Experts/practitioners opinion on crop monitoring solution

Register

skosh

Lady and gentlemen!

Need Your advice concerning potential vendor of field vegetation monitoring system for CIS. Currently me and my team consult a farm business owner who has 7,500 ha of black earth in Ukraine. In our view such a system will help him to optimize fuel, oil, fertilizers and working time expenditure as well as to stay informed 24/7. We've already seen such solution on some farms in Netherlands and Germany, but unfortunately lost those people contacts.

Yesterday I received an offer from satellite field management system called Cropio (USA/Germany origin). At first glance looks attractive. What I like about it is its price which implies a possibility of discount, huge historical database, simple efficient interface and integration with different types of computers, incl. smartphones.

Tomorrow I'll see a presentation and ask questions to CIS representatives team. If I don't find any mismatches as compared to advertising booklet - I can point it out as potential vendor to be contracted. What is currently not clear for me is (1) regularity of updates (2) precision of weather forecast (3) potential compatibility with machinery and accounting systems.

Have you heard about this or other systems? I have about two weeks to make a final decision to present it to the land owner.:confused:

Buy the book "Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Interviews"

skosh

Hi there!

Well, it was positively impressive. Still I'd like some one to add any critics or offer me an analogous system at better price or with much wider functions list. it would be great to be supported by someone's experience.

But let's go back to the questions I had before the presentation:

(1) The system really provides non-stop updates and even automatically sends warning messages.

(2) Now I'm running a test account. The forecasts from the system correspond to actual weather data. It is snow now in Ukraine, but Cropio manages this hardships.

(3) Machinery computers enjoys compatibility with the system, currently Cropio engineers elaborate 1C compatibility for my needs.

Maybe someone else tried eLeaf or something like it?

henri_b

Hello!

Firstly, I have to say that satellite technologies are our future, and it is very pleasant that there are possibilities to apply the in agriculture.
Secondly, I have to say, that heard a lot about the Cropio, but I haven't try it by myself. I know that it is very up-to-date ( satellite control) and easy in use. Moreover you can get trial version of it for free (that's what I am going to do). It is written in brochure that it can design fertilizer distribution maps for selected fields - If it really does it, we will be able to save our time and money. But has anybody used alternative programs (e.g. eleaf)? what are the differences, pros and cons of these technologies.

skosh

Well, I am glad to see at list someone who also cares this topic. Talking about my experience there are some things i have to add: 1) The program is ideal for planning (weather forecast, time reminders, calculation of the optimal dose of fertilizer) 2) Office workers of this company are very friendly, ready to help and always inform me about new possibilities of the product. 3) considering the possibilities of program - it is rather cheap. My conclusion: I am satisfied with the program and its services.

P.S.Frankly speaking, as I haven't possibility to try alternative programs I can't be the most competent adviser