Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Bangalore based IT professional’s experience in mango farming

Register

Is it easy for IT professionals to take up part time farming ?

• Total voters

Click Here!

bbm123

Hi Ramesh Very good start .You can see how inquisitive are some people . They want a forum for such discussions.
Keep it up Most interesting. Thanks and Best wishes.

gunda

mango orchard

sri ramesh experience in farming is just one year old. time alone will teach him what is farming in india.

forget about money, farming will take away the peace of mind today in india. it will spoil the whole life.

it is unfortunate this is the state of affairs in india

Thanks Dear Swamy, I agree that we need to intercrop to optimize usage of land and reduce the risks associated with mono cropping. We are working on planting arid and semi arid zone fruit trees. I realized that there are quite a few varieties that can be grown. Cashew is one among them. I look forward to have a conversation with you. Best Regards,Ramesh
Sir, we have mango orchid in northern karnataka where we have around 70 acres of land in which we have alphonso mangoes and vengurla 7 variety of cashews as inter crop. But mango university in dapoli suggested us not to intercrop both mango and cashew as both are of same family and mango trees will be affected. So i suggest not to go for cashew and mango inter crop. They said better do plantation differently like one plot of cashew and another of mango but not together..

vriksha

thanks!

This is good information. Thank you for sharing it with all of us. Leguminous plants (dals) are a good intercrop for a mango orchard.

rkestur

thanks for adopting farming as business good idea of organic farming.Iam also having organic kesar mango orchard at gir forest of gujarat. suggest to install drip irrigation for plant it effects alot. doing organic is one type of earning and seva also as we supply chemical free product to our brothers.
Hi,

Thanks and wish you the very best.

Regards,
Ramesh

rkestur

Hi Ramesh Very good start .You can see how inquisitive are some people . They want a forum for such discussions.
Keep it up Most interesting. Thanks and Best wishes.
Hi,

Thanks. I am excited to learn and contribute through these forums.

Regards,
Ramesh

patilst

Shree Ramesh,

I am Bangalore based IT professional, now in to agriculture partially. Good to read about your above story paitaining to Mango. I have some plans & good to know about you, can I have your e-mail id to enable me to write to you in details? My e-mail Id is patil629@gmail.com

Rgds,
Patil

r1chandra

monkey menace

I belong to a village in Nalgonda District of Andhra Pradesh.

The monkey menace so horrible that people are afraid of cultivating vegetables. They keep the doors of their houses closed for the fear of monkeys entering and taking away the cooked food and utensils and even clothes. There are cases monkeys attacking the passers by. The menace is more than the menace of wild animals. The people are suffering silently. What sort of help we can expect from the authorities.

arun08

Monkey Menace

MONKEY SPIKES
MonkeyScare invented by Indolite is the only solution to scare away monkeys from your premises. This unique monkey scare device, made of Polycarbonate, provides the most humane, innovative and economical solution to monkey menace.

rkestur

MONKEY SPIKES
MonkeyScare invented by Indolite is the only solution to scare away monkeys from your premises. This unique monkey scare device, made of Polycarbonate, provides the most humane, innovative and economical solution to monkey menace.

Thanks for your inputs on the solution to Monkey menace. We have trees outside of our farm, adjacent to our farm barbed wire fence. They jump in to our farm from the adjacent trees.
I would also like to know the economics of this solution for large farms (> 10 acres)

Regards,
Ramesh

siddesh

Really great job

First of all thanks for sharing your experience. Great

Really i appreciate your devotion to the sacred profession of serving nature. By growing any fruit or agriculture crops, you are doing a nature work wherein you are feeding not only to human beings but also the nature depending birds/animals etc. Good luck.

Menwhile I also attempted to do the same thing. I am working in CPRI, Bangalore, I have 25.00 acres land at Hiriyur, good water two borewells. I invested lot of money at the development stage and now facing financial crunch. I cannot suffer any more as I have look after the education of children. Hence, I decied to sell my farm. If you are interested please call me

With Best Wishes:

