Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

BOP Flowers and Long term Trees

Register

Click Here!

rakesh_m69

Hi All...I am Rakesh. could anybody breif me about Bird of Paradise flowers..I want a make a farm near Hosur which is around 60 km from Bangalore...
what i all wanted to know is that
1. Is Bop farming a good business.
2. How much do i need to invest if i have to plant it for 4 acres.
3. Where to buy these seeds and where to sell these flowers.
4. How many months do i need to wait to get returns.
and if any other information you like to share with me, Plz do share.
and also plz let me know about the long term trees which gives consistent returns

Thanks and Regards,
Rakesh M

Ashwini

Hi Rakesh

BOP is a good choice for cultivation and does have demand. This amazing Bird of Paradise could actually grow up to 6 ½ feet tall if cultivated properly. Its leaves are strong since it approximately reach 25-70 centimetre long by 4-12 centimetre wide. The petioles, on the other hand, can be produced as long as 1 meter.

Cultivation: The Bird of Paradise flower can be cultivated in a place where the weather is mild, temperate or even warm. It can be cultivated in most soils but ideally, the soil must be exposed to full sun; contains a pH level of 7.5; rich soil that is characterized as “well-drained”; and with regular watering. Fertilizers can also help make the Bird of Paradise grow healthy. Manure and compost when generously applied to the plant during summer and for about a month will help the Bird of Paradise to respond well in the cultivation process. To encourage and speed up the flowering of the Bird of Paradise, a proportionate level of 3:1:15 amount of fertilizer can come in handy. It is important for the Bird of Paradise to be cultivated with cautious especially during the first few months. After it has already been established, the flower can already survive even in minimal watering only.

Varieties: There are four different varieties of the Bird of Paradise. First is the Mandale’s Gold known for it extraordinary sepals that radiates in its yellow colour; second is the most common specie of the genus known as Strelitzia Nicolae which grows to be a tree and will eventually become a trunk that grows up to 20 feet; third is the Strelitzia Juncea that is rush-like in physical appearance and whose leaves are formed from the base and form a spear-like shape; and the fourth is Strelitzia Alba which is taller than the common ones.

Disease and Cure: Unlike any other cultivated flowers, Bird of Paradise does not suffer much from any flower-related diseases except that there are certain bugs that are capable in infesting the plant. Research has it that mealybugs and spider mites are the number 1 enemy of Bird of Paradise. Although the flower is relatively free from any pests, the months of August and September are crucial for the Bird of Paradise because these are the months where leaf borer attacks it. Added to it is the Fungal Leaf Spot that may even snatch the beauty and elegance of the flower although it may not affect the life of the flower.

Please contact the nearest floriculture department for plants

Regards
Ashwini

sunagrigenetics

Hi Rakesh,

Since the moderator has covered everything on BOP (phew, thanks!) we would like to inform you about the lastest in seviculture.

Some of the best long term investments in tree are: Teak, Sandalwood and Mahagony.

Teak will fetch you Rs 333 per kg, and planting trees in an acre will give you a net gain of Rs 1165.5 lakhs, after 15 years. Red sandalwood will give you Rs. 3500 lakhs to an acre. Obviously this depends on the quality of the planting material.

If you want annual returns, Bamboo is a good idea, as it is low cost low investment and will give you upto rs 47000 to 1,00,000 per acre. Another good bet is date palm, which will give dates, and will fetch you 10 lac an acre.

If you are interested in any of these products, get in touch with us for planting material.
email us or see our website Vadodara Gujarat INDIA
Please contact...

Last edited by a moderator:

connections

cost

dear sir,
i would like to know the costing per plant of the varieties mentioned by you,
we are a based near bangalore airport. your quick response in this regard will be highly appreciated.
srinath