organic matter as much it is available.
4. Plant crops preferably on ridges.
5.Also, if the salt content is really high,salt tolerant crops such as lemongrass, vetiver and palmarosa,barley and many more can be cultivated for 2-3 crop cycles to bring down the salt concentration. Paddy can be also a good proposition.
Tahnks
aromedindia@gmail.com
9451504200/9424633501

ponravi

Green manure seeds for saline soil

Dear All,

Thank you very much for all your valuable advices. It is good to know gypsum means Calcium sulphate (not calcium carbonate). I never thought of green manure. Getting organic matter is not very easy. Even one get from the gardens it is not econimical due to increase in labor costs (especially in Kanyakumari Dt). So, it is interesting to try green manure option.

My question is where one can get Dhancha/Sesbania seeds in Tamil Nadu to prepare green manure?

Best regards
Ravi

aromedindia

Green manure

You can get seed from M/S Mygrow Fodder Seeds, Laxmi Narain & Sons, 10 Dr. Bhabha Road, Neemuch(MP)-Phone-0742-3220567/9425973184 Email:mygrowseeds@bsnl.in
Dhaincha is botanically Sesbania acculeata.It tolerates both high and low soil moisture, even waterlogged conditions. For year round biomass addition, plant few hundred Soo babool (Leuceana leucocephala) plants on borders or in lines across the widh or lenght in field and prune it regularly,keeping maximum height of tree to 5-6 feet. In about 18-24 months period you will realise the difference. I am already doing this. Trees produce tremendous amount of soft and nitrogen rich biomass which is easily decomposed. Seeds can be sown directly in field or in poly bags. Soo babool seed can also be had from above firm.
In case of difficulty in getting seed u may send mail.
Thanks
aromedindia@gmail.com
9451504200/9424633501

alchemistjk

saline soil

We provide other cheaper method of nutralising the soil at normal pH by using microbes. These microbes make soil loose and nutralise the pH and make soil cultivable very soon.
any one interested may send private message to me