Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

How to start a farm business

Register

Click Here!

shivaamarun

Im just 43 years old - young and energetic farmer - young enough to run a farm land. I know most of you are experienced in farm activities. I have a small piece of farm land of 8 acres at Kulithalai ( dry land). It has a bore well but no electricity. I wish to start out a farm venture. Kindly give me your expert guide lines and advices. Im sure it would be of much use to me.
Mail me : netresearchlabs@gmail.com

Regards

Arun ( young farmer)
SHIVAAM FARMS,
Gudalur, Kulithalai

cosmosgreen

Dear Arun,

I am happy you are venturing to run a farm of 8 acres. A methodical approach will be to undertake the following steps.

1. Get a soil analysis done with 8 to 10 parameters and seek advice of a sound agronomist or Government agencies nearby. They will be able to let you know broadly the types of crop your land can potentially grow.
2. Once you find that the soil is good and bears potential to grow a few crops, assess water availability. For this get water diviner from the village and there are many people doing it in many different ways. Typically for 8 acres you may need as a thumb rule, 3 bores that must get you at least 3" of water from each of the bores.
3. Once these two steps are identified, commence to fence the lands properly and securely and provide a wide gate for vehicle and wicket gate for two wheelers and men.
4. Then you need to till the land, select the crop and plant them. You may take local farmer's advice in this regard.
Hope some basic data is available. For any query you may contact me at vijurags@gmail.com