Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

How to protect Pomegranate Farms from diseases?

Register

Click Here!

editorialteam

R B Herbal Agro is a pioneer in the field of pomegranate cultivation in India. Led by Ramdas J. Patil, R B Herbal Agro, in association with Mahatma Phule Krishi Vidyapeeth, Rahuri (Maharashtra) is constantly working on the solution for the deadly disease –Bacterial Blight of Pomegranate.

Pomegranate Farming

There is a constant struggle with the cultivation of pomegranate in India. In 2000, a bacterial epidemic spread which had made the growing pomegranate a recurring battle for farmers in India even today. Till this day, about 80 percent of pomegranate cultivation in Maharashtra, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and Gujarat are still being affected.

Ramdas J. Patil has taken various courses in New Delhi, Mumbai and Israel to help improve his knowledge in this agricultural endeavor. Included in his vast experience are fifteen years as a senior scientist in the private sector and serving as an esteemed member of the Board of Studies at Mahatma Phule Krishi Vidyapeeth, Rahuri (Maharashtra). He has also served as the Technical Director to the Pomegranate Growers Association. He is now the CEO and R&D Chief at R.B. Herbal Agro.

The Importance of Pomegranate
Pomegranate is a fruit that is expensive even when it is in season. This is mainly because the fruit has many medicinal properties. As it is a fruit that is so good for health, the demand for pomegranate continues to increase.
“It is very much useful in controlling prostate gland cancer. It also contains a high amount of antioxidants, which reduces heart problems and aging. It also has the ability to produce estrogen in women,” Mr. Ramdas said about pomegranate.

Details of the Disease
At first, identifying the cause of the disease was difficult. Mr. Ramdas explained that the anatomy of the pomegranate made bacteria an unlikely problem initially. He said, “Pomegranate rind is rich with tannins, which are antibacterial in nature.”

However, according to Mr. Ramdas the disease was later identified as a bacterium known as “XanthomonasOxanopodpvPunicea”. He continued on to explain the nature of the bacteria saying, “This bacteria can infect fruits, leaves and stems. Initially it appears as oily spots on leaves or fruits. It grows very fast, within 48 to 78 hours.”

R.B. Herbal Agro also conducted studies to determine when the disease was most common. Weather plays a large part in the occurrence of epidemics. The incidences of the disease are less common in the winter season but increase during the rainy season. The most favorable condition for the growth of these bacteria is high humidity - more than 65 % RH and a temperature range of 28 to 320C. It grows slowly at temperatures below 150C. It appears more in the rainy season when the temperature is 320C - 350C. These bacteria rarely breed in the winter season.

When the disease has progressed, there are various ways to identify it. One simple way to detect the disease is when a Y shaped crack appears on the fruit. Black spots and decaying leaves are also other symptoms. On the stem, it appears as a black spot with an oozing type wound leading to a dead arm.

Controlling the Disease
After extensive research and studies, R.B. Herbal Agro along with M.P.K.V. Rahuri have developed a solution for the disease. It is called Char Sutri Karyakram i.e. the “Four Point Program” and helps to control the spread of the disease. The four points are:
 Cleanliness,
 Horticultural practices,
 Fertilization and
 Scheduled sprays for disease control.

Cleanliness helps to reduce inoculums. The second point, horticultural practices, involves determining when to start seasons and determining how many fruits will grow on a plant. Fertilizing keeps the pomegranate healthy through organic manure. The scheduled spray helps control the growth of the bacteria. Mr. Ramdas recommends the following spray:
1] Prophyalexin 3 Ml + Cop-E 0.4 Gm - Per litre of water

2] R. B. Bordo 2.5 Gm + Sulfer 2 Gm – Per litre of water

3] Prophyalexin 3 Ml + PMBS 2.5 Gm - Per litre of water

4] Xanthonashak 0.5 Gm + R. B. Bordo 2.5 Gm – Per litre of water

5] Pseudo-FL 5 2 Ml + 5 Litres of Milk – Per litre of water

Mr. Ramdas explained additional research for better yield saying, “We have studied and gathered data on the role of potassium and nitrogen on Bacterial Blight. We also found that biofertilizer is a useful took to control bacterial blight.”Optimum levels of ‘N’ & ‘K’ are required in the plant tissue to fight against Bacterial Blight. Therefore, Mr. Ramdas recommends a suitable INM programme to have a higher yield without any incidence of the disease.

Training and Advice for Farmers
At the end of the day, the knowledge that R.B. Herbal Agro gains is shared with pomegranate farmers. R.B. Herbal Agro has done this through training programs for farmers. Mr. Ramdas shared that training programs are conducted at their training center and also at the field level. He proudly claims, “We have conducted about 300 training programs so far.”
Mr. Ramdas also had advice to share to the farmers growing pomegranate. He said, “We advise people to choose a scientific approach starting from soil analysis to select the soil for the plantation. Also, give more attention to root and soil health rather than only on pest control through the use of chemicals.”

According to Mr. Ramdas, there are thousands of success stories of farmers who have employed their methods. Farmers using the Four Point Program and correct bio-fertilizers are now enjoying good quality pomegranate.

Feel free to post your query or questions related to Pomegranate farming. Mr. Ramdas J. Patil or Editorial team of agricultureinformation.com shall respond the comments.

SWAMY1807

HI?
Growing pomegranate is good to get commercial income fro farmers.
It is good for farmer if farmer choose a scientific approach starting from soil analysis to select the soil for the plantation by saving saving.

Now all farmers fed up with uses of chemicals and fertilizers to control either root or any other diseases and pest control through the use of chemicals.
Game is over for farmers to win with chemical and fertilizer use to produce pomegranate as rates are gone up to sky and there by high production cost and low market value for their produce, finally ending up in huge loss.

In order to address such heavy losses, it is just and necessary to improve soil health along with plant health with locally available technicals and ingredients to control any problem either in the soil or in the plant.

This kind of practice not only increase soil and environment health. But we can reduce production cost along with pest and disease control.

There are thousands of success stories of farmers who have employed their methods which are practicing from decades. Usage of Four Point Program and correct bio-fertilizers may lead Farmers may end up with huge expenditure along with market exploitation from middle men.
Regards,
SWAMY

editorialteam

When does Pomegranate trees starts giving fruits?

One of our members wanted to know on an average how long it takes for Pomegranate trees to give fruits?

Regards,
Shweta

editorialteam

How to grow best quality Pomegranate?

Dear Mr. Patil,

Gaurav Deshpande who has recently grown Pomegranate trees in his farms wants to ask you -

" Basically nowadays, everything is driven by the demand in the market. Pomegranate has a very demand in the market. And we want to diversify ourselves in different types of fruits. I would want to know, is there is any particular technique to grow best quality of Pomegranate?"

Regards,
Shweta

tropex

I have 200 pomegranate plants aged about 3 years under organic farming. Couild u please confirm that the control procdures discribed by are in compliance with organic farming.
Feroz

gunda

pomograne plants

if any one is interested we can help them in growing good quality pomograntes. we will help them technically.

editorialteam

Dear Mr. Patil,

Gaurav Deshpande who has recently grown Pomegranate trees in his farms wants to ask you -

" Basically nowadays, everything is driven by the demand in the market. Pomegranate has a very demand in the market. And we want to diversify ourselves in different types of fruits. I would want to know, is there is any particular technique to grow best quality of Pomegranate?"

Regards,
Shweta
Mr. Ram Das Patil answered -

Dear Gaurav,

There is special treatment or method to adopt for growing good quality Pomegranate. provide more information about your orchard, we shall suggest you the required program.

narender64

Has any one conducted experiment by using panchagavya spray frequently to maintain resistance to the disease mentioned ?

editorialteam

I have 200 pomegranate plants aged about 3 years under organic farming. Couild u please confirm that the control procdures discribed by are in compliance with organic farming.
Feroz
Hi Feroz,

Mr. Patil answers -

"We can definitely grow & cultivate pomegranate organically. There are special methods for organic NIM & IPM. pl be in touch with us for your exact requirements."

Regards,
Shweta

editorialteam

Has any one conducted experiment by using panchagavya spray frequently to maintain resistance to the disease mentioned ?
Hi Narendra,

Mr. Ramdas Patil answers -

Very seldom people use panchagavya but do not keep any data, also to my opinion scientific study is required for its usage & alone this may not be sufficient.

Regards,
Shweta

editorialteam

Hello,

I am pomegranate farmer having more than 3000 trees in my orchard. its of 7 years age.. I am fighting bacterial blight from past 4 years. Kindly give more information regarding the growing techniques.

Thanks & Regards

shankar reddy
raichur

editorialteam

Hello,

I am pomegranate farmer having more than 3000 trees in my orchard. its of 7 years age.. I am fighting bacterial blight from past 4 years. Kindly give more information regarding the growing techniques.

Thanks & Regards

shankar reddy
raichur
Dear Mr. Reddy,

R.B.Herbal along with M.P.K.V. Rahuri worked extensively on this project and come out with solution to control this disease as a integrated approach we called it as ( Char Sutri Karyakram) i.e. Four Point Program. In which

1. Cleanliness - reduction of inoculums
2. Horticulture Practices – when to start seasons, number of fruits on bearing plant, only one crop in a year etc.
3. Fertilization – integrated nutrient management, use of organic manure, Biofertilizers and Chemical Fertilizers.
4. Spray Schedule to Control Disease – we recommend following effective spray to control this disease such kind of integrated approach is beneficial for control of Bacteria.

1] Prophyalexin 3 Ml + captan 2.5 Gm - Per Lit of Water

2] R. B. Bordo 5 Gm + Zn-E 1 Gm – Per Lit of Water

3] Prophyalexin 3 Ml + PMBS 2.5 Gm - Per Lit of Water

4] Xanthonashak 0.5 Gm + COC 2.5 Gm – Per Lit of Water

5] Pseudo-FL 5 Ml + 5 Ml Milk – Per Lit of Water – recommended in rainy season

By sharing the details regarding INM & other practices, we shall definitely overcome the problem of bacterial blight. My contact no is 09423179396 .

Regards,
Ram Das Patil

vijaigrewal

Pomegranate Farming-Rajasthan

Hi,
Iam interested in Pomegranate farming Rajasthan ( Sri Ganganagar).Can anyone throw light on following points.:

-is it commercially feasible in Rajasthan
-What is variety one should plant.
-The agronamic practices for such plant
-any other info which will help me to analyze the pro and cons of such venture.
-any other profitable horticulture alternative.

Thanks and Regards

Last edited:

editorialteam

As answered by Mr. Patil -

We do not recommend inter-cropping in pomegranate field except marigold & onion during first six month of plantation.

Regards,
Ram Das Patil

Dear Mr.Patil,

I am planning for a pomengranate farm. My farm is near Akola, Maharashtra. I want to know about the best variety of saplings. i.e. where will get the best of the saplings and how to identify the saplings. I want to grow Bhagava (or any other better variety as per your recommendtation) in my 5 acr land. Also if you can suggest about the best practices which I should follow?

Let me know the details you need from my side.

Thank you,
Gaurav

editorialteam

Dear Mr.Patil,

I am planning for a pomengranate farm. My farm is near Akola, Maharashtra. I want to know about the best variety of saplings. i.e. where will get the best of the saplings and how to identify the saplings. I want to grow Bhagava (or any other better variety as per your recommendtation) in my 5 acr land. Also if you can suggest about the best practices which I should follow?

Let me know the details you need from my side.

Thank you,
Gaurav
Dear Gaurav.

Bhagva is the best variety but in your area rainfall is more, therefore short duration variety Mrudula is suggested for you. for detailed cultivation practices i will send you a booklet after i receive postal address from you.

Regards.
Ramdas Patil.

Dear Gaurav.

Bhagva is the best variety but in your area rainfall is more, therefore short duration variety Mrudula is suggested for you. for detailed cultivation practices i will send you a booklet after i receive postal address from you.

Regards.
Ramdas Patil.
Dear Mr.Patil,

Thank you the suggestion.

You can send me booklet on :
Gaurav Deshpande,
C-103, Triveni Garden,
Behind Royal Residency,
Joshipada, Adharwadi,
Kalyan-West,
Dist Thane-421301
Mob: 9819971614.

Awaiting for the booklet.
Thank you,
Gaurav