Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Dairy Farm- Something that is missing

Register

Click Here!

steve_geo1812

Dear All,
This message is posted with all due respect to the members and vistors to this site.
I have noticed over the last 2-3 months that there are lots of people interested in setting up dairy farms. Majority of them do get responses from various consultants. These consultants do have vast experience in this field.
One thing i want to let all know that from the number of people who want to get into the dairy business, only a few would want to go on a large scale.Majority of them want to start low. I understand that this is because of lots of fators that restrains them doing on a large scale. They could be the capital required, lack of land, lack of labor force and so on. But on top of it, the most important one is the lack of knowledge on sourcing the cattles.
The consultants do give you all related infos and other things to help you set up the dairy farm.But- what if you are not able to source the right cattle stock for the farm. You end up buying what is available and ultimately this leads to a huge loss. I understand that some of the consultants do say that they will help to source cattles but that comes at a very dearer price.
I ask people out there to first concentrate on finding out where you can source the cattles of your like and then start thinking of getting into the other aspects.
I urge people to start putting in ads that would give details or contacts of people dealing in all varities of cattles so that the biggest problem of a dairy farm stater is met.
Please let me reiterate the point that I do not intent to hurt anybody but rather letting you know the real problem.

Cheers,

Stephen George.

ahteeg

Thank you

Dear Mr. Stephen George,

Thank you for your advice. Could you help me with my below queries ?
I was planning to start a milk collecting and distributing bussiness, for which I am totally new.
We are in garment exporting bussiness and as a divesification I am planning for milk retailing. In that case, if I can possibily source milk from other dairy farmers
1. what are the precautions that I should follow while out sourcing,
2. what are the methods of preserving milk
3. For milk packaging are there any standard machinery.
4. What are the problems that you believe that we have to tackle.

I am only planning for a very small start and gradually move to further investments. Since we are in Coimbatore - Tirupur (T.N.) a town with huge population and potentiality I believe for a start it wont be a problem to market very little quantity.
Pls send in your suggestions.

Regards,

Geetha Rajkumar.

steve_geo1812

Hello.

Dear Geetha Rajkumar,
Thanks for going through my post. If you look at it, you could see that my post came out because of the frustrations that I felt. It was the lack of understanding the people had as they overlooked the fact of sourcing cattles which is the bread and butter of the dairy business.
To answer your queries, let me tell you that I am not an expert in the field but an advise to you is that if you are going to source milk from farmers and then supply it to consumers, it will not give you a great margin. But if you are in a position to increase your customer base and in turn call for an increase in buying and selling on a larger scale, you can start earning good money. I would suggest, you check with Swastik industry , based in TN who supply with milk packing machinery.
I am planning to start a dairy farm in Palakkad dist in the very near future and maybe I can supply you with milk. But that is in a later stage.

Thanks
Steve.

aakashparikh

I would like to understand the dynamics of dairy farming and government grants...

How can you help me???

Please contact....

Last edited by a moderator:

drwaran

Dear Stephen,

I am fully with you on the point of a good germplasm for dairy animals, to begin with.

We are providing consultancy services in the fields of:

a> Integration of Organic farming with dairying
b> Bio energy production

Should u be interested in availing our services or knowing more about our capabilities,

you may call me on or on my email id

with best wishes.

Dr S Rajeshwaran BVSc PGDRM
Chief Consultant
Dr Waran's Livestock Management Consultancy
Chennai - 600 088

Last edited by a moderator: