Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

how can we compress and bottle the bio gas

Register

Click Here!

Ashwini

HI

Biogas is a clean-burning, easily produced, natural fuel that is an important source of energy for cooking and heating in rural areas and third world countries. Anaerobic bacterial inside biodigesters break down biomass to produce biogas (which is 70% methane). Currently there is no simple way to compress and store biogas. So, in order to use biogas as a source of energy, a direct feed from biodigeser to the stovetop or heater must be made. Any excess biogas is vented into the atmosphere, which is wasteful and can have a negative effect on the environment. We have been tasked with designing a system that will be able to compress biogas using an off-grid power supply, making the biogas portable and compact. This allows for storage of any excess biogas and makes biogas a more feasible source of energy for an entire community through the use of large-scale, shared biodigester.

Regards
Ashwini

niksnarayana

Check on Google. IIT Delhi has developed a techinique for bottling. You have to remove excess Co2 from biogas to make it compressable.

Nikhil

Biogas Enrichment & Compression

A variety of processes are available for enrichment i.e. removing CO2, H2S and water vapour. Commonly CO2 removal processes also remove H2S. One of the easiest and cheapest methods involves is the use of pressurized water as an absorbent liquid. In this method, the biogas is pressurized and fed to the bottom of a scrubber column where water is sprayed from the top. In counter-currently operated absorption process, the carbon dioxide and hydrogen sulfide present in the biogas is absorbed in down going water and methane goes up and collected in vessel. However, water requirement in this process is high but it is the simplest method of removing impurities from biogas

Enriched biogas is made moisture free by passing it through filters after that it is compressed upto 200 bar pressure using a three stage gas compressor. Compressed gas is stored in high-pressure steel cylinders as used for CNG.

Besides this technology, ZEOLITE MOLECULAR SIEVES technology can also used for the purification. The advantages of this technology is as follows.

• Enrichment of raw – biogas through high grade imported ZMS sieves.

• Impurities of H2S & CO2 are adsorbed & vented.

• Process for storage & enrichment of vented CO2 under progress.

• 95 – 97% content of CH4 assured, with balance CO2.

• No water required, negligible power consumption.

• Ideal for industrial application.

• For use in big cattle dairy farms, food processing industry, sugar industry, distilleries, chemical plants, hotels, railway stations, airports, municipal waists, and sewage treatment plant.

Thanks and regards.
Pramod Hati

vijay chakrawar

Instead of compressing & bottling I think we can collect in tubes of vehicle from gas digester with the help of pipe & then we can place this filled tube on top of house from there we can connect it to gas burner for use

hdashti

Biogas Enrichment & Compression

Hi,

On googleing I came across this ans
Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

I personally don't think it is economical - but I will give you the answer anyway as you asked.

Bio gas is approximately 60% methane and 40% co2 and traces of H2S (I guess you already know that). First, you might want to get rid of H2S as it will be corrosive - running the gas through iron shavings should do the trick.

second, you might want to get rid of the CO2 (it is going to take a lot of space - unless the pressure you ship the gas is much more than 50 atm, obviously depends on the temperature) - easy way will be to run it through lime solution but it is going to take energy to recycle lime (or you can compress the bio gas to a high enough pressure and low enough temperature and at the point when CO2 liquifies, try to get rid of it).

finally comes to the cylinders part. propane cylinders contain a lot of cooking gas the stuff inside is liquid. methane is pretty stubborn like hydrogen - you just can't compress it hard enough to liquify it unless the temperature is pretty low and stuff (just look at this page for methane properties: http://encyclopedia.airliquide.com/encyc…

So, well, you can just use any good piston based compressor, decide the pressure limits on the gas cylinders (propane tanks should be around 8-10 atm, safe limit as propane is supposed to liquify at this pressure, i think - you can find this from airliquide site also) - and supply cylinders filled with methane at this pressure. now, a 14 kg cylinder I use in india is probably around 25 liters inner volume and if you give me compressed methane of 250 liters, it is barely equalent to 0.2 liters of propane for me.

anyway... good luck - if you still want to pursue this path. feel free to ask me any questions as i have thought a lot about bio gas a few years ago and researched quite a bit.

Habib

dp12005

Hey habib,
that was a valuable info, if you can tell me what will be the quantity of biogas in liters if i want 15kg of compressed bio CNG, also how many kg of BIO CNG can be produced from 100M3 of raw Biogas,

You can reply me
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

ag_aman2004

Hi Mr. Pramod,

What is the life of ZEOLITE MOLECULAR SIEVES? How frequent we have to change the sieve? what will be the cost? What about iron fillings method?

Thanks
Amanullah Ag.

ZMS System

Dear Sir,

Please find following infomation on ZMS.

FAQ ABOUT ZMS

1. What quantity of water is required for 500M3 enrichment plant?

WATER IS NOT REQUIRED FOR ZMS SYSTEM. WATER IS REQUIRED ONLY FOR COMPRESSOR COOLING.

2. Whether any CHEMICALS will be required for the process. If YES, indicate it with quantity requirements with their cost.

ZINC CATALYST AND ACTIVATED CARBON ARE REQUIRED TO BE REPLACED ONCE IN A YEAR TO 2 YEARS. (DEPENDING UPON H2S CONTENTS IN GAS). PRESENTLY THE CHARGE OF THESE CHEMICALS WILL COST AROUND RS.1.5 LACS.

3. Is it necessary to replace (Charge again) Activated alumina and Zeolite Molecular Sieves (ZMS)? Please indicate the duration of charging.

ZMS AND ACTIVATED ALUMINA ARE REQUIRED TO BE REPLACED AFTER AROUND 5-6 YEARS.

4. What quantity of Activated alumina and Zeolite Molecular Sieves (ZMS) required per batch of charging and what is the cost.

ZMS 1200 KG AND ACTIVATED ALUMINA 600 KGS IS THE CHARGE QUANTITY. AS PER TODAYS PRICE, THE CHARGE WILL COST AROUND RS. 10.0 LACS

5. Is (Activated alumina and Zeolite Molecular Sieves (ZMS)) it available in the market and who are the suppliers?

ZMS AND ACTIVATED ALUMINA CAN BE SUPPLIED BY US.

6. What is the manpower required to operate the plant.

ONE OPERATOR IS ADEQUATE. EVEN THE OPERATOR NEED NOT BE PRESENT ALWAYS. THE PLANT IS PRACTICALLY OPERATORLESS.

Thanks and regards.
Pramod Hati

Last edited by a moderator: