Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Question How Profitable is Moringa (Drumsticks) Cultivation .

Register

Click Here!

rehmank

Hello,

I am planning Moringa(Drumsticks) on my farm. We have red loamy soil on a dry land belt. 4inch water is available from 2 borewells. We will opt for drip irrigation.

From the information i have, one can get 20tonnes yield per acre in one year. Current mandi rate for drumsticks is 35 rs/kg (say 30rs)
So, one can expect gross receipts of 30rsX20000kg=6lacs per acre per annum.

The cost involved is Land development + seeds/samplings.

Is this information correct??
Am i missing something??

Expecting advice from people already into moringa cultivation.

thanks in advance,
Rehman.

ponnarasan_h

Hello Rehman,

According to me, your planing is too good.. along with that, request you to add insecticide, pesticide, cow dung, labor cost and also transportation costs if applicable. Then, "You can do cross cultivation also" I mean .. under the steam of Drumstick tree.. seed Bottle-guard, Snake Guard and even you can grow hen in the same form.. which will add your benefit. you can grow grapes also....

Warm regards,
Ponnarasan P H

nvasaikar

Hello,

I am planning Moringa(Drumsticks) on my farm. We have red loamy soil on a dry land belt. 4inch water is available from 2 borewells. We will opt for drip irrigation.

From the information i have, one can get 20tonnes yield per acre in one year. Current mandi rate for drumsticks is 35 rs/kg (say 30rs)
So, one can expect gross receipts of 30rsX20000kg=6lacs per acre per annum.

The cost involved is Land development + seeds/samplings.

Is this information correct??
Am i missing something??

Expecting advice from people already into moringa cultivation.

thanks in advance,
Rehman.
your calculation for moringa is need some explanation

How many tree you taking into 1 Acre and what space are you keeping between two tree.

what are basis of your calculation lets have discuss first.

20000 tones is very high expectation

let's provide detail for further discussion

rehmank

@ponnarasan_h ponnarasan_
Thank you for your inputs, will find out if the plants you mentioned are compatible on our soil.

@nvasaikar
The spacing between moringa plants is advised at 7-10 feet depending on the purpose of cultivation ie for leaves / fruits / bark etc etc
I have considered 10feet, so it comes to 400 plants per acre.

The yield i have been told is 20 tonnes (NOT 20000 tonnes!!) from 2 crops of six months each.

This is what i need to verify, how much fruits/pods will the moringa tree bear in one crop??

Also can someone give a rough idea about:-
Labor cost : for sowing and plucking (of pods) for one acre for one crop?
Pesticide/insecticide cost : some rough idea would be helpful.

Thanks again!
Rehman.

SWAMY1807

Dear Rehaman,
Please note that application of mathematics in agriculture may not give correct figures.

With 4inch water is available from 2 bore why you planning only Moringa(Drumsticks) on farm? Go with multi crops for sustainable agriculture.

With best efforts you can get more than 20tonnes yield.

You can reduce the cost involved is Land development + seeds/saplings etc if you can?
Regards,
SWAMY

arjun11

Dear Swamy,

Can you please advise what is best options to go for multi cropping in red soil along with Moranga?
We intend taking up farming in 5 acres with good water supply and drip.

Thanks.
Arjun

Dear Rehaman,
Please note that application of mathematics in agriculture may not give correct figures.

With 4inch water is available from 2 bore why you planning only Moringa(Drumsticks) on farm? Go with multi crops for sustainable agriculture.

With best efforts you can get more than 20tonnes yield.

You can reduce the cost involved is Land development + seeds/saplings etc if you can?
Regards,
SWAMY

vriksha

be realistic about your profits from one acre

Although the suggestion for inter cultivation between moringa trees is good, Mr. Rehman is spacing his trees too closely for inter cultivation. The canopy of the trees will cast a shade upon the ground and this will not permit most vegetables or medicinal plants to grown in this shade.

Secondly, some sort of mechanical harvester for the pods will have to be purchased and adopted to cut down on harvesting time. The Local KVK should be able to suggest something in this regard.

Thirdly, transportation costs to the mandi will have to be factored in.

Fourthly the cost of manures and their application will also have to be taken into consideration.

Main point is----be happy and satisfied if after deducting all costs you are left with a profit of rupees one lakh per acre. Paddy, wheat and dals fetch only Rs. 10-15,000 per acre on ordinary farms with minimum effort. So if you can earn one lakh per acre you should consider yourself to be a RICH and SUCCESSFUL farmer. Good Luck!

rehmank

@swamy8123019678
Intercultivation is well-advised and more profitable, i agree. But with lack of labor in our area and also my inability to devote my full time, i am looking only at crops which are less labor intensive and less time consuming (my time). Hence the choice of moringa. Also as i said our land is in a dryland belt, we need to choose less water consuming crops.

@vriksha
Thank you for your inputs. Will keep that in mind.

Still waiting for a confirmation about the moringa yield!!
Anyone here actually cultivating it??

Regards,
Rehman

SWAMY1807

Dear Swamy,

Can you please advise what is best options to go for multi cropping in red soil along with Moranga?
We intend taking up farming in 5 acres with good water supply and drip.

Thanks.
Arjun
Arjun ,
You can choose what ever you want as per demand in you location. You can also introduce un known fruits crops in your location to get more profit from selling first by you.
All the best,
SWAMY

angela22

Moringa is an amazing super food and the vest thing about this tree is that every part of the plant is useable in one way or another renowned for its health and cosmetic benefits.

