Dry land agriculture ideas

Register

g_shanmuga

Hi Guys,

I am new this forum, i have some plans to do agriculture. I have 2 acre land in my native which 20 km from Thirupachetti in madurai district.
10 years back we had grown rice, chilli, egg plant, cotton in our land, on that time we have plenty of water availability through Vaigai river.

But now no one is there is my native to do agriculture and one of the main reason there were no water availability in our lake which will get water from vaigai river.
So if i want to do agriculture means i have to relay on ground water.

I need some information from your experience.

1. How much will cost for boring up to 150 feet ?.
2. Our water is not have any taste, what kind of corp can i cultivate using this water ?.
3. In Summer temperature would be more than 40 deg Celsius, So what are the kind of corp which is suitable for my land climate ?.
4. Even though i cleared the Karuvel maram in my land, is there any problem for me due to the surrounding lands which still has Karuvel maram thousands of acres ?
5. I am planing to do organic farming using Suresh Palekar techniques and one of his 