Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

advice needed

Register

Click Here!

tvlramesh

Hello,
I am in possession of 5 acres of agricultural land without fencing with ground water. I am thinking of planting teek, mango & coconut plantation there. I want to know how much investment is needed for that? Where can get good quality sapling in Tirunelveli or Tutikorin Districts?

Ashwini

Hello Ramesh,

You can plant coconut and also inter crop with BANANA and pineapple . They have been found as the most profitable intercropping options in coconut cultivation. YOu can approach the Coconut development board for seedlings. The coconut saplings are also available at the Tamil Nadu agriculture university.

REgards
Ashwini S

sivasp

Hi
My one cent contribution for the people who are new to this coconut cultivation:

I do own a coconut form and i am happy to share my experience.

1. There are three variations in coconut variety at the broader level and they are:
1. West coast tall. -- takes 6 - 7 years to start yeilding. In this there are many sub - varities in this. For example - In Karnataka, the famous one is Tiptur variety. In Tamilnadu, the high yeild one is Pollachi variety (This one requires moister in air to give better yield).
2. short variety - gives yeild in 4 years and have a lifespace of 20 - 30 years.
3. Hybrid and cross varieties - Start yield at 3 years. Yield is 30 - 40 % than the regular varities. However, you need to take care very well.

If one is looking to setup a coconut farm with more than 100 seedlings, I strongly suggest you to visit the farm directly and see the parent trees before buying the seedlings. Particularly for the Hybrid item, it is very very important. The seller selling the coconut seedling should have a certified coconut parent tree and a unit who is well trained in creating cross. Otherwise, it is not at all advisable.

Also, there is one another growing market is tender coconut market. This would give you lot of scope if your farm is near a city.

Another important thing is, you need to have water for next 25 years. If you are doubt about this, i would go for Tamarind cultivation. The Tamarind requires relatively very less water and less care. The hybrid Tamarind is expected to generate more revenue than coconut (!).

I am more happy to share my experience. please send me private message if needed.

With wishes,
Siva.

arvishu

curry leaves

Hello,
I am in possession of 5 acres of agricultural land without fencing with ground water. I am thinking of planting teek, mango & coconut plantation there. I want to know how much investment is needed for that? Where can get good quality sapling in Tirunelveli or Tutikorin Districts?
Please go far Curry leaves cultivation one variety SENGATTU will grow well
Viswanathan

atspl

Your idea for Teak will work only if you have good soil depth in your land without subtrata rock(granite).If the soil depth is too little your teak, which may start off with great vigour will wither away on contact with the rock.

ananyaagrotech

Hello,
if you want to go for mango or coconut farming.we have a solution multy cropping system and dence cropping system.in this system mango or coconut sutable intercrops 4 verities for each.with thease intercrops increase main crop yeald,4 types of inter crop production yeald you get eztra in that same land.dence planting method more plants accomodate in same land get more income.we are giving consultancy for sutable inter crops for all horticulture crops.please contact ananyaagrotech@yahoo.co.in

padmanabhan_ganesan

Hello,
Hi tvlramesh,

Are you just looking for fencing your land? Is it to avoid humans, cattle from entering your land? What is the main crop in your farm? Unless you provide these information, suggesting fence crops will not be appropriate.

Assuming hypothetically, you have coconut trees as fence crops, you cannot restrict humans and cattle. Another problem is, if you have paddy or similar crops, and the entire fence is covered with coconut trees, after sometime, the shadow of the crops will fall on the main crop and it will reduce your productivity of the main crop.

Assuming hypothetically, you have mango trees as fence crops, the possibility of theft is immense once the harvest starts.

So, before deciding, have the problem defined clearly in your mind and look for solution keeping in view the problem statement.

Hope this helps...

Regards
Padmanabhan Ganesan
Agriculture for Everybody

sivasp

Hi tvlramesh,

I forgot to mention the spacing i had in my farm. I have 27ft x 30ft spacing. This allows me to grow other tree based inter-crops like Pomegrante (this would give you high return if the sail is good and suitable), Lemon, Hybrid drumstick and Panana if you have water. When we have 30x27, we can plant tender coconuts after 3 years. This would bring mixed income.

In general 27 x 27 feet is sufficient for coconut and this is enough for inter-crops as well. Pit size should be 2 1/2 feet x 2 1/2 feet. Use Digger (JCP) to dig the pit. fill 1 feet with good quality of soil and Sand. The sand would help the water to release and retain minimum around the plant. Do not cut the roots from from the seedlings. Check for fungus in the plant. Do not use drill type machines if you have hard soil. Using JCP helps the soil to release the tightness and helps the plants to release the roots easily.

Since we are going to start getting into rainy season, very important to check for fungus attach. Check for the same. Make sure the water do not stay longer in the bit. It should get drained after the irrigation or rain. if you have clay soil, add sand mixture during the plantation. Around 7 - 10kg of sand we use for each plant.

i have planted Tiptur verity from Tiptur and a good suppler near palladam. This one gives medium size to large size nuts. The yield is very good among the tall varieties. This one gives around 180gm of copra per nut. This is also suitable for tender coconut as the size is of the nut is medium to large.

All the best.

With regards
Siva.