Last edited by a moderator:

sribhu

Have you planted Moringa

Have you planted , we are also planning for the same and appreciate if you can share your experience.

creativemandar

My Experience for Drumstick growers

Dear All,

I am cultivating Drumsticks in my farm on around 3 acres of area. My farm is located in Raigad District of Maharashtra. When started, I was quite new to farming. I ventured into agriculture on the basis of information gathered on net and visiting exhibitions and meeting drumstick farmers in Maharashtra.

I decided to plant drumstick on the basis of soil type, water availability. The 30-40 days old saplings were sourced from a reliable farmer who is into drumstick cultivation for many years. But the decision to plant the trees in Monsoon proved to be a mistek as the heavy rains in monsoon ruined the plantation. The plants were very delicate and could not withstand the heavy rains. The whole lot of 1200 plants were lost and had to be replanted in october. Now the plants are 9 months old started bearing pods. On the advice of the experts, I have done the pruning of the trees for better growth.

Now waiting for the first season of harvesting. Even I am wondering about the output in the first season... Expecting around 10-15 kg. of pods per plant. I have learnt that one plant gives 30-35 kg. output per season. Hope to have this result very soon. The rate expected is around Rs. 20-25 Kg. If I sale the produce in the farm itself. Exploring the different possibilities of Marketing for Better rates.

I am sharing my experience for the new farmers/growers and also to receive quality suggestions for better performance in yield and rates. All the best...

sachinp

economics of drumstick and profitability

Dear All,

I am cultivating Drumsticks in my farm on around 3 acres of area. My farm is located in Raigad District of Maharashtra. When started, I was quite new to farming. I ventured into agriculture on the basis of information gathered on net and visiting exhibitions and meeting drumstick farmers in Maharashtra.

I decided to plant drumstick on the basis of soil type, water availability. The 30-40 days old saplings were sourced from a reliable farmer who is into drumstick cultivation for many years. But the decision to plant the trees in Monsoon proved to be a mistek as the heavy rains in monsoon ruined the plantation. The plants were very delicate and could not withstand the heavy rains. The whole lot of 1200 plants were lost and had to be replanted in october. Now the plants are 9 months old started bearing pods. On the advice of the experts, I have done the pruning of the trees for better growth.

Now waiting for the first season of harvesting. Even I am wondering about the output in the first season... Expecting around 10-15 kg. of pods per plant. I have learnt that one plant gives 30-35 kg. output per season. Hope to have this result very soon. The rate expected is around Rs. 20-25 Kg. If I sale the produce in the farm itself. Exploring the different possibilities of Marketing for Better rates.

I am sharing my experience for the new farmers/growers and also to receive quality suggestions for better performance in yield and rates. All the best...

Dear Sir
Thank you for sharing good experience
Can you email me per acre cost and economics and yield of drumstick.
contact number pls.

Regards
Sachin Palkar
sachinp125@yahoo.com

sachinp

Dear All,

Dear Sir,

I am new in growing drumstick near Thane
can you please share your mobile number
or call me 9819175533 or email sachinp125@yahoo.com

rahul d

HI
I would just like to continue on this old thread by requesting for any information that you can give regarding cultivation of moringa in Goa (for leaves).

The soil is mostly sandy. Any idea how much yield of leaves I can expect in an acre, price for dried leaves and also if there is a market for dried leaves (dried using a dryer).

Thanks in advance

dineshgabhane

can you please tell where in raigad your farm is. I like to visit personally

Dear All,

can you please tell where in raigad your farm is. I like to visit personally

dhanraj21

Hi, I am Ravi Thorat,a farmer from Shrirampur Maharashtra.I am planning to cultivate about 6 acres of drumstick in a my land having black cotton soil.Can any body suggest me the variety and guide me about the same i.e. method of cultivation,irrigation,harvesting,marketing yield,profit and other concern parameters.
Thanks.
Ravi.
+91-9422245560.
ravithorat21@gmail.com

shanmuga06

Hi Rehman,

The moringa cultivation is very good commercial cultivation now a days.But I think that you wn't get Rs six lakh in one acre.In Tamilnadu there is pumper this yield this year an acount of no rain.So merchants of the/market sell the moringa as bundle like 20 moringa sricks for ten rupees.In Tamilnadu the hotel people used the moringa in sambar,pachadi,curry and fried curry regularly.So you have quoted Rs 30/- also too high in tamilnadu.Last year i have purchased one moringsa stick for ten rupess.So this is the yield and marketing viablity.Some body stated that doing of intercrop in moringa is not suitable since the moringa tree/plants are very softy .So if labours move in the moringa garden firstup all flower sheddling will be there and the branchs also be broken without their knowledge.

regards

a sivakumar,

nkjohri

At the risk of bursting a few bubbles here, I would like to offer advice for this group's long term success.

Most discussions are around soil type and cultivation methods. It is equally important to realize the market potential and expected returns on investment / effort. Unless this is a hobby, I would think each of us would like to see at least an appreciable profit. In our experience, we realized that Monringa pods are a commodity produce and did not warrant any long term serious investment. Farmgate rates range between Rs 10-25 per kg in Tamil Nadu. Do not compare your margin based on the grocery shop price, instead investigate the farm-gate or mandi price to understand the true arithmetic for your cultivation. In our case, Moringa Pods have become a steady side track with marginal profits and though it is easy to cultivate we do not plan to increase any acreages.

Good luck!

atul shah

Drum stick cultivation

Have you planted , we are also planning for the same and appreciate if you can share your experience.
pl call back we are intrested in 100 acre DRUM STICK PLANTATION in Gujarat.atul shah cell 09898809898