Siddesh

Mr.Ramesh Kestur bought a 10-year-old mango orchard in 2010. The farm is spread over 14.6 acres out of which 10 acres are mango trees. There are around 200 mature treeswhich are 3 year old, and 100 which have been planted last year. The orchard is located in Srinivaspur, Karnataka. Mr. Ramesh is a BE in Electronics. He has 16 years of work experience in the field of telecom R&D. He is a Group Manager in a leading IT firm.
Mr. Ramesh opted for growing mangoes as it is a hardy crop suitable for arid and semi-arid zones, and requires low maintenance. “I decided to go for an orchard instead of a green field setup since I cannot do a full time role in the orchard. I chose Srinivaspur for the farm location as Srinivaspur is the “mango bowl” of Karnataka. It has high night temperatures which are ideal for mango crops,”he informs.
Mango Varieties : The orchard produces 11 mango varieties: Alphonso, Thothapuri, Raspuri, Rajgira, Kala Pahaaad, Laddu, Neelam, Malgoa, Naati (DhaadiPasand), Omelet (Pickle variety) and Banganapalli. They produced 15 tons of mangoes last year.
Mr. Ramesh sells the produce at the Lalbagh Mango Mela. “All our mangoes were sold out in 3 days flat. The thothapuri variety is ideal for pulp and we sell them to pulp making units,” says Mr. Ramesh, warning, “One can never get good prices if we dump the produce in Tractors and sell them at the Mandi as 40% of the produce will go waste.”
Challenges : Monkey menace is the biggest problem Mr. Ramesh faced. “One has to be on continuous vigil during fruiting season, a troop of monkeys can cause huge damage if they monkey around for even a few minutes in the farm. The other issue is about adopting scientific methods in harvesting. It’s a challenge to educate farm employees on the perils of dropping/damaging mangoes during harvest. Harvest losses in India are as high as 40%,” he says.
There are two permanent farmers at the farm. They are trained in organic practices. Other farm labour is used at the time of harvest.
Organic Farming : The farm uses natural and organic farming methods. Pheromone traps are used against fruit flies. Neem extract is used for pest management. Panchagavya and other organic methods are used for nutrition management. Mr. Ramesh grows horse gram and other leguminous plants as an intercrop for nitrogen fixation and for regulating soil temperature. Pruning is performed to allow sunlight and to prevent hopper attacks which thrive in moist and shade environment.
“We ripen Mangoes using a special type of dry hay. This is a conventional system; the aroma and taste of the mango ripened using this technique is unique. Shelf life of mangoes ripened using this method is more than twice the normal method,” avers Mr. Ramesh.
Future Plans : Mr. Ramesh plans to take up farming full time once he builds a robust model of crop combinations. In future he plans for a minor fruit orchard. “We are working with IIHR and identified 16 varieties of minor horticultural crops. My goal is to have an arid zone diverse tropical fruit orchard,” he says.

So what are your impressions are reading this article? Feel free to ask questions and leave feedback on this article. The editorial team of AgricultureInfomation.com and Mr.Ramesh Kestur will monitor and respond to your comments.

Last edited by a moderator:

editorialteam

Thread is closed.

Dear Readers,

Please note this thread is now closed since the Editors are no longer moderating this topic. If you wish to discuss further on this topic pleasse free to contact the members directly via private message or by posting a new topic in the "Q & A" forum.

Regards,
Shweta - Editorial Team

mamunraheel

Mango Yield ?

I am a mango grower from Shimoga. Just wanted some clarification about the yield of your farm. You have mentioned that there are 300 plants in all out of which 200 are just 3 years old while the remaining 100 have just been planted last year. You still claim that your yield last year was 15tons?? That is quite an amazing statistic and contrasts directly with the yield from my nearly 600 (six hundred) 10 year old plants which was a little over 10 tons last year (2012). Even I am a Pharmacy professional who is now into full time farming. Either you are doing something right and very different from me or the figures are probably wrong. If the figures are indeed right, I would love to visit your farm and pick up some valuable tips from you. .

sounik

Dear swamy,
We also own a mango farm at Palamaner of 250 plants spread over 3.5 acres,we wish to give the same to on lease.Please help with us to contact details of people who will be interested in taking our farm on lease.
with regards,

gova

That's Great. Am marketing professional as well, would like to get in touch with Ramesh.. please do let me know, how that would be possible….

rninan

Is it possible to allow me to visit your farm to observe your farming methods. Please give us your contact
Regards
rninan

sgvishu

Sir , i have 4 acre land of mango farming and i am new to this sector. Kindly advice me how to market the product with a good price as i don't believe in local brokers. Earlier my father selling mango without knowledge of price. This time i wanted to take experience of agriculture product.