Goat Farm Solutions

Register

munawar

want to start a farm.

Dear Sir,

First I would like to thank you for your endeavour to help other people who wants to start the farm and the people who need advice and direction to run it.

Sir, we want to start a goat farm in our village we have about 8 acers of land, but very little capital to invest, we want a bank loan to start the farm and more informaton regarding Documents required for loan, shed, fodder, best variety of goats, vaccination for goats, etc.

Before starting the farm we want to visit one or two farms, If you could allow us to visit your farm, it will be of great help for us.

Thanks & Regards.

Last edited by a moderator:

smy82482

Goat farm

Dear munawar,
In 8 acres of land u can keep 100 female and 5 male goats.
Documents requires includes the farm land documents,nationality,voter id,no dues certificates etc.Check my previous posts for all detail documents.
Bank keeps your land for secuirty purpose.
Goats does not requires a specific shed.A shed with elevations on side will also works with proper food and water management.
Vaccination is via seasan wise.The important ones are P.P.R,enterotaxemia,T.T,H.S.R,FMD,Tetanus.
For goat fodder details visit our website www.goatfarm.20m.com
No doubt that the best variety of goats are the osmanabadi goats.They can accomodate in any climatic conditions.Has high kidding rate and milk yielding capacity.It has excellent quality of meat,its meat is highly preferrable as compare to other male goats.
Ya u can visit our farms after rainy season.

Regards,
dr.Shaikh

ujualkumart

Goat Count

Hi Sir ,

Thank you for encouraging new commers .

I have heard from one of the consultant that we can have 100 Goats in 3 acres ( He also states that we grow the feed also in in same 3 acres ) , but you state in 8 acres we can have only 100 goats.

Can you please explain this a bit ?.

Thanks
Ujual

smy82482

land for goat farm

Dear ujulalkumart,
When we (you) says 100 goats,then we think fodder for only 100 goats but thats not true.When we say 100 goats we have to think of 500 goats in OSMANABADI goat breed,this is how let me explain you.
When u buy 100 goats,after pregnancy the count goes to 300(100+200) each goat gives 2 kids.Again after 6 months the buyed 100 goats gives at least 200kids.Within 1 year u will have 400 kids and 100goats.
In case of 100 JAMNAPARI or 100 SIROHI goats u have to think of 300 goats,they gives single kid during each pregnancy.
Now each goat requires daily 3kg of green fodder and half kg of dry fodder.We are cultivating green and dry fodder on our farm,to reduce fodder cost.
Now calculate the requirement of 500 osmanabadi goats green fodder per year(365 days) or 300 sirohi/jamanapari goats.
The highest fodder yielding crop is napier(CO4),It yields 300-400 ton/hectare/yr in ideal climatic conditions(should have enough water througout year,ph of soil should be maintain,disease should be control from damaging grass etc).I hectare equals to 2.5 acre(2.47).
So in 3 acres of land u will never feed 100 goats even with napier.
Thats why i say 5-8 acres of land for 100 goats.5 acres with napier fodder and 8 acres with lucerne fodder.

Regards
dr.shaikh
www.goatfarm.20m.com

munawar

Thanks for your reply.

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your reply and information, as you said I will visit your farm after rainy season.

Going through your Thread gives a lot of information regarding goat farms.

Thank you once again.

Munawar.

captsvr

Dear sir, can you tell me the fundamental difference between stall fed goat ans stall fed sheep farm. And why .

smy82482

goat farm help

Thanks munawar and ujualkumart.You are always welcome and surely i will solve your all queries regarding goat farm and also will assist you in the same.
Regards
dr.Shaikh

smy82482

Difference between Goat farm and sheep farm

Dear sir, can you tell me the fundamental difference between stall fed goat ans stall fed sheep farm. And why .
Dear captsvr,

The main difference between them is their fodders and vaccinations.Only similarity between them is that Both requires same shed space.
The other differences between goat and sheep farm are:-
Goat farm is 10 times more profitable than sheep farm.
Sheep gives birth to 1 kid in a year whereas goat 4kids in a year.
Maturity period of sheep is of 390 days whereas goat matures in 300 days.
Goats are highly resistants to diseases as compare to sheep.
Goat meat has very high demand as compare to sheep meat.
Marketing of goats is very easy as compare to sheeps.
Goats requires less fodder as compare to sheeps.

The only plus point with sheeps is that,they produces wool 2-3 times in a year.But just considering the wool profit u cant go with sheeps,just think of above points regarding goats.
In the end the profit obtain by selling goats is much higher than that obtain by selling wool and sheeps.

With regards,
dr.Shaikh
www.goatfarm.20m.com

sure192

Need ur Advice.

Respected Mr.Shaikh,

Before asking my doubt about selection of goat, I would like to appreciate your time and effort to educate and encourage the people to having plans to start the goat farm.

Sir, I am from Tamilnadu and I woud like to start goat farm in my 10 acres of land.these are my doubts and I need your valuable advice.

1) in terms of profiblity on investments, which goat breed is economical, is it Osmanabadi goats or Thallachery & Boer cross breed goats ?

2) per day how much weight the goats will gain ? which breed gain more weight in long run.

