Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Goat Farming

Register

Click Here!

nareshmllb

Hi Friends, i am planning to setup a small goat fram, can any one let me know the cost of Green Fodder required for the farm of around 100 goats.... also what would be ideal size of the land to cultivate enough green fodder for the animals..
Regards
Naresh

smy82482

Dear nareshmllb,
For 100 goats you have to cultivate fodder on farm land.Goat farming will not be as much profitable to you, if you purchase fodder from market.The ideal size of land to cultivate green fodder for 100 goats and their kids is 5acres,fertile land with plenty of water supply.
Regards,
DR.Shaikh
www.osmanabadigoat.com
www.goatfarm.co.in

shisri

Hi Friends, i am planning to setup a small goat fram, can any one let me know the cost of Green Fodder required for the farm of around 100 goats.... also what would be ideal size of the land to cultivate enough green fodder for the animals..
Regards
Naresh

hi,

wishing you all the best, i would like suggest you some tips. before that i like to know where are you from? what type of breed you are going to rear.

for more detailed discussion please send mail on

Last edited by a moderator:

mikhail

TECHNICAL INFORMATION ON SILAGE:
1. Silage means 'Conserved green grass/fodder'.
2. Silage is produced by controlled 'anaerobic fermentation, of a crop high in moisture content’.
3. Ensilage is the name given to the process.
4. Container used to store silage is called as - 'Silo'.
5. Please note - in this document 'maize silage' means - whole crop maize silage with cobs/ears at 2nd milk line / early dent stage.
6. Silage crops – ideal for our business module are - Maize, Sorghum, Lucerne etc.,
7. Silage shelf life - Minimum 2 years - under anaerobic conditions.
8. Silage yield (under drip irrigation) – 20 tons/1 acre / 1 crop of 80 days.
9. Three crops of -maize for silage / 1 acre / annum under drip irrigation is possible – with a holiday crop after every 2 crops of maize – to maintain fertility and to get better yields.
10. Silage yield of 60 metric tons (from 3 crops) / 1 acre / annum under drip irrigation.
11. Silage yield- under rain fed conditions - average 10 tons / 1 acre / 1 crop.
12. Silage requirement /1 breeder unit /1 breeding cycle of 8 months = 63 tons.
13. 1 breeder unit means – 100 females + 4 males.
14. Silage requirement / 1 fattening cycle of 4 months –after 2 months on milk from their mothers = 32 tons.
15. 1 fattening unit means – 108 lambs.
16. Stocking rate - from 1.5 acres of Maize + 0.5 acres Lucerne cultivation is – one breeder unit + one fattening unit / per 1 cycle

jayan717

Regards
Naresh
You can take help / necessary training from following goat farms...check the web site and contact them...

If you interested to partner ship.. I am willing to partnership by investing on your goat farm..

regards,...Jayakumar...

Last edited by a moderator: