Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Good Books on Dairy farming and feeding

Register

Click Here!

arunmaalik

Dear All,

I am a computer engginer and want to setup a Dairy farm , please suggest me some good books for Dairy farming and feeding

SWAMY1807

Dear Computer Engineer,
Farming is like practical work not theory. Better you meet Agriculture/Horticulture officer in your Taluk/block for more details.
SWAMY.

prateekvaish

Nothing is more practical than theory. Govt.Experts only know that much about dairy and agriculture as much i know about greek and latin. Try Reading Livestock Management by NSR Sastri and Thomas, Blacks Veterinary Dictionary, Polyvet journals, Principles of livestock breeding by Sunderasan, drugs and animal diseases by Verma, handbook of animal husbandry published by icar.

Regards,

Prateek

cssandip

Hi..

Best suggestion to Mr. Arun,

Better you can meet to farmers around in your area and share your views and suggestions with them vice versa.

You will bet good practical knowlege, at the initial stage it must.

agri_man

Dear Mr. Swamy,

So what happens if he meets agriculture/horticulture officers in his taluk? Will they give him " practical work" packed in a box so he can walk it home and start using it the next day?? It doesn't matter how you acquire knowledge, so long as you can acquire it. Having said that, I do agree with you (without a doubt) that practical knowledge is essential to succeed in dairy but then he was only asking us here on the forum for a book suggestions.

I second Prateek vaish on his suggestions

Anyways, if everyone were to go to a taluk office for "more details" then why have a forum like this at all?? Beats the purpose no?? :)

Rgds

Dear Computer Engineer,
Farming is like practical work not theory. Better you meet Agriculture/Horticulture officer in your Taluk/block for more details.
SWAMY.

PS: I also notice that the gentleman who is asking the question has a name "arunmaalik".

Last edited:

arunmaalik

Dear Sirs ,
My Name is Mr Arun , i am happy with agri_man wording that "PS: I also notice that the gentleman who is asking the question has a name "arunmaalik".

Any how , i know that practical knowldge require , as my father all ready have 10 cow , i want to make them 50 with modern style , so here is my steps in order to make my dairy farm model
1)Will study 5-10 books on Dairy farming (I love learning)
2)Will visit 3-4 Good dairy
3)Will talk with Dairy farmer
4)Will make a project report
5)Will apply to banker
6)Will start practicing .

Thats why first i need the name of some good books which containe topics like
-->How to set up dairy farm
-->Prerequest for dairy farming
-->feedin
-->Breeding
-->Selection of cow
-->Vetenery also
i mean as much as possible i want to take thoritical knowldger before going to visit any modern dairy farm . Also i know that its not just like easy but very interesting for me

agri_man

Arun,

1) Try to read books that Prateek has suggested.
2) Yes please visit dairy farms and see different farm layouts used. Talk to the owners to ascertain how they manage the labor, how they procure the feed etc etc

Apart from this, if you can afford to and if you feel that a dairy consultant can bring in more knowledge than what your father knows then please hire a very good dairy consultant. Dairy farming is a very vast subject and the industry is very dynamic and always changing due to technological advancements. So please make sure you hire somebody with impeccable background. Kindly check their credentials before you pay them any money. If you do find someone, please ask for projects they have done. Visit those farms if you can or call the owners of these farms where the consultant has offered his service to cross check. Once you are satisfied then you can hire the consultant. Its pays to buy someone else experience.
Good luck

Rgds

5)Will apply to banker

-->feedin
-->Breeding
-->Selection of cow
-->Vetenery also
i mean as much as possible i want to take thoritical knowldger before going to visit any modern dairy farm . Also i know that its not just like easy but very interesting for me

You may go through our compiled 'operation manual' that we provide to entrepreneurs while we render our services for setting up organized dairy farm at:

Last edited by a moderator:

SWAMY1807

Dear Agriman,

1. So what happens if he meets agriculture/horticulture officers in his taluk?
Ans-He may not get more reliable successful farmers to meet them very near to his place, because all members of this Forum are not able to get his address to know more on Arun, Consultants may not offer their expertise with free of cost. In this background the Officers only can practically guide Arun with cost cutting.

Even anyone can do the proposed activity, who has to give permission/no objection certificate for your project? Govt. Office concerned or any one of this Forum? If any one wants to get any benefit from govt. then they has to follow representing govt. officer guidelines for benefit.

2. Will they give him " practical work" packed in a box so he can walk it home and start using it the next day??
Ans-Have you given any " practical work" packed in a box through this forum so Arun can walk it with home and start using it now? NO. No one can give practical work in packed box to any one, but the person who want to do something and gain practical experience on his own efforts.

This forum is the place only to exchange our views/experiences/success stories etc.

3. It doesn't matter how you acquire knowledge, so long as you can acquire it. But to implement it and to get benefit of possible subsidy and to provide personal expertise guidelines after visiting his farm etc will be given by those Officials located at Arun's jurisdiction with free of cost and it may not possible for forum members to do the same. Cost cutting is also a winning situation of success. Governments are encouraging for farming activities in different ways and make use of them for our benefit.

All should do agree without any doubt that practical knowledge is essential to succeed in dairy. Arun may asking us here on the forum for a book suggestions. But only book references may not give perfect knowledge & should guide him proper way too.

Always, if anyone may not go to a taluk office or any office concerned with their need for "more details" then the forum like this will not give the above said service and possible subsidy at all?? Finally the person who may not go to concerned office will be the looser of various benefits offering by the Govt.

Surely my logic suffice or Beats the purpose ?? :)

A successful farmer is living University in Agriculture activities.
Rgds

agri_man

1. So what happens if he meets agriculture/horticulture officers in his taluk?
My Ans -Our Government employees are atleast 10 years behind in terms of recent developments in dairy technology. Show me how many govt offices even respond to your emails when you write to them asking for suggestions/queries? If you pay them a personal visit, most of the time you are cold shouldered and given vague answers. Also, who in a government office has to the time to explain the intricacies of breed management, dairy hygiene, milk marketing, fodder management etc etc??. Im sure you know dairy is a very vast subject. No taluk officer will teach you all this. If you set out to learn all this "practically" it would surely mean you will end up losing a lot of money. Therefore, READ. Understand dairy terminology better. Understand the basics. Hire a PAID consultant.

Even anyone can do the proposed activity, who has to give permission/no objection certificate for your project? Govt. Office concerned or any one of this Forum? If any one wants to get any benefit from govt. then they has to follow representing govt. officer guidelines for benefit.
Arun was asking for books on dairy farming and not about governmental procedures to acquire various licenses. ( I'm not too sure if you even require any license to start a dairy)

2. Will they give him " practical work" packed in a box so he can walk it home and start using it the next day??
Ans-Have you given any " practical work" packed in a box through this forum so Arun can walk it with home and start using it now? NO. No one can give practical work in packed box to any one, but the person who want to do something and gain practical experience on his own efforts.
I'd best believe I gave Arun "meaningful advise" to start with.

This forum is the place only to exchange our views/experiences/success stories etc.
"Views" could be wrong and biased ?? Correct information is what this forum if for.

3. It doesn't matter how you acquire knowledge, so long as you can acquire it. But to implement it and to get benefit of possible subsidy and to provide personal expertise guidelines after visiting his farm etc will be given by those Officials located at Arun's jurisdiction with free of cost and it may not possible for forum members to do the same. Cost cutting is also a winning situation of success. Governments are encouraging for farming activities in different ways and make use of them for our benefit.
Arun is just seeking knowledge and not benefits at this point in time???

Always, if anyone may not go to a taluk office or any office concerned with their need for "more details" then the forum like this will not give the above said service and possible subsidy at all?? Finally the person who may not go to concerned office will be the looser of various benefits offering by the Govt.
Please try to understand what Arun needs. He has mentioned he is a computer engineer who aspires to venture into dairy farming and is seeking books to know more about the business. Subsidy/government clearance and all the paperwork you are talking about may be irrelevant to him at this point in time.

Surely my logic suffice or Beats the purpose ?? :)
Beats the purpose :)

A knowledgeable farmer can be a successful farmer.

harish25

Dear Sirs ,
My Name is Mr Arun , i am happy with agri_man wording that "PS: I also notice that the gentleman who is asking the question has a name "arunmaalik".

Any how , i know that practical knowldge require , as my father all ready have 10 cow , i want to make them 50 with modern style , so here is my steps in order to make my dairy farm model
5)Will apply to banker

-->feedin
-->Breeding
-->Selection of cow
-->Vetenery also
Hi Arun
I am Harish, and I am from bangalore and i too also interested in starting of a Dairy form can I have your contact no so that we can share our idea, you can contact me on this number
Thanks and regards
Harish

mohanreddy

Hi Harish

Hi Arun
I am Harish, and I am from bangalore and i too also interested in starting of a Dairy form can I have your contact no so that we can share our idea, you can contact me on this number +91 9916580650
Thanks and regards
Harish
Hi Harish,
Me too from Blore in plan of setting up dairy farm. Please contact me

Regards
Mohan

arunmaalik

Dear All,

First try to understand that i am not saying that i will not go to visit live dairy farm no . Sure i wil go to visit dairy farm as u people suggested . But before visiting any firm i wanted to study 4-5 good books on dairy farming , and i have already searched in Google , still i posted this question here by keeping in the mind that , It may be that you people may have a good experience and definitely may had studied many good books , hence you could have suggested some good little but may be not ....

Any way Thanks for your quick reply