Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Cashew and coffee business

Register

Click Here!

divyarai

Hello,

I am new to this forum website, Want to have knowledge about Cashew and Coffee business.

where can i find and share related information about the same?

epbhavya

Hello,

India is the largest producer, processor, exporter, and the second largest consumer of cashew kernels in the world.Cashew processing is a highly labour-intensive activity.The export marketing is highly competitive. Hence, growth in the indigenous production is a must for the existence and growth of the industry. Raw cashew nuts are a seasonal commodity and the trading season is from March to May. Grades and standards for cashew are yet to be introduced in India. Quality is generally determined by appearance and cutting tests that traders employ prior to purchase. The raw cashew nut market involves a large amount of capital where nearly 80 percent of the produce is transacted within a matter of 35 days. The current value of Indian production is estimated at around Rs. 10,000 million.. There are no growers’ cooperatives or organizations for cashew marketing. In Kerala however, the government has been involved in the procurement process and supply to large-scale processors. This adversely affected the cashew trade and has now been replaced by a free market policy.In addition to the local production of nearly 430,000 tons, India also imports a considerable quantity of raw nuts from several African and South-east Asian countries to satisfy the national processing capacity of 700,000 tons established in the country.

India's coffee consumption pattern gives a clue to the potential that the market holds. The nation's per capita consumption of coffee is just 85 grams, compared to 4.5 kilograms in France, 4.6 kilograms in Japan and 6 kilograms in the U.S. The Indian Coffee Board's numbers reveal that while India is the sixth largest coffee producer in the world, with an annual output of 300,000 tons, domestic consumption is only a third, or 100,000 tons. That's because like most of Asia, India is predominantly a tea drinking nation. ln the mid-1990s, coffee consumption in India stagnated at 55,000 tons annually. It has doubled since then because of the growing coffee café culture led by domestic brewers CCD and Barista.

Regards
Bhavya

divyarai

I appreciate your post, I have read your post and I got very happy for your quick reply and information regarding cashew and coffee business. Seems like you have experience in similar business.