Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Cow fodder info required

Register

Click Here!

keerthigowda

Hi, I am planning to grow cow fodder grass in 2 acres of my land. Which is the best one and what price can I expect, please assist me more on this

kirti s

hello sir
Guinea grass is a popular fodder grass of the tropics suited to the agro-climatic conditions of Kerala. It can be profitably grown as a component of agro-forestry systems and comes up well under coconut and other trees. As an excellent fodder it is much valued for its high productivity, palatability and good persistence.

It is a perennial bunch grass, 0.5 to 4.5 m high. The stem is stout to slender, erect or ascending, glabrous or hairy. Leaves are 10 to 100 cm long and 3.5 cm wide. Panicle loose and much branched, the lower most branches being in a distinct whorl. The small seeds are enclosed in smooth glumes. The seeds shatter. The root system is deep, dense and fibrous.

The important varieties are Makueni, Riversdale, Hamil, PGG-4, FR-600, Haritha, Marathakom and Harithasree. Makueni is a drought resistant cultivar suited to rainfed situations in the state.

The grass is nutritious, palatable and free from oxalates. It makes good hay and silage. The crude protein and the crude fibre content of this grass vary from 8 to 14 per cent and 28 to 36 per cent respectively.

keerthigowda

Kind Attn Kriti S

Thanks a lot for the valuable information. My land is in malavally, Mandya Dist, Karnataka where the weather is mostly dry and the main water resource is from the borewell. Kindly suggest more on this. Also i have heard about something called N02 grass or similar. Please correct if am wrong and suggest

Regards

Thanks a lot for the valuable information. My land is in malavally, Mandya Dist, Karnataka where the weather is mostly dry and the main water resource is from the borewell. Kindly suggest more on this. Also i have heard about something called N02 grass or similar. Please correct if am wrong and suggest

Regards
hi, i think u better undergo a training on dairy farming and green fodder production from slbtc hesarghatta bangalore.

niksnarayana

Hi

I am sure there are plenty of maize growers in Mandya area. Purchase and make silage. It is best fodder on planet and helps in saving labour on daily basis. Or grow your own maize since the yield and quality of the fodder is much better than the grasses and napier etc.

I read you are expecting price, are you planning to sell?

Good luck.

Nikhil

keerthigowda

Kind Attn Ashok Gowda

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. Request you to help me with contact details if any regarding this training. Shall speak to them immediately.

Regards