Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Question Gerbera polyhouse farming

Register

Click Here!

maitys

I want to start gerbera farming at my farmhouse sonarpur gangajowara polyhouse farming. PLEASE tell me details
The wedding season happens to be peak time of cut flowers ( Gerbera, Rose, Gladiolus, Carnation, Orchids, Aster , Chrysanthemum etc. ) Business in India .
In peak season you may get Rs 5-Rs 10 ( includes packing ,C&F charges ) per Gerbera stick rate and in non-ceremonial seasons rates will drop per piece to Rs 2-Rs 3 per stick in major cut flower trading hubs in India i.e. Mumbai , Bangalore , Hyderabad , Kolkata , Delhi , Ahmadabad, Madurai , Lucknow etc.
West Bengal based floriculture farmers prefers to cultivate Gerbera in open land keeping the peak season demand in mind .
As per Flower Council of India ,floriculture is a Rs. 20,000 crore business in India, per annum .
Due to pandemic floriculture market took a reverse turn …wait and watch then proceed.
The United Nations has warned that the world could see a hunger pandemic by the end of 2020.
So it’s makes more sense and practical to grow vegetables instead .
If you have strong investment and marketing back up then you can go for high end fruit cultivation viz. Blue berry , Strawberry , Fig etc. in playhouse as well .

garao56

Marketing will be problem in this karona pandemic time. Please take up vegetable initially and later Gerbara cultivation can be taken up in the same polyhouse after harvesting vegetables like capsicum,musk melon, braccoli etc

Last edited by a moderator:

kaushlendrakm

First of all thanks for the post. As I read that due to pandemic floriculture market took a reverse turn...... Wait and watch , cause of I am a gladiolus grower.

garao56

Due to corona pandemic there is lesser demand for flowers in the market , please postpone gerbera cultivation for some more time. Please inform whether you are owing poly house or open field cultivation .

chemorgs

I am into pharamaceutical business and now wish to enter either Floriculture or Coffee plantation. I am evaluating Hi Tech floriculture business . Could you kindly throw some light please

garao56

Coffee is open field crop can be taken up for cultivation in large area. Gerbara can be cultivated in polyhouses .4 polyhouses of 1000 sq mts each can be constructed. Please take up both crops