Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

EB connection

Register

Click Here!

tvlramesh

I am planning to buy 5 acres of land in Tuticorin District where I intend to grow Coconut, Mango etc. for which I am planning to dig a bore well & small farm house. I want to know whether I am eligible for free EB connection for bore-well. If yes, whom I should approach and whether I have to get a separate EB connection for farm house?

archidambaram

You need to apply at divisional engineer's office, EB in your district where land is located.

Coconut trees can be watered using free electricity; not mango.

Free connections are difficult to get; may take 5-10 years. Another paid scheme is available. You need to pay for initial installtion cost of poles, wires etc. Electricity is free.

Farm house needs a separate EB connection - not free.

rmathews

You need to apply at divisional engineer's office, EB in your district where land is located.

Coconut trees can be watered using free electricity; not mango.

Free connections are difficult to get; may take 5-10 years. Another paid scheme is available. You need to pay for initial installtion cost of poles, wires etc. Electricity is free.

Farm house needs a separate EB connection - not free.

Dear Sir,

Am also shortlisting land Nr Tenkasi where EB is not available. Can you pls advise about paid scheme. If we pay initial installtion cost of poles and wire,...etc where electricity is free for farming how much time taken for such process.

Is there any condition for free electricity where only selected crops can be cultivated?

can you pls guide on this pls

rgds
mathew

archidambaram

Dear Mathews,

You pay Rs.500 while applying for EB connection under this scheme. It is called Rs.50,000 scheme. You need to get a letter from VAO that the proposed location belongs to you. After paying application fee of Rs.500 and a sketch of your proposed location, EB will conduct a survey to estimate the cost. If your proposed site is within one pole (Distance between poles is 175 feet, if my memory s correct) you pay 50,000. If it involves more than one pole or strengthening the wirnes or transformer, the extra cost will be borne you. Then you pay whatever is the estimated cost. When the connection is sanctioned, you must have the bore well ready and you need to show the original bill for pump.

Every year government releases a certain number of connections under different schemes to diferent districts. For example, river fed districts will have less number of connections released. In districts where dry lands are more, govt. releases more number of connections. There is no fixed rule for no. of connections.

Under 50,000 scheme, you don't pay for actual electricity consumption. You can supply water only for PADDY, COCONUT, BANANA & SUGAR CANE. You must not use the water for any other purpose, like farm house, feeding poultry etc. This will attract heavy fine. Many farmers have faced problems in Namakkal district where they have poultry farm in the midst of coconut farm.

What I have stated above is the rules which I learnt while getting a bore well connection for myself in Thanjavur district. I got the connection in less than six months. There are some farmers whom I know in Pudukottai district, who applied around the same time, and got it after 18 - 24 months. It all depends on many pending applications in your district and the number of connections govt. releases.

Now, present scenario is, though I have a free bore well connection, no reliable electric supply. So I keeping idle during summer.

rmathews

Thanks you very much archidambaram for such detailed guidelines. The land deals come accross are with free eb connection with high price and plain land w/o any bore or connection at cheaper price. I was calculating whether taking plain land apply for eb at my side workable or not,

Hope we can take 1 free eb in Rs 50000 scheme and another 1 for farm and other live stock activities. what is the unit price of electricity in TN and what is normal availibility of free electricity and paid electricity supply per day

rgds
mathew

Dear Mathews,

You pay Rs.500 while applying for EB connection under this scheme. It is called Rs.50,000 scheme. You need to get a letter from VAO that the proposed location belongs to you. After paying application fee of Rs.500 and a sketch of your proposed location, EB will conduct a survey to estimate the cost. If your proposed site is within one pole (Distance between poles is 175 feet, if my memory s correct) you pay 50,000. If it involves more than one pole or strengthening the wirnes or transformer, the extra cost will be borne you. Then you pay whatever is the estimated cost. When the connection is sanctioned, you must have the bore well ready and you need to show the original bill for pump.

Every year government releases a certain number of connections under different schemes to diferent districts. For example, river fed districts will have less number of connections released. In districts where dry lands are more, govt. releases more number of connections. There is no fixed rule for no. of connections.

Under 50,000 scheme, you don't pay for actual electricity consumption. You can supply water only for PADDY, COCONUT, BANANA & SUGAR CANE. You must not use the water for any other purpose, like farm house, feeding poultry etc. This will attract heavy fine. Many farmers have faced problems in Namakkal district where they have poultry farm in the midst of coconut farm.

What I have stated above is the rules which I learnt while getting a bore well connection for myself in Thanjavur district. I got the connection in less than six months. There are some farmers whom I know in Pudukottai district, who applied around the same time, and got it after 18 - 24 months. It all depends on many pending applications in your district and the number of connections govt. releases.

Now, present scenario is, though I have a free bore well connection, no reliable electric supply. So I keeping idle during summer.

archidambaram

Single phase electricity is shut down for 4 -6 hours officially. Three phase supply is unpredictable.

TN follows a slab rate system as in Kerala. Small consumers are charged less per unit. At high consumption, the rate is Rs.5.50er unit, but I am not sure.

There was an agricultural connection scheme (payment at lesser rate) available several years ago. Charge was 50 paise per unit. I am not sure if this scheme is available now. If you find, let me know.

Regards.

rmathews

thank you very much. So I think once Koodankulam power project completely stated power problem in TN may reduce. Till then get two connections of 1 motor with single phase and another motor with three phase capacity. to make continues irrigation in the field. once I gets more information. will share with y

rmathews

still in search of land

Sir,

still in search for a suitable land in south TN area. several land seen one or another problem. most of the problem now in land or near land existance of wind mills. we do not know exactly how wind mill may adversly effect the cropping pattern as well as humidity in the air and water levels...

still search is on. tenkasi, vadakarai, kadayanellor, amba, regions

rgds
mathew

Hi,

Your issue is almost the case with anyone who wishes to opt a new EB connection for agri purpose. It takes time and pay for connect scheme might be costlier under current circumstances. Mostly 1phase lines have scheduled power cuts and 3phase supply cannot be predicted and depending on the load on your transformer the voltage levels can be highly erratic.

We have tailor made solar powered water pumping solutions for 1phase and 3phase pumps. Do give us an opportunity to present our solutions to you, just to see if our offer works out for you.

Regards,

Saravana Kumar
CEO
Greencurrent Solar Energy Systems