Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

how to start cattle dairy farming

Register

Click Here!

chdev11nov

i have land in gujarat and i want to open cattle dairy so please give info about dairy
Please contact...........
dev choudhary

Last edited by a moderator:

Ashwini

Hello

herez a summary about dairy faming.

hiii
Dairy farms are one of the more expensive businesses to operate and start. You need to have some elaborate equipment in order to pull the business off properly. Initially I would suggest start it on a small scale may be with 2 or 4 cows.
Equipments required -

.# Tractor
An important equipment for pulling machinery around. Most of the other equipment cannot be operated without this.
# Hay baler
Responsible for producing bale that is then fed to the cows. Each round bale produced by this machine is enough to feed 25 cows a day.
# Combine
The machine used to harvest crops for feeding to the cows, or for selling off. If you plan to grow your own cow feeds, you would need this definitely.
# Storage buildings
These buildings are useful for storing the feeds and the plants that you grow in your farm. There are also specialized buildings that are designed to store cow’s manure, as they are good fertilizers for the crops.
# Milking equipment
This will help make your life easier. Having automated milking equipment in your dairy farm will help cut the time required for you to produce milk from your cows, rather than doing it by hand. The different breeds u need to select-

1. Indian cattle breeds- milch breeds, draught breeds, milch and draught breeds.
2. Exotic breds.

the most commonly used breed for commercial dairy is HF(Holstein Friesian).
# This breed is from Holland
# Milk yield - 7200-9000 kgs
# This is by far the best diary breed among exotic cattle regarding milk yield. On an average it gives 25 litres of milk per day, whereas a cross breed H.F. cow gives 10 - 15 lts per day.
# It can perform well in coastal and delta area.

Under Indian condition a commercial dairy farm should consist of minimum 20 animals (10 cows, 10 buffaloes) this strength can easily go up to 100 animals in proportion of 50:50 or 40:60. After this however, you need to review your strength and market potential before you chose to go for expansion.

The cost for 2 cows comes upto 37000Rs, then include the cost of feed, insurance of the animals.

Regards
Ashwini

lakhnauti

Dear Sir,

Can you please tell me any contact from which we can buy cows. we have a small dairy farm in Saharanpur (U.P). at presant we have five Buffalos now we need to add cows.