Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Question Considerations while choosing Agarwood/Sandal wood/Sri gandham as intercrop

Register

Click Here!

nkpaladugu

Hi I'm considering to plant Agarwood/sandal wood/sri gandham as intercrop in my palm oil(1yr) & coconut (10 yr) in telangana. Climatewise all 3 are suitable in Bhadradri district in Telangana. I'm looking for something that woud be beneficial in longer time ie >10 yrs. Wanted to know what sould be considered while choosing one of these to plants as intercrop in palm oil & cocnut like the aspets of marketing conditions, cutting/export policy restrictions by Govt etc. Thanks

garao56

Even though the Sandal wood (Srigandham) survives on 100 varieties of other plants (Hosts) in wild conditions, it will attain better growth if grown in Citrus gardens, Avisha, Custard Apple etc . If at all you want to grow the sandal wood in Oil palm and coconut shade will be coming growth may not be there and host support is limited.. Please think of once again before planting . Instead of sandal wood go for areca nut, cocoa and banana, pine apple, betel wine etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

nkpaladugu

Even though the Sandal wood (Srigandham) survives on 100 varieties of other plants (Hosts) in wild conditions, it will attain better growth if grown in Citrus gardens, Avisha, Custard Apple etc . If at all you want to grow the sandal wood in Oil palm and coconut shade will be coming growth may not be there and host support is limited.. Please think of once again before planting . Instead of sandal wood go for areca nut, cocoa and banana, pine apple, betel wine etc.
Thank you sir. Valueble insights.
However, I stay outside of india, I have severe issue with farm care taker & agricultural workers if I go with cocoa, banana, areca nut etc. I'm looking for crops like agar wood/sandal wood etc which doesn't need continuious monitoring.

Also, from your reply, I got a feeling that you treat Sandal wood and Srigandham as same? aren't they different trees sir?

Thanks

garao56

Sandal wood takes nearly 25-30 years to fetch us returns where as agarwood will take only 8-15 years to mature and fetch us good returns, Please take up agarwood.

sridharvaddi

Sandal wood takes nearly 25-30 years to fetch us returns where as agarwood will take only 8-15 years to mature and fetch us good returns, Please take up agarwood.
I'm from Vijayawada, can I contact you personally regarding agarwood cultivation