I am looking forward to get your advice. Thankyou

regards
Suresh.

smy82482

osmanabadi,boer,thallachery goats

Dear suresh,
In terms of profitability,no doubt osmanabadi breed is best.It gives u more profit in shorter time.
It has higher reproductive and milking capacity as compare to thallachery goats.Osmanabadi goats gives birth to 4-6 kids in 1year whereas thallachery 2-3 kids in 1 year and boer 3-4 kids.
The taste of osmanabadi goats meat is higher than that of thallachery and boer.
In case of disease resistance power,the osmanabadi breed is far better than other two breeds.
The cost of boer goats and their maintenance(fodder,vaccinations,etc) is very high as compare to osmanabadi and thallachery breed.
For marketing of bucks any goat farmer mainly depends on their local goat market.If u want to sold boer in local market u have to sold it on the rate that depends on its weight.And selling boer goats at per kg rate that is equal to thallachery or osmanabadi will be never profitable to you.U will surely face sievere loses when u want to sale boer goats in your local market,which is absolutely not in case of osmanabadi and thallachery breed.A boer buck of 50-60kg cost u 20,000rs and you expect the same rate that u will receive by selling your boer bucks from local market.But here is truth,in goat market no one will buy a buck for 20,000rs coz they calculate buck in terms of meat cost(300-350rs/kg).When u slaughter a boer buck it should produce a meat of 21000rs then it will be readily sold to 20,000rs.
A 60kg of boer will give u 40kg of pure meat.So calcute the 40kg of meat cost at the rate of 300rs or 350 rs ,it never reaches to 21000.So no butchler will buy your boer at 20,000rs.The expected cost for a butchler to buy your boer goat is around 10-12,000rs,which is not economically profitable to you,coz u expense more than that on fodder and vaccinations of boer goats.This is not seen in marketing of osmanabadi and thallachery goats.

No doubt that boer will gain more weight in shorter time,but its of no use coz the meat quality of boer is same as that of broiler chicken,its very soft.We indians generally prefers tender meat like that of osmanabadi and thallachery.

So its my advice,that u must go with pure osmanabadi breeding goats that will surely provide u huge profit which u have never expected.
Regards,
dr.Shaikh
www.goatfarm.20m.com

bnkmys

Hello,

we are planning to start a goat farm in karnataka .Initially we are planning to start with 15 goats and over next 3 years we are expecting it to increase to 500.
We have the following questions, request you to share your thoughts.

1.) total shed area for 500 goats

a.) type of shed

b.) type of flooring in the shed

c.) what is the cleaning routine ( i . e how often it should be cleaned )

d.) with what we should clean the shed ( i.e chemicals used)

e.) how many workers required to take care of the farm

f.) shed planning to house goats

g.) construction expenditure of shed on an average

h.) how much paddock is required by 500 goats

i.) fencing for paddock and its cost

2.) silage

a.) how much silage is required by one goat in a day

b.) how much land i should have to produce silage for 500 goats for 1 year

c.) what are the silage crops ? how long these crops take to come to cutting stage

d.) duration for it to become silgae after putting it in the silos

e.) after silage is fermented should i leave it in the silo or should i store them
some where else if so how should i store them .

3.) feed timings n type of feed given in particular time -

4.) how long they should be in paddock n inside the shed

Thanks in Advance,

Regards,
Banashankari

smy82482

goat farm details

Dear Banashankari,
1.For stall feed system Total shed area for 500 goats is 2000000 sq ft.For 100 goats and their kids 4000sq ft is enough.Shed must be at a height of 3-4 sq ft from ground level.
For open grazing(500goats) 10,000 sq ft is enough.
a.Half of shed with metal roofs and half open with fencing on all sides.It should have atleast 4 compartments 1 for pregnant goats,1 for kids,1 for bucks,1 for mature does.
b.Floor should be of rough concerte cement or rough tiles pointing drainage at one end.
c.intially it should be cleaned daily as goats are new in the shed.Then afterwards once in a week.
d.It can be cleaned with any germicidal phenyl.Afterwards it should be dried properly with an drier.
e.One worker is enough for 100 goats.
f.For grazing method,For housing goats it doesnt requires any specific shed.Just a single shed with 1-2 compartments is enough.
g.Construction exp varies from place to place,also it depends on type of material that u use. For 4000 sq ft the minimum cost is 70-80k.
h.25-30 acre for paddock
i.Metal wire fencing.10-80rs/sq ft.

Regarding shed,goats doesnt requires a specific shed like that of poultry or diary shed.Just look your nearby v shepherds or goat farmers how they keep their goats, in open place all the time and even at night.In rainy season they places their goats in a small shed where there is crowding of goats.
2.a.3 kg of green fodder and half kg of dry fodder per day per goat.
b)25-30 acre of land
c)napier,lucerne,maize,pulses,soya are silage crops
it takes 2-3 months for their full growth
d)8 days
e)store it in sacks at a dry place
3)feeding timing at 8 am and 4 pm.Before 1hr of feeding allow goats to drink water so that the fodder gets easily digested
4)at least 6 hours in paddock for open grazing,and 1 hr for stall feed.

Regards,
dr.Shaikh
www.goatfarm.20m.com