Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

How to construct a Natural Storage Water Tank in Chennai ?

Register

Click Here!

I am in the process of constructing a natural storage water tank. I would be pumping water from borewells into the storage tank and pumping out the water from the tank to the plants. I have dug a pit of 25 feet (length) x 15 feet (width) x 7 feet (height) to construct a sub-surface storage water tank

The conventional method of constructing a storage water tank is to construct a concrete water tank. I am interested in constructing a natural storage water tank with minimal tank lining and using construction aggregates as liner material without any cement plastering. I have the following queries

1. How should I go about constructing a natural water storage tank, what should be the process and materials required
  2. How can I avoid evaporation losses of water? The soil in the farm absorbs water very quickly. For instance we had 3 feet water in the dug up mud tank / pond sometime ago, and the water evaporated within 3 to 4 days. What should I do to ensure that water does not seep underneath and on the side walls of the tank? What materials should I use
Suggestions from experts on this forum will be very much appreciated

Regards

P S Krishnan
Chennai