Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Cultivation of ginger and turmeric

Register

Click Here!

pechery

Dear Sir / Madam

My husband has 2 hectares of land in Gajapati district of Orissa. It is a mountainous region. The land is fertile. Would like to know whether ginger and turmeric could be cultivated there. It receives adequate amt of rainfall during the year. The climate is cooler during the major part of the year.
If yes, then how much amount (in kgs - approx) of ginger need to be sowed in 2 hectares of land and how much could be harvested in approximate figures (in kgs). As I am new to agriculture. It would be of great help to me.

Thankyou.

U can also send me ur views at my personal e-mail id

Last edited by a moderator:

Ashwini

Hi

Ginger is a biennial or perennial reed-like herb, grown for the pungent, spicy underground stems or rhizomes. The stems reach a height of 3 feet, with lanceolate, smooth leaves up to 8 inches long. The plants are propagated by small divisions of the rhizomes.Ginger is a tropical plant adapted for cultivation even in regions of subtropical climate such as the high ranges. It prefers a rich soil with high humus content. Being an exhausting crop, ginger is not cultivated continuously in the same field but shifting cultivation is practised.

Ginger rhizomes are used for planting.

Varieties
Dry ginger: Maran, Wayanad, Manantoddy, Himachal, Valluvanad, Kuruppampady, IISR-Varada, IISR-Rejatha and IISR-Mahima
Green ginger: Rio-De-Janeiro, China, Wayanad Local and Tafengiya

Rio-De-Janeiro is preferable for extraction of oleoresin

Preparation of land
Clear the field during February-March and burn the weeds, stubbles, roots etc. in situ. Prepare the land by ploughing or digging. Prepare beds of convenient length (across the slope where the land is undulating), 1 m wide, 25 cm high with 40 cm spacing between the beds. Provide drainage channels, one for every 25 beds on flat lands.
Season and method of planting
The best time for planting ginger is during the first fortnight of April, after receipt of pre-monsoon showers. For irrigated ginger, the best-suited time for planting is middle of February (for vegetable ginger).
Plant rhizome bits of 15 g weight in small pits at a spacing of 20 x 20 cm to 25 x 25 cm and at a depth of 4-5 cm with at least one viable healthy bud facing upwards. Adopt a seed rate of 1500 kg/ha.
Mulching
Immediately after planting, mulch the beds thickly with green leaves @ 15 t/ha. Repeat mulching with green leaves twice @ 7.5 t/ha first 44-60 days and second 90-120 days after planting. Grow green manure crops like daincha and sunn hemp in the interspaces of beds, along with ginger and harvest the green manure crop during second mulching of ginger beds.

Regards
Ashwini

eiribooks

Hi,

We offer a wide assortment of services to our clients which range from consultancy to project reports and from market study to feasibility reports for our clients.

Kindly provide your contact details, Email ID , mobile or contact us at below address so that we can discuss more on this and we can send you Hi-Tech Magazine:

Email: info@eiribooksandprojectreports.com
Engineers India Research Institute
Address:
4449, Nai Sarak,
Main Road, Delhi - 110006 (India)
Mobile:
+91 - 9811437895 (Mr Sudhir Gupta)
Phone:
+91 - 011 - 23918117,
45626431, 64727385
Website (Online Store):
Agro Based Industries, Agro Industry Projects, Agro Based Industries Project Report, Agriculture, Natural Resources Project Reports, Dissertation, Agricultural Thesis, Working Papers, Research Work, Natural Resources Examples, Tips, Resources and Inf
EIRI Books & Project Reports - project reports india, industrial project reports, books project reports

HI-TECH PROJECTS : Ask for the free copy of Hi-Tech Projects, Monthly Magazine on New Project Opportunities and Industrial Technologies. Just e-mail us to send a free copy.

pechery

Thanks Madam for your valuable inputs. Madam I would also like to know how much kgs of ginger can I reap from 2 hectares of land. Approximate figures.

shishirai

Ginger and turmeric cultivation

We would like to know the full details of cultivation of Ginger and Turmeric near Kolkata .KIndly guide us in this cultivation eather as a consultant or a Philosopher. Shishir kumar char

milindshah

Hello Manoj Singh, can you do consultancy for ginger cultivation. I have my lands in Andhra Pradesh and I want to go on a small scale. Awaiting your reply.

Regards,

Milind.