Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Goat Farming

Register

Click Here!

seenarobin

Hi,
i would like to start a goat farm in wayanad and my plan is to start in large scale .like 500 to 1000 goats. befor i am starting my project i need to get a rough idea. if anybody doing goat farming please advice me .
Q1. is it possible in cold weather like wayanad district ?
Q2. IF the weather is ok whitch breed is suitable for meat?
Q3. How about the marketing ?any problem to sell or marketing large amount?
Q3.what is the main problem we need to face in goat farming?

please give me a idea before i entring to this project.
cheers.

murali_rani

Sheep farming

Hi ,
I am interested in Sheep farming.
Can anybody give the Project estimate for 100~200 sheep and how much area required.
More over I am planning to purchase land about 2~5 acres around Bangalore (100~200 KM) at a reasonable price.
Please contact me
regards
murali

Last edited by a moderator:

kirti s

Dear sir,

Why do goat rearing?

Goat is a multi functional animal and plays a significant role in the economy and nutrition of landless, small and marginal farmers in the country. Goat rearing is an enterprise which has been practiced by a large section of population in rural areas. Goats can efficiently survive on available shrubs and trees in adverse harsh environment in low fertility lands where no other crop can be grown. In pastoral and agricultural subsistence societies in India, goats are kept as a source of additional income and as an insurance against disaster. Goats are also used in ceremonial feastings and for the payment of social dues. In addition to this, goat has religious and ritualistic importance in many societies. The advantages of goat rearing are :

2 Scope for goat rearing and its national importance

2.1 The country has 115.278 million goat as per 1992 livestock census has increased to 120.8 million in 1997 and ranks first in the world. The state wise goat population is given in Annexure-I. Goat meat production stands at the level of 0.47 million tonnes. The slaughter rate of goat is at the level of 39.7 % as compared to 31.8% for sheep and 11% for buffaloes respectively. Goat also produce 2.55 million tonnes of milk and 0.1288 million tonnes of skin as per FAO 189 records 2002 report (Annexure-II).The trend in consumption of mutton and goat meat shows increase from 467000MT in 1981 to 696000 MTin 2002indicating annual compound growth rate of 1.28 % during 92-02.Sheep and goat meat production has reached 700400MT during 2002in India. Ovine meat export has touched 29670 thousand $ during 2000 which was then reduced to 5635thousand $ during 2001.

2.2 Goat make a valuable contribution to the livelihood of economically weaker sections of the society. Amongst the livestock owners goat rearers are the poorest of the lot.

2.3 Realising the importance of goat in the agrarian economy of the country, various developmental activities have been taken up by Govt.of India. The Central Government had established Central Institute for Research on Goats at Makhdoom, Farah, Mathura District,UttarPradesh. During VIII Plan Period Seven Intensive goat breeding farms were proposed with the objectives:

i) To produce 1000 stud bucks per year for the distribution among goat rearers

ii) To improve yield of milk and chevon through selective breeding of regular breeds like Jamnapari, Beetal, Barbari, Jakhrana, Jhalawadi.

iii) Cross breeding of non Pashmina goats with Angora goats to produce Mohair in Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh.

iv) To conserve germ plasm of regular breeds like Jamnapari, Beetal, Barbari, Black Bengal, Malbari, Sirohi etc.
Selection of breeding stock and it's management:

1. Immediately after release of the loan purchase the stock from a reliable breeders or from nearest livestock market.

2. Animals in good health and having good physical features must be purchased in consultation with Veterinarian/ Bank's technical officer.

3. Purchase animals which are ready to breed and in prime stage of production.

4. Identify the newly purchased animals by suitable identification mark.

5. Vaccinate the newly purchased animals against the diseases

6. Keep the newly purchased animals under observation for about 15 days and then mix with the general flock.

7. Unproductive animals should be culled promptly and should be replaced by the newly purchased animals or farm born one

8. Animals are to be bred at the interval of 8-9 months for maximum productivity.

9. Cull the old animals at the age of 6 years and above.

10. Avoid the kidding during peak periods of summer and winter.

III. Feeding management:

1. Ensure Bushes/shrubs for browising of animals

2. As an alternative to above, supply of cultivated fodder from own farm or from surrounding farms may be ensured.

3. Offer roughages adlib.

4. As a thumb rule 2/3rds of the energy requirements should be met through roughages. Half of the roughages should be leguminous green fodders and rest half should be grasses/tender tree leaves.

5. In the absence of good quality green fodders, concentrates must be considered to replace them.

6. Kids should be fed colostrum upto 5 days of age. Later on they can be put on Kid starter rations.

7. Green leguminous fodders should be offered adlib. to kids from 15 days onwards.

8. Provide salt and water to kids at all times

9. Additional concentrates should be given to bucks and does during breeding season.

10. Care should be taken to meet the nutrient requirements as recommended (Annexure-IX).

IV. Protection against diseases:

1. Be on the alert for signs of illness such as reduced feed intake, fever, abnormal discharge or unusual behaviour.

2. Consult the nearest veterinary aid centre for help if illness is suspected.

3. Protect the animals against common diseases.

4. In case of outbreak of contagious diseases, immediately segregate the sickanimals from healthy one and take necessary disease control measures.

