Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Ecenomics of agri and early retirement from corporate career

Register

Click Here!

rmathews

firm of decisions....

dear , you have well said, we have to do one thing at a time and do the actions instead of over the bear discussions. see the target is clear is early retirement and do the rural farming, only being habituated to see things more clearly till the target due to the corporate experience, we end up in serious discussions, threads to get our focus and vision more clear. its applied in our farming goal too. I thinks that is good too. at this point of time agri can be profitable venture only when treat as it is a profession. second things to be keep moving on our acts and get realized what we targeted. so happy farming every one. we have wonder full threads in blog techie2agrie what we have to take care in land selections...etc and there are loads of threads on various farming technics too. one things is sure, agri is and will remain most important and sought after part of life...

rgds
mathew

sgb52

Agri as a business only

Dear Mathews - the moderator

You have really started a good conversation. The key to success is to take agri as a serious business. Like any other business you need to use your brains for success.

alwarn

I am already on the way....

Dear Mathew, thanks for starting this discussion. I am replying now, because i chanced upon this thread now. Surprisingly I find it more suitable for me. The replies are also like minded.

I am already planning for organic, multispecies farm near my native place in South tamilnadu near Tirunelveli where agricultural activity is very less due to dry land. It is 3 years hence i started purchasing the small holdings and integrating into a big piece. After assembling over 30 small pieces, i have made around 15 acres divided into 3 big parts adjascent but not connected to each other. My one full year went in only registrations. Next year went waste time waiting for Patta change, which is still going on... But now it has come to a good shape and I am already on the way preparing the soil, fence and planning for next steps....There is money outflow now, but it gives job to few people (not profits for middlemen and builders).

I am an IT guy, now 25 years of service working in Hyderabad. Born in ooty, graduated from a rural background took my first job in 1987. Since then my salary, comfort etc have increased many fold. But with each passing day, there exists an insecure feeling, a vaccum in mind, that we are not giving back to society, that we are just pawns in the hands of consumer companies, builders, MNCs and political setup, that we are not actually what we are supposed to be etc pass the mind. We see pretention, presentation and perceiption management than appreciation for true hard work. We seek fake claims, careless mistakes costing lives, substandard chinese quality, adultration of drugs, poisioning of foods (pesticides), needless traffic, artificial price hikes, pressure from cosmetic companies, schools charging high fees, still collecting money every day quoting various reasons (parents are milking cows), etc. It is but natural that someone like us want to lead a simple, predictable life away atleast partially from the above. use owr own brain and sleep every day with a sense of satisfaction that we have done something positive to this generation, planet.

The farming initiative wheather it will mature success or not, it has already started giving me complete confidance, self respect and made me thing wide. First time I am able to understand my environment, good from bad, the condition of poor, dignity of rural folks. I am training myself dentify trees, plants, various animal species, inserts, microbes. i have read inspiring books ranging from Algore to Bhaskar Save. I always carry atleast one with me always for not wasting any time during waiting.

My family is still against this, but I know internally they are acknowledging what I am doing. Because this is a noble profession which will give me job for next 30 years or more. I will not retire but do a pre-mature transition when time is right. Presently my monthly income is required for farm development. So I am here and my friends are there helping me. I have daily discussions. I am planning to train more people, will apply my corporate training on man management, presentation skills, team motivation, innovation, travel, contacts, emailing and knowledge sharing like this.

I will start a website, post my products, sell door to door, establish network and see that a decent envoronment is created the farm for all those who went to city to come back and work like a business. I am also planning for dairy (Desi cows) and Goshala for the soul. There will also be schemes for re-planting orphan trees in my farm which get axed due to road widening. What a thought !. I am truly inspired even by the thoughts. Actions are following slowly. I keep a personal dairy and keep searching for information, products and contacts which suits me.

I will do water management, farm cooperative societies, create seed banks, eliminate micro nutritional deficiency in neighbourhood and employ more manual labour (Organic farm). There will be bullock cards and bulls in my farm. Tracktors will be minimal and tilling will be less.

Mr. Mathew and moderator and friends, thanks for giving this opportunity to pour my mind.

rmathews

great

dear

great, your feed backs on exact time. have just finished land purchase nr to your area. that much time taken for patta change?? I have done title search and report before enter in to agreement. expect that while deed papta transfer will not take that much time.

rgds
mathew

alwarn

I have two guys working for me. One of the guy who does liasining for patta is very slow. Moreover VCO and thasildhars were changing. Now things are falling in place slowly. Since i purchased from small land owners, they did not have all the papers properly.

agrilove

good to see like minded people

Hello all,

I just stumble upon this place from some other forum and since I also share same interests as you people, I registered here to post my views.

Actually, I am also in the same boat (to retire early and start farming) but I want to start investing in agri land right away. Since I belong to Agra (UP) which is now well connected to Delhi/NCR via Yamuna Expressway, I am interested to buy some agri land with like minded guys to use it further for farming. You guys can have an idea what I am talking about here :

So, I would be interested to discuss further if there are some people in the same (Delhi/NCR) region who want to buy agri land for self use (farming)

Last edited by a moderator:

agri1972

It depends on mind

This is my view about the corporate super work horses.
Basically corporate world is suitable for youngsters, can capable of withstanding stress. Additionally they work hard with enthusiasm until they learn gain novel information or knowledge related to work.
But once they are able to understand everything they start to calculate how much company or immediate superior benefitted by his work than the benefits enjoyed by him. In the same time he cross above 35 and can not with stand the street and pressure as he was in 20's.
Those who crossed the middle level management position and reached top position before 35 are continuing the jobs while the persons unable to reach high position ultimately plan to quit the job. If he try to work with the pressure he will have all side effects like blood pressure, sugar and work associated health disorders.

Hence only those who need diversion only enters to look over agriculture. In agriculture also the person with good initial investment to develop 24h water supplying bore wells, green house or allied agri business like bunch of goats will succeed and benefited. But more dedication is needed. The thing is he will feel he will be the reaper of all his hard work. This will keep him calm and have a better health.

If you have better savings you can establish air-conditioned farm house and mechanize most of the farm activities. You will be the creator, and you will gain all benefits with you. In papers we are seeing few farmers achieved great benefits in small land holdings. Notable a Bangalore farmer succeed >10 lakhs benefit from one acre with green house and allied activities.
In corporate will work at least 8h per day. After sufficient initial farm investment If anyone show the efforts similar to a corporate employee he will also get better profit.

But it is impossible for majority of us in farming or our own business. We will not consider our business as a corporate.

I recall an NRI software engineer email. His father was a govt teacher build a single bedroom house in Bangalore by bank loan and paid from his salary and live peace fully. But the son working as software engineer in us earn many lakhs/month spend a lot for kids education, tax, family maintenance in US. Finally when he return to India he was able to buy a two bedroom house in Bangalore. Just one bedroom is the difference between him and his father.

nkjohri

Techie2Aggie / Savera Farms

dear friends

thanks for sharing your views. basically I think, the problem or issues are with our mind and way of viewing the matter. We thinking too much and fearing too much on our dream rural settlement. let us think When we are in corporate we are become instrumentals for the companies growth and success and why that quality or ability not applied for our on inspired thoughts and entrepreneurship. We have classical examples of techie2agrie,. and mr kevin from banglore. techie2agrie even left a lucrative job from US and now doing successful and motivating farming in TN.

Who ever born in rural might have experienced that what was we got from our rural education system and in practically in real corporate life how we struggled to succeeded. when an ordinary person can success in a urban corporate life why can not we make fortunes in agri and rural farmings. we need think on that.

so basically I think our fear is nothing but sacrificing the comfort level we are enjoying now. yes there is a passion and dream about agri farming, but still fear is hanging thinking lot about what will happen .. if our plan not materialized...

so with the dream we starts our negative thoughts too. I think if we plan properly and realistic and we put our personal efforts we can succeeded. when a man succeed on what matter wife to nag !!!!!!!!!ha ha bcuse probeb is that behind of every successful man there is lady....

We all are will be grateful some of the real adventurists who has already taken this path and still in farming may pls share the experiences....

rds
mathew
Dear Mathews - We are happy to hear that some of our activities at Savera Farms (techie2aggie) have been motivating to you. Hopefully, we will see you start a blog like ours soon :)

On a related note, this thread got us thinking. Would there be any interest by urban dwellers interested in agri to try starting a collective farming operation?

Like minded individuals from the state or city can get together to buy a larger piece of land. The idea is to collectively pool our time, expertise and funds towards the common goal - develop a profitable farm. We think this could be a win-win situation for all since starting a profitable farming operation is not easy but a collective effort can make it much easier and faster. Feel free to connect with us if you feel inclined to discuss further.

Good luck!

rmathews

tks

Dear Johriji

thanks for such a fantastic idea. this is what we were expecting from such wonderful persons.

as you have experienced, I have also gone through the face of most difficult part, ie land purchase. this is most most tough and tare some work in farming. if collectively pool the source and buy large peace of land that's great. pls advise at what time would be convenient to discuss further

rgds
mathew

tigi

size of land for the sustenance revenue of 50K

First-I must thank Mathews for initiating this thread- Lots of views and information has come through the discussions- Getting back to nature and ones roots atleast towards the end of a hectic career is absolutely critical. Not because one wants to be inactive- but because one has to continue to be active- but in a different way- closer to nature.
One question that comes up for me is on the budget/revenue that Mr.Mathew put up. Assuming that 50K is required as a minimum income to live a reasonable life- how much land will be required to generate this income ? what crops can produce this income - assuming that this discussion pertains to land in the south of the country ?
Would be grateful if members give some inputs on this.

TIGI

alwarn

Dear Tigi, I have not started my plantations yet, but I am on the way. Want to do all the homework before starting the seeds because once started, it requires undue attention. Coming to your question, from what i have read and collected from various farmers is this. On pessimestic estimate you can get around 25K profit per acre per year. On optimistic and proven records, you can get 1.5 lacs per acre per year. I am assuming we should get atleast one lakh. Therefore if you want 50K per month, we need to have minumum 10 acres.
Recently I had been to my farm and had chat with neighbours. I found that they are not doing a good sincere job at all. Most of them wanted more profit for less farm inputs. How will that be possible. These are inherited lands from their fathers or government. Therefore they donot know the value of land. Secondly they go by path of least resistence i.e., lazy. For example they put the motor for more than 6 hours (as electricity is free) without mindful of how much resource they are wasting. They are not only loggin the fields with water, spending electricity, but also washing away nuterients, throttling air supply to the roots, etc. They are modern farms being exploited by companies. Coming to the point, I guess 10 acres with some good work would fetch 1 lakh per month for you.

nkjohri

Join hands..

How many of us would be interested in pooling funds together to start or invest in a joint farming operation? Details can be worked out but the goal is to get satisfaction, do good work, utilize our education and....get decent tax free income. A scientifically managed operation can be rather profitable. There are folks who are promoting farm based investments so I know such options are being explored.

drgandhi

Mathew
There is a difference in dreams and reality. Once you are in corporate world for say 15 years, means you have kids who have fully urban outlook. Firstly you need to look at their educational requirements, secondly do they share your dreams. More importantly does your wife share your dreams. Remember your dream implies hardship to them.

In my case i am born & brought up in cities. However I have inherited a house and land in my native village. I am a GM in an indian multinational. I have similar dream as you have.
Regards
Dear Member
Like you there are hundreds and thousands of IT guys who wish to retire at the mid age of 40-45 and go back to basics for a living in country side taking up agriculture as their livelihood avocation for a living.

At faminggroup.org we provide opportunities to invest in Organic agriculture project and take part in farming and other related activities.The details of which are in the following concept note. If members who do not have their own lands,can interact with me for more details.

BOT for Sustainable Agricultural Development

(A win-win proposition for our Indian Small / Medium Farmers and Investors)
Introduction:

All suburban agglomerations across India in its metro Cities/ Towns witness now an alarming trend of killing agriculture and leaving the fertile lands to remain as barren parched stretches vulnerable for all ecological /environmental degradations. Million hectares of such once fertile agriculture lands in fringe villages bordering the metropolitan agglomerates are fast becoming ecologically degraded waste lands. Major reason being our gullible farmers lie in waiting after clearing the lands of its vegetation so as to attract the real estate goons/ land mafias who offer them some paltry sums for their lands, are unknowingly led into a trap to lose their lands as well as livelihoods for ever. This is another major cause of farmers’ suicide in the suburban areas and areas just brimming bordering the city limits of phenomenally expanding megalopolis/ metropolis like Delhi/Mumbai/Chennai/Bangalore. These fringe villages bordering the city /urban limits were once the active agri / horticultural centres cultivating and meeting the demands of city population for their supply of the fresh vegetables on a daily basis. Thus the livelihood earnings of many farmers, especially small/ medium with less than 2-3 acres of land holdings, were on a sustainable basis hitherto. But today having lost their lands to these tycoons/mafias the farmers are in a wretched economic situation wherein either way the stand to lose with no sustainable income generation.

The Project :
BOT for Sustainable Agricultural Development, is aimed at providing a sustainable livelihood as well as an environmentally improved agricultural lands besides keeping alive the supply chain of fresh vegetables to cities dwellers.

One more major outcome of this project is the involvement of the vast numerous population of IT guys in these cities by way of becoming investors and thereby sharing the benefits – the top most of which being part of the nation building activity as well as getting healthy organically grown vegetables from the nearby outlets.

The IT sector employees would be encouraged to invest in units of lands identified and amalgamated for collective farming enterprise models that are replicated across the country. The units earn them the share of profits besides their enjoying a steady organic products are riding the constantly rising wave of consumer demand.

As consumers<especially high income bracket IT guys are willing to pay for food quality, animal welfare and environmental protection with a growing desire to know the progression of their food from ‘farm to fork’ many consumers are starting to develop a relationship with their organic farmers.

As a result many organic farmers can sell directly through ‘Box Schemes’* ,urban farmers’ market **, farm –gate shops*** or even tourist oriented programmes**** on week - ends at the farm –sites itself .
Already hundreds of acres just about 100 kms radius of Bangalore well within 1-1.30 hours drive from the outer ring road , have been identified and many farmers and their groups are ready to enter into this arrangement.

When these farmers still remain the owners of their own ancestral land and continue to work and earn their livelihood from out of their land, there is no reason for them to remain idle. The win -win supply chain assuring them a steady supply of farm fresh organic vegetables without the intervention of any middle men, direct from the farms is a blessing in disguise. The is another opportunity for them is to become volunteers who can take up week- end assignment of learning by doing organic farming practices after getting exposed to a short term hands on training. Added to this benefit they can also make on farm purchases at farm gates, go for week end outings with family to enjoy farm fresh air and ambience in a serene environment and do indulge in traditional rural cuisine made out of farm fresh veggies. They can as well participate in the ‘Box –scheme’ or farm markets as they like it to be.

How BUILD,OPERATE AND TRANSFER (BOT) works? :

With the registered organization in the name and style of BIOTECH BIOFARM (BBF) on the organizing side as mentor/facilitator of the project ,the owners of lands on the one side and the investors of funds (in terms of units) for the operation of project on the other side will be the joint venture partners (JVP) to enjoy the benefits whatsoever that accrue out of this project on a win-win situation as enumerated below.

What to build? :

Land holdings in adjacent cites in a contiguous location identified for the project would be taken on a lease basis for a period of 3-5 years in anyone phase of the project. The lease agreement would be drafted in vernacular and signed by either party to the lease agreement. The lessor organization would pay the lessee farmer the agreed lease amount on an annual basis till the lease holding is in operation in line with contract farming agreement.

All infrastructures required for farming, starting from land development , creating source of irrigation, drip irrigation network, farming tools, machinery ,vehicles & other equipments etc. would be created as a collective resources building effort from the investment funds and the farming activity is performed until the period of certification say 3-5 years from the starting of the project in the particular land.

How to operate?:

All investing IT guys would pay a fixed sum for one unit of investment and can invest in multiples of units. The benefits accrued in terms of profit per unit will be converted as the quantity in kgs of farm fresh organic vegetables (nominal pricing will be done depending on cost of production, preservation, storage, packaging & distribution) which will be supplied to him from the market outlets created nearer to his zone of residential locations. All local varieties of traditionally grown short term veg. crops such as beans, brinjal, bindi, bitter/bottle guards, pumpkins, chilies, tomatoes, etc will, be grown utilizing the skills and experience of local farmers and not making them feel uneasy by introduction of advanced/ sophisticated hybrid varieties sold in seed market. Efforts will be taken on a sustainable basis to collect preserve and propagate our traditional varieties only as a policy objective. All management expenditures, infrastructure building expenditure and other farm inventories are accounted meticulously from day one of the project in each phase and the farmers/investors are free to check them anytime as a transparent book of account.

How to transfer back to farmers?

Once the cycle of whole operations relating to routine production of organic short term crops(such as fresh farm grown native vegetables- all native varieties of beans, pumpkins, brinjal, tomatoes etc) is over, say after an incubation period ranging from 3-5 years time, the process of transferring the land holdings back to individual owners will take place. This is to keep up the policy objective of BBF that at no instance a single bit of a land owned by any farmer will be grabbed or any slightest bit of impression be created to that effect in the minds of farmers.

If in case anyone, on his sane mind, will and pleasure not ready to get back his/her land ownership, cancelling lease agreement it can be taken back by the organization on a pre determined sale-price as prevailed in the beginning of the project phase/ cycle and the land be taken for the continuing R& D project phase. However the farmer can continue to get employed as a ‘farm-hand’ as usual. If the farmer lessor not willing to get his land transferred back but would continue the lease agreement, he/she is always at his/her free will to do so.
See Annexure for *,
***, ****

drgandhi

inspiring Experience to be emulated

Dear All

Mr.MN UPADHYAYA's experience as a post retirement agriculturist in a small land holding of 3 acres is worth emulating. I would be happy if he follows organic agriculture rather than the present chemically poisoning agriculture.By doing so, he really serves the community towards its food security.
May all members see my other posting in this same forum for more details.
wish
dr g gandhi Technical Director,

Last edited by a moderator:

rmathews

mr gandhi please open a new thread for your subject matter.

dear gandhi,

Too long and could not understand and digest. for more details like to log to your web but still it is unacceptable.

Request please open a new thread for your subject matter.

rgds
mathew

tigi

Dear Tigi, I have not started my plantations yet, but I am on the way. Want to do all the homework before starting the seeds because once started, it requires undue attention. Coming to your question, from what i have read and collected from various farmers is this. On pessimestic estimate you can get around 25K profit per acre per year. On optimistic and proven records, you can get 1.5 lacs per acre per year. I am assuming we should get atleast one lakh. Therefore if you want 50K per month, we need to have minumum 10 acres.
Recently I had been to my farm and had chat with neighbours. I found that they are not doing a good sincere job at all. Most of them wanted more profit for less farm inputs. How will that be possible. These are inherited lands from their fathers or government. Therefore they donot know the value of land. Secondly they go by path of least resistence i.e., lazy. For example they put the motor for more than 6 hours (as electricity is free) without mindful of how much resource they are wasting. They are not only loggin the fields with water, spending electricity, but also washing away nuterients, throttling air supply to the roots, etc. They are modern farms being exploited by companies. Coming to the point, I guess 10 acres with some good work would fetch 1 lakh per month for you.
Dear Alwarn
Thank you for the inputs- it will be interesting to follow your progress as you go ahead with your farming- I am in the conceptual stage only - much behind you- but am following many inputs on the net and learning from all the accumulated knowledge.
One thing you mentioned- I agree fully- there is room for plenty of improvement- a lot of problems for our farmers arise from their lack of knowledge of good farming practice. There is also the fact that they lack capital and are into marginal farming- just sustaining, with very little excess income.

regards
TIGI

tigi

How many of us would be interested in pooling funds together to start or invest in a joint farming operation? Details can be worked out but the goal is to get satisfaction, do good work, utilize our education and....get decent tax free income. A scientifically managed operation can be rather profitable. There are folks who are promoting farm based investments so I know such options are being explored.
Dear Jhoriji
Very good idea- to pool up and make a joint effort.
Where are you located and what is your plan- would like to join in once details are known- Do you have a site or blog etc ?
Regards
TIGI