Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Dairy Farm - Milk Products

Register

Click Here!

greensb

I'm planning to start a dairy farm with 10 cows initially. I want to prepare milk products like Curd,Butter and Ghee and sell it , instead of milk (to society or retail).

1) Is it viable to sell as milk products with these samll # of cows? If no, what is the minimum viable no required?

2) Process of manufacture of the above said products : Any mini scale machinery available or only manual process suggested?
what is the approx cost of the mini plant.

shweshah

dairy project report

hi i would like to get a copy of this particular project report. kindly let me know how can i get one.
thanks

greensb

Milk Products

Dear Agriwin & the Other,
Kindly don't hijack this thread. I'm eagerly awaiting response on my question.

cnsant

Milk Products....

In dairy farming its never the question of where you want to start from but where you want to reach after 1st year since
Cow is not a machine & does not give milk all year round.
It give a variable quantity of milk only after giving a calf which is at an average of once in 15 months.
The time it gives milk is only for 9-10 months.
Therefore you have to plan purchase of cows in a staggered way so that by end of first year you have at least 60% of cows which are ALWAYS milking.
 If new to Dairy farming then you should buy cows giving only 15-20 litrs per day & not higher since the Management becomes Precarious & milking times increase.

For preparing any milk product viz. butter / ghee you need approx. 5 litres to make ONE Kg as such you should have minimum 500 litres of milk so that you can make 100 kgs of the product. Not to mention about Marketing, branding & selling these products at good price. (Since the quantities are small the manufacturing costs will be high & margins less)

Mini scale plants are available ; information available on NET.

Please feel free to call on me for any further & detailed information (Number on NET). This is too vast a subject for mail/posts.

Dr.Chandrakiran N.Sant
Dairy Advisor

sameerpillai

Dear Dr Chandrakiran N Sant..
Hope you are doing good by the grace of God...

Your information regarding dairly farming was very much intresting and usefull.
i am intrested in setting up a small dairy farm in trivandrum kerala..please guide me how should i start
I colud not find your no so i am sending this message
please give me details....

hope to recive your mail soon

Thanking you,

regards

Sameer

Last edited by a moderator:

karthicktcr

Milk and milk products

Selling milk as fresh milk will be better as converting it into products might fetch you more money, but efforts will be more and preservation too costs. It won't be a nice economical venture as conversion to ghee - you need cream seperator, then you need to make ghee by heating it, cooling it down. Go for a 165 Litre per hour cream seperator machine. conversion to ghee using wood fire in a big vessel. Selling products is more profitable than milk. Think of buttermilk and Curd or butter. Ghee you can think later. Starting with 10 cows is better. Try increasing it to 25 in 6 months time. Avoid manual jobs. Depend on machines which will be more reliable and time saving.

Your location??

Karthick

I'm planning to start a dairy farm with 10 cows initially. I want to prepare milk products like Curd,Butter and Ghee and sell it , instead of milk (to society or retail).

1) Is it viable to sell as milk products with these samll # of cows? If no, what is the minimum viable no required?

2) Process of manufacture of the above said products : Any mini scale machinery available or only manual process suggested?
what is the approx cost of the mini plant.

ganapathib

Dear Karthick,

I am interested in this topic. I have setup a dairy farm near Kasaragod, Kerala. Currently I have 20 cows. Financials are not looking good. So, I want to try some dairy products. To start with preparing ghee. Please help me to clarify some of these Qs.

1. If I put 100 litres of Milk (4.5% fat) into the separator, What is the output qty of skim milk and cream ? How much of ghee will I get at the end ?

2. Should I ferment this cream, by adding yogurt ?

3. Should I store this cream in a refrigerator ? for how long, before it is converted to butter or ghee ?

4. What is the next step ? extracting butter from Cream OR directly preparing ghee from butter ?

5. How to extract butter from cream ? are there machines for this purpose ?

6. Should butter be stored for some period before it is converted to Ghee ?

Thank you,
-Ganapathi Bhat.

Selling milk as fresh milk will be better as converting it into products might fetch you more money, but efforts will be more and preservation too costs. It won't be a nice economical venture as conversion to ghee - you need cream seperator, then you need to make ghee by heating it, cooling it down. Go for a 165 Litre per hour cream seperator machine. conversion to ghee using wood fire in a big vessel. Selling products is more profitable than milk. Think of buttermilk and Curd or butter. Ghee you can think later. Starting with 10 cows is better. Try increasing it to 25 in 6 months time. Avoid manual jobs. Depend on machines which will be more reliable and time saving.

Your location??

Karthick