5. Deworm the animals regularly.

6. Examine the faeces of adult animals to detect eggs of internal parasites and treat the animals with suitable drugs.

7. Provide clean and uncontaminated feed and water for minimising the health disorders.

8. Strictly follow the recommended vaccine schedule as given in Fig. 2.

V. Breeding care:

1. It should be planned to obtain 3 kiddings in 2 years period by adopting optimal management conditions.

2. For every 25 does one buck should be provided in one breeding season.

3. Breed the animals 12 hours after the onset of the first symptoms of heat for maximum conception.

4. Unbreedable animals must be examined thoroughly as directed by veterinary doctor for prompt elimination of causes for anoestrum or cull them if necessary.

VI. Care during pregnancy:

In advanced stage of pregnancy the does must be transferred to either kidding pens or separately earmarked space for kidding with in the main shed after thoroughly disinfecting it. After kidding, the does should be provided with warm bran mash for two days.

VII. Care of kids:

1. Take care of new born kids by providing guard rails.

2. Treat / disinfect the naval cord with tincture of iodine as soon as it is cut with a sharp knife.

3. Protect the kids from extreme weather conditions, particularly during the first two months.

4. Dehorn the kids during first two weeks of age

5. Male kids should be castrated for better quality meat production.

6. Vaccinate the kids as per the recommended schedule

7. Wean the kids at the age of 8 weeks

8. Proper selection of kids on the basis of initial body weight and weaning weight should be initiated by maintaining appropriate records for replacing the culled adult stock as breeders.

9. Additional feed requirements of lactating does must be ensured for proper nursing of all the piglets born.

VIII.Marketing:

The marketable products of goat farming includes the fattened kids, manure, culled animals. Marketing avenues for the above products are slaughter houses and individual meat consuming customers and agriculture farms. Therefore availability of either slaughtering facilities or traders who will purchase live animals should be ensured to convert the fatteners into wholesome meat and meat products. Further, demand for manure from nearby agriculture farms must also be ensured.

Before starting any business ,entrepreneur should know pin point details about business he want to set up.however in your case it is better to take training on Goat management.training will helpful you to know details of goat farming as well as preparing a project report.It is difficult to send project report on this forum .Also things and market prices of intruments,equipments and construction are varying according to regions.So better to take training and prepare a project report on your own.As and when if you submit this project report,agriculture officer and manager of financial institute will see viability of ypur project and can ask you about detals of project or mentioned things in project.
If you want training on goat farming,Krishi vigyan kendra,Baramati regulay arranges training on goat farming,Cattle farming,poultry rering etc.,For details or nomination of training ,you can write a letter by giving your detail postal address and contact number on following address:
Program Coordinator,
Krishi vigyan Kendra,
Malegaon colony,Shardanar,
Tal- Baramati,Dist- Pune
Pin-413 115
Phone-02112 255207

Regards

Kirti s

drsarkar

Dear seenarobin ,

Hello & Welcome from GGDFCS - Livestock Project Consultancy Services , M.P. & Rajasthan and offering total turnkey projects with A - Z management / consultancy on Goats ( Sirohi , Jamunapari , Jakhrana , Barbari , Osmanabadi , Black Bengal ) . Complete Project report with training & awareness , rotational & shurbs grazing mgmt., design & implementataion , low cost feed formulae , R & D section , health + hygiene + sanitation , kid mgmt. , Mumbai Marketing etc. We have more than 17 yrs. expertise with GO / NGO sector , Commercial units , DFID + UNDP-CEE projects for Rural & Urban sector .

If requires our services , plz contact :

Dr. D.N.Sarkar ,
Please contact....

seenarobin

To
Dr D N Sarkar
thaks for the reply
i will contact you soon when i ready to start or get the time to achive training coz i need time for the all neccesserry arrangements so i can cope well.
cheers.
seena robin.

subbus

Dear seenarobin ,

Hello & Welcome from GGDFCS - Livestock Project Consultancy Services , M.P. & Rajasthan and offering total turnkey projects with A - Z management / consultancy on Goats ( Sirohi , Jamunapari , Jakhrana , Barbari , Osmanabadi , Black Bengal ) . Complete Project report with training & awareness , rotational & shurbs grazing mgmt., design & implementataion , low cost feed formulae , R & D section , health + hygiene + sanitation , kid mgmt. , Mumbai Marketing etc. We have more than 17 yrs. expertise with GO / NGO sector , Commercial units , DFID + UNDP-CEE projects for Rural & Urban sector .

If requires our services , plz contact :

Dr. D.N.Sarkar ,
Please contact....
To

Dr. D.N. Sarkar,

Deat sir i would like to start a stall fed goat farm in Tamil Nadu. Before that i need training for goat farming. You are charging any fee for the training let me know so, please give me the details

thanking you
with regards

adlakha

goats for sale.we deals in all breed of goat (livestok) Goat Farmiing India is not a new name in industry, after the successful implementation of various agro based business concepts like aloe vera, we have come up with goat farming india after the great demand of over india.visit our website,Goat Farmiing India or feel free to call tks

rajareddy003

Dear All,

I have 100 acres of land in Ap. I want to start goat/sheep/dairy farms (may be three or any one). But i am not getting information completly any where.

Plz send some information like:

1)Address/phone numbers of farms already running near to Bangalore/chennai/Andhra pradesh.

2) any documents or vedioes you have .

Plz mail it to me or contact me

regards
raja

rangaraj_2010

i have one consultancy contact number

[dear friend, i have one consultancy contact number. if you call to my number,i will give details.
rangarajan