Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Bangalore based IT professional’s experience in mango farming

Register

Is it easy for IT professionals to take up part time farming ?

• Total voters

Click Here!

editorialteam

Mr.Ramesh Kestur bought a 10-year-old mango orchard in 2010. The farm is spread over 14.6 acres out of which 10 acres are mango trees. There are around 200 mature treeswhich are 3 year old, and 100 which have been planted last year. The orchard is located in Srinivaspur, Karnataka. Mr. Ramesh is a BE in Electronics. He has 16 years of work experience in the field of telecom R&D. He is a Group Manager in a leading IT firm.
Mr. Ramesh opted for growing mangoes as it is a hardy crop suitable for arid and semi-arid zones, and requires low maintenance. “I decided to go for an orchard instead of a green field setup since I cannot do a full time role in the orchard. I chose Srinivaspur for the farm location as Srinivaspur is the “mango bowl” of Karnataka. It has high night temperatures which are ideal for mango crops,”he informs.
Mango Varieties : The orchard produces 11 mango varieties: Alphonso, Thothapuri, Raspuri, Rajgira, Kala Pahaaad, Laddu, Neelam, Malgoa, Naati (DhaadiPasand), Omelet (Pickle variety) and Banganapalli. They produced 15 tons of mangoes last year.
Mr. Ramesh sells the produce at the Lalbagh Mango Mela. “All our mangoes were sold out in 3 days flat. The thothapuri variety is ideal for pulp and we sell them to pulp making units,” says Mr. Ramesh, warning, “One can never get good prices if we dump the produce in Tractors and sell them at the Mandi as 40% of the produce will go waste.”
Challenges : Monkey menace is the biggest problem Mr. Ramesh faced. “One has to be on continuous vigil during fruiting season, a troop of monkeys can cause huge damage if they monkey around for even a few minutes in the farm. The other issue is about adopting scientific methods in harvesting. It’s a challenge to educate farm employees on the perils of dropping/damaging mangoes during harvest. Harvest losses in India are as high as 40%,” he says.
There are two permanent farmers at the farm. They are trained in organic practices. Other farm labour is used at the time of harvest.
Organic Farming : The farm uses natural and organic farming methods. Pheromone traps are used against fruit flies. Neem extract is used for pest management. Panchagavya and other organic methods are used for nutrition management. Mr. Ramesh grows horse gram and other leguminous plants as an intercrop for nitrogen fixation and for regulating soil temperature. Pruning is performed to allow sunlight and to prevent hopper attacks which thrive in moist and shade environment.
“We ripen Mangoes using a special type of dry hay. This is a conventional system; the aroma and taste of the mango ripened using this technique is unique. Shelf life of mangoes ripened using this method is more than twice the normal method,” avers Mr. Ramesh.
Future Plans : Mr. Ramesh plans to take up farming full time once he builds a robust model of crop combinations. In future he plans for a minor fruit orchard. “We are working with IIHR and identified 16 varieties of minor horticultural crops. My goal is to have an arid zone diverse tropical fruit orchard,” he says.

So what are your impressions are reading this article? Feel free to ask questions and leave feedback on this article. The editorial team of AgricultureInfomation.com and Mr.Ramesh Kestur will monitor and respond to your comments.

willyboy

You have mentioned that 15 Ton mangos produced from 10 Acres of land. Could you describe the economies - i.e. income and expenditure?

SWAMY1807

Dear Ramesh,
Good work you done. No farmer will do the works you mentioned around. You might abserved how other farmers care their orchards around you and you must surprised.

The best way you did was sale on your own effort leads you to win market gamble. If possible grow cashew as inter crop with present mango trees.

If you have water felicity than why can't you go for all fruit crops you know/want together with each?

Iam owning mango garden in Mulbagal.
Call me for any clarifications.
Regards.
SWAMY

tsejang

mango orchard

Mr ramesh
i am from USA but my dad lives at mysore and he is a farmers.he is interested in mango farm but have no ideas where to find mango sapling.please let me know nearest fruite nursery.

vriksha

dry hay for ripening mangos?

