Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Guidance please

Register

Click Here!

ashok joshi

I have a tubewell with ample water - 7.5 HP submersible pump, 3" discharge. But we have only 8 to 9 hrs power /day. I am thinking of building an overhead water tank for sprinkler/drip irrigation. I plan to cover minimum 19 acres partly Horti (planned) & partly Agri. If possible, I would like to cover another 10 acre accross the village road. Is it too ambitious? I am inclined because it would be eco-friendly and probably pocket-friendly too. If it is practically possible, please advise size of tank (in Litres), height of tank for successful sprinkler/drip irrigation. Another option is DG set which leads to pollution and huge recurring cost.
Regards,
Ashok Joshi

essabee

Ashok
I am 60 years old and have made my living from an age of 18 from farming till my younger son took over my 56 acre farm. I have forgotten more about farming than most people have learnt - and I can teach anyone farming at any level.

I never had electricity and by the time it became available - I did not need it. What you should do is integrate a dairy with your farm - use the dung for gobargas (methane mostly) - use that to run a genset and you will be independent from the slip-slop electrical supply.

First calculate your power consumption for the genset - the agricultural irrigation need should cover the lift from the bore and also the irrigation pump for your drip irrigation. It would always be cheaper to use a ground level tank for water which is not only cheap to construct but if you use pond liners then they are efficient water containers. Calculate power for the slurry pump to send the used up dung slurry to the field as an additional irrigation power requirement.

Calculate power for the cowshed washing need and and also grinding machine for cow feed - don't rely on ready made feeds they cause a lot of trouble - making your own is cheaper and better. Also calculate power for any fodder cutting machine (it would be the same as for a husking machine for the agricultural side).

Add all that up and add a margin of 15% to it. Look for 1) a natural gas driven genset of that capacity, 2) a gobargas plant that can supply the need of the engine (with a margin to spare), and number of cattle you need to run the gobargas. Plan the Dairy and integrate it with the farm (if the ground level reservoir, for your drip irrigation, is more than 4 feet deep you could also plan a small fishery or ornamental fish breeder).

Think Big
regards
essabee

parameshwar_h

Sir (essabee),
Many thanks for your reply. It seems you have a very innovative and eco-friendly agriculture set up. Peease send me your contact address.

Regards
Parameshwar Hegde

aftabbharmal

Hello Param,

if you have made any calculation or progress as per the essabee's reply .. pls do post.. it here.

Its a lot of information that could be really helpfull..

THanks
Aftab
Bhavnagar - Gujarat
INDIA