Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

emu,rabbit or goat

Register

Click Here!

biofarming

EMU,Rabbit or Goat rearing, which one best option?In emu or rabbit , its meat is still not popular.But lot of farmer are engaged in EMU rearing in Andhra and getting success in it,Rabbit farming is also done successfully by some farmer in Tamilnadu,Goat rearing is older profession and done all over India

raman119

Dear sirs
you hv said correctly in ur blog that emu and rabbit farming is done successfully in our country, goat is old business but now a days it is improved and all d problems r rectified , hence it is farmers choice to what he sd start. emu farming is very expansive as compare to rabbit farming

ashokd23

emu farming is profitable

In Rabbit farming risk is involved. But in emu farming there is less amount of risk and more profit and had more advantages than rabbit farming.

For more details please contact Aditya Emu Farm

swati_r

Rabbit farm goat or Emu farm

Rabbit can be started with small amount, EMU need big investment ,risk may be there in both since now a days rabbit or emu meat is still unpopular ,everybody like goat meat or chicken,
Choice is difficult to made or else start on small scale and see the result

SWATI RANA

antony_pratap

Starting anything in small scale will not yeild much and its not commercial advisable, that is the reason i have seen personally so many farms closed down.

Starting small is to just get a feel and experience in knowing the animal characteristic and mangement.

Thanks,
Antony

skrai

Rabbit farm

Dear Antony,

Is it advisable to do rabbit farming with about 10 units, It seems risk is there as unit cost is Rs 15000-22000

regards

S.K.RAI

swati_r

Rabbit farm

I would like to add benefit of rabbit meat and rabbit farming---

• Rabbit meat has been recommended for special diets such as for heart disease patients, diets for the elderly whose metabolism has slowed and digestion is compromised due to illness or life stage, low sodium diets, and weight reduction diets. Because it is easily digested, it has been recommended by doctors for patients who have trouble eating other meats.
• As the world’s human population grows there will be less land to raise food. The rabbit will play a more increasing role in this supply. It is a sustainable, wholesome food that does not tax the land they are raised on.
• Rabbits are raised up off the ground and are one of the cleanest animals produced as meat. Due to being raised off the ground, rabbits do not even need to be wormed, thus an addition medication scratched from the “necessary” list!
• Rabbits do not need medications to stay healthy! Many large rabbitries administer a prophylactic dose of antibiotics, as noted in several how to books on rabbit raising. I have raised the current herd I have for 4 years without any antibiotics at all! If one of the rabbits falls ill, necessitating antibiotics, they are culled before the illness becomes a problem. It is a harsh method, but a sane one from an exposure to illness and medication standpoint.
• Rabbits are among the most productive of domestic livestock. Making them efficient sources of food for an ever increasing population with diminishing resources.
*Rabbits will produce 6 pounds of meat on the same feed and water as a cow will produce 1 pound of meat on the same feed and water.

regards

Swati Rana

antony_pratap

Totally agreed, Rabbit, poulty and PIG are the ones that convert more meat from the feed intake ratio in comparison of other livestock.

The Issue about rabbit farming of what i have heard from many is marketing problem, finding a regular market is a huge challenge, hence starting rabbit farming on a commercial purpose to make it a bread earning factor for many farmers is still a challenge and they end up closing the same and moving on something else, or they just do it as part time.

Thanks,
Antony

Rabbit farming

Hi Swati,

I verymuch agree to your point, i Have a Rabbit farm in Bangalore, we have about 300 breeds i.e 30 units. please contact

Email:

I would like to add benefit of rabbit meat and rabbit farming---

• Rabbit meat has been recommended for special diets such as for heart disease patients, diets for the elderly whose metabolism has slowed and digestion is compromised due to illness or life stage, low sodium diets, and weight reduction diets. Because it is easily digested, it has been recommended by doctors for patients who have trouble eating other meats.
• As the world’s human population grows there will be less land to raise food. The rabbit will play a more increasing role in this supply. It is a sustainable, wholesome food that does not tax the land they are raised on.
• Rabbits are raised up off the ground and are one of the cleanest animals produced as meat. Due to being raised off the ground, rabbits do not even need to be wormed, thus an addition medication scratched from the “necessary” list!
• Rabbits do not need medications to stay healthy! Many large rabbitries administer a prophylactic dose of antibiotics, as noted in several how to books on rabbit raising. I have raised the current herd I have for 4 years without any antibiotics at all! If one of the rabbits falls ill, necessitating antibiotics, they are culled before the illness becomes a problem. It is a harsh method, but a sane one from an exposure to illness and medication standpoint.
• Rabbits are among the most productive of domestic livestock. Making them efficient sources of food for an ever increasing population with diminishing resources.
*Rabbits will produce 6 pounds of meat on the same feed and water as a cow will produce 1 pound of meat on the same feed and water.

regards

Swati Rana

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi For your information

Backyard Rabbit Farming project of the University of Agricultural Sciences (UAS) Veterinary College, Bangalore, has caught on some districts in Karnataka. The developed world recommends rabbit meat for its low fat content and easy to cook features.

In the wake of its diet benefits, the Union government through the department of Biotechnology has launched the two-year rural backyard rabbit farming project in UAS Veterinary College, Bangalore, for the first-time in the country with a funding of Rs 17 lakh.

The scheme is particularly targeted at those below the poverty line and the beneficiaries are mainly women who are identified through the Sree Shaktis. Under the Backyard Rabbit Farming project, UAS provides four rabbits and train the people in their management including its health related problems. The training which is imparted at the doorstep of the beneficiaries covers rabbit dressing for broiler rabbits and use of its skin for commercial purposes, Dr Y B Rajeshwari, principal investigator, small animals, UAS Veterinary College told Food & Beverage News.

According to UAS, rearing larger animals like cattle, sheep and pigs is tough primarily because graze lands are shrinking. The smallest recommended rabbit farm housing 10 females and two males requires an investment of Rs 72, 000.

Rabbits are micro livestock. Being small in size it is both economical and easy to rear in limited space.

A crucial affordable factor is its feed which consists of grass, plant roots and kitchen waste.

The rabbit meat is in demand because of its high nutritious content, low fat and being non-fibrous, making it easy to cook. The Karnataka government also has a rabbit farm at Hessarghatta maintaining its parent stock. In the last one decade, broiler rabbits have almost doubled. The annual growth of the broiler rabbit in Karnataka is around 40%. UAS officials opine that a lot more needs to be done to popularise rabbit rearing because many are not aware of the advantages of this business.
Regards,
Vijay
Email:

Last edited by a moderator:

sunyleo9

Hi For your information

Backyard Rabbit Farming project of the University of Agricultural Sciences (UAS) Veterinary College, Bangalore, has caught on some districts in Karnataka. The developed world recommends rabbit meat for its low fat content and easy to cook features.

In the wake of its diet benefits, the Union government through the department of Biotechnology has launched the two-year rural backyard rabbit farming project in UAS Veterinary College, Bangalore, for the first-time in the country with a funding of Rs 17 lakh.

The scheme is particularly targeted at those below the poverty line and the beneficiaries are mainly women who are identified through the Sree Shaktis. Under the Backyard Rabbit Farming project, UAS provides four rabbits and train the people in their management including its health related problems. The training which is imparted at the doorstep of the beneficiaries covers rabbit dressing for broiler rabbits and use of its skin for commercial purposes, Dr Y B Rajeshwari, principal investigator, small animals, UAS Veterinary College told Food & Beverage News.

According to UAS, rearing larger animals like cattle, sheep and pigs is tough primarily because graze lands are shrinking. The smallest recommended rabbit farm housing 10 females and two males requires an investment of Rs 72, 000.

Rabbits are micro livestock. Being small in size it is both economical and easy to rear in limited space.

A crucial affordable factor is its feed which consists of grass, plant roots and kitchen waste.

The rabbit meat is in demand because of its high nutritious content, low fat and being non-fibrous, making it easy to cook. The Karnataka government also has a rabbit farm at Hessarghatta maintaining its parent stock. In the last one decade, broiler rabbits have almost doubled. The annual growth of the broiler rabbit in Karnataka is around 40%. UAS officials opine that a lot more needs to be done to popularise rabbit rearing because many are not aware of the advantages of this business.
Regards,
Vijay
Email:
Dear Friends ,
Even I am interested in starting with low cost rabbit farming in Delhi but have doubts on further marketing of rabbit flesh sale.
Any idea who can help in marketing if I set up my farm with 10 units first.

Warm regards,
Sanjeev Sunny