I would like to know more about the special dry hay used by Mr. Ramesh for ripening his mangos naturally. Is it just ordinary paddy straw or something else? I would like to have a clarification. Many farmers want eco-friendly methods for ripening but in the absence of proper guidance and knowledge they are forced to used calcium carbide and those who can afford are using ethylene chambers. But dry hay seems to be a wonderful solution. Kindly let me have the details. Thanks in advance.

panigrahi

hi,
the best way for ripening of mango is kendu/tendu leaf alternatively it is leaf for making of beedi.
thanks,
panigrahi

vriksha

time taken for mangos to ripen in tendu leaves

THanks for the info about tendu leaves. Have you ever used tendu leaves yourself for ripening of mangos? If yes, then how many days did it take for the mangos to ripen after being wrapped up in the tendu leaves?

Tendu leaves can be purchased in bulk for sure. Most of us want to know the time it will take for these mangos to ripen sufficiently for transport to the market--to the wholesaler or retailer. Thanks

rkestur

You have mentioned that 15 Ton mangos produced from 10 Acres of land. Could you describe the economies - i.e. income and expenditure?
This is the first year I harvested mango. I had to spend quite an amount on Capital expenditure in cleaning up the weeds, setting up Drip irrigation etc, I was effectively negative the first year considering the capex involved. Hope to turn around this year if the yield and the rates are good !!

Thanks,Ramesh

rkestur

Dear Ramesh,
Good work you done. No farmer will do the works you mentioned around. You might abserved how other farmers care their orchards around you and you must surprised.

The best way you did was sale on your own effort leads you to win market gamble. If possible grow cashew as inter crop with present mango trees.

If you have water felicity than why can't you go for all fruit crops you know/want together with each?

Iam owning mango garden in Mulbagal.
Call me for any clarifications.
Regards.
SWAMY

Thanks Dear Swamy, I agree that we need to intercrop to optimize usage of land and reduce the risks associated with mono cropping. We are working on planting arid and semi arid zone fruit trees. I realized that there are quite a few varieties that can be grown. Cashew is one among them. I look forward to have a conversation with you. Best Regards,Ramesh

SWAMY1807

Normally we the farmers in our villages use hay of Baade hullu & Thangadi soppu(in Kannada) it is available in hills. Paddy grass can also used.
Regards.
SWAMY

rkestur

Mr ramesh
i am from USA but my dad lives at mysore and he is a farmers.he is interested in mango farm but have no ideas where to find mango sapling.please let me know nearest fruite nursery.
Hi,
Please drop me an e-mail and I will send the list of nurseries which I have short listed based on my visits.

Thanks,
Ramesh
rkestur@gmail.com

rkestur

I would like to know more about the special dry hay used by Mr. Ramesh for ripening his mangos naturally. Is it just ordinary paddy straw or something else? I would like to have a clarification. Many farmers want eco-friendly methods for ripening but in the absence of proper guidance and knowledge they are forced to used calcium carbide and those who can afford are using ethylene chambers. But dry hay seems to be a wonderful solution. Kindly let me have the details. Thanks in advance.
Hi,

It is not just paddy straw. It is the hay that is used for thatched roof huts and it is very commonly available in villages. It is basically denser than paddy hay, which helps to trap heat and ripen faster. It renders a unique aroma to mangos.

Regards,
Ramesh

vriksha

price obtained for mangos?

Ramesh, I am just curious to learn whether you sold your mango crop to a wholesaler or to several retailers? And what price did your mangos fetch you last season? Many people want to grow mangos but are scared that they will not get a good price due to oversupply in the market. Please clarify this point for all of us.

Also do you have drip irrigation for your entire farm or only a portion of your farm?

jyona

Instead of mango you can do rubber plantation in the south canara region and can cultivate vegetables in between trees for 4 years .It is 300% profitable than mango.
contact me for more details please.

szala

Mr.Ramesh Kestur bought a 10-year-old mango orchard in 2010. The farm is spread over 14.6 acres out of which 10 acres are mango trees. There are around 200 mature treeswhich are 3 year old, and 100 which have been planted last year. The orchard is located in Srinivaspur, Karnataka. Mr. Ramesh is a BE in Electronics. He has 16 years of work experience in the field of telecom R&D. He is a Group Manager in a leading IT firm.
Mr. Ramesh opted for growing mangoes as it is a hardy crop suitable for arid and semi-arid zones, and requires low maintenance. “I decided to go for an orchard instead of a green field setup since I cannot do a full time role in the orchard. I chose Srinivaspur for the farm location as Srinivaspur is the “mango bowl” of Karnataka. It has high night temperatures which are ideal for mango crops,”he informs.
Mango Varieties : The orchard produces 11 mango varieties: Alphonso, Thothapuri, Raspuri, Rajgira, Kala Pahaaad, Laddu, Neelam, Malgoa, Naati (DhaadiPasand), Omelet (Pickle variety) and Banganapalli. They produced 15 tons of mangoes last year.
Mr. Ramesh sells the produce at the Lalbagh Mango Mela. “All our mangoes were sold out in 3 days flat. The thothapuri variety is ideal for pulp and we sell them to pulp making units,” says Mr. Ramesh, warning, “One can never get good prices if we dump the produce in Tractors and sell them at the Mandi as 40% of the produce will go waste.”
Challenges : Monkey menace is the biggest problem Mr. Ramesh faced. “One has to be on continuous vigil during fruiting season, a troop of monkeys can cause huge damage if they monkey around for even a few minutes in the farm. The other issue is about adopting scientific methods in harvesting. It’s a challenge to educate farm employees on the perils of dropping/damaging mangoes during harvest. Harvest losses in India are as high as 40%,” he says.
There are two permanent farmers at the farm. They are trained in organic practices. Other farm labour is used at the time of harvest.
Organic Farming : The farm uses natural and organic farming methods. Pheromone traps are used against fruit flies. Neem extract is used for pest management. Panchagavya and other organic methods are used for nutrition management. Mr. Ramesh grows horse gram and other leguminous plants as an intercrop for nitrogen fixation and for regulating soil temperature. Pruning is performed to allow sunlight and to prevent hopper attacks which thrive in moist and shade environment.
“We ripen Mangoes using a special type of dry hay. This is a conventional system; the aroma and taste of the mango ripened using this technique is unique. Shelf life of mangoes ripened using this method is more than twice the normal method,” avers Mr. Ramesh.
Future Plans : Mr. Ramesh plans to take up farming full time once he builds a robust model of crop combinations. In future he plans for a minor fruit orchard. “We are working with IIHR and identified 16 varieties of minor horticultural crops. My goal is to have an arid zone diverse tropical fruit orchard,” he says.

So what are your impressions are reading this article? Feel free to ask questions and leave feedback on this article. The editorial team of AgricultureInfomation.com and Mr.Ramesh Kestur will monitor and respond to your comments.
thanks for adopting farming as business good idea of organic farming.Iam also having organic kesar mango orchard at gir forest of gujarat. suggest to install drip irrigation for plant it effects alot. doing organic is one type of earning and seva also as we supply chemical free product to our brothers.

bmurali

Mr. Ramesh can you plz share me yr M.No

I am Murali born and brought-up in Bandapalli Village Srinivasapura Taluk, Kolar Dist. I am a B.E - Electronics graduate 19yrs of experience in Telecom and Datcom, present working with Tata Elxsi Ltd, Bangalore as Manager.

I have a Mango form 11 acres with 9 varieties, mainly Totapuri and Neelam, from last 4yrs the 85 - 95 tons produced in my garden.
I have done drip watering for all mango trees. I generally sell in garden; because I will not get time sell my own in market. In 2010 that time bumper price I have sold it for 11 lakhs produced around 95 tons.

Dear Mr. Ramesh I need your help on selling part.
Please mail me your contact details, we discuss more.

Thanks & Regards,
Murali
M:9880854712