Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

how to determine fertility of soil

Register

Click Here!

tarannum

Dear All,
am interested in buying agricultural land to start organic farming but having no prior experience or exposure to farming dont have a clue. i have some basic questions

1. how is the fertility of soil measured(in the absence of a scientific instrument what are the indicators to look out for

2. what kind of water source is ideal to have on the land (river canal or well)

3. how many years can land be left without cultivating it.

any answers will be deeply appreciated

regards

tarannum

padmanabhan_ganesan

Dear All,
am interested in buying agricultural land to start organic farming but having no prior experience or exposure to farming dont have a clue. i have some basic questions

1. how is the fertility of soil measured(in the absence of a scientific instrument what are the indicators to look out for
[Padmanabhan] - First thing is, it should have moisture and should not be dry.

[Padmanabhan] - Well or Farm Pond is under your control but river canal is beyond your control.

[Padmanabhan] - It does not matter as long as the sun does not fall on the soil directly.

regards

tarannum
My comments inline.

Regards
Padmanabhan Ganesan
Agriculture for Everybody

alwarn

Dear Sir, Wish you all the best. Kindly go through my blog to know the starting point. I myself is on the journey, but am in a position to share some practical experiences on the way...

shajathali

Dear All,

You can have Soil test

Under ground water through bore or well is suitable for organic agriculture because it is clean. River and canal irrigation is 100% polluted in India so if you use this the possibility of getting certification is less

It depens on how the existing farmer used, in maximum rain fed crop area normally farmers don't use chemicals so there is no meaning in finding the year left. Only soil test gives you result the traces of chemicals in the soil.

regards

tarannum

regards
shajath
We Care Realtors - Tamil Nadu

shajath@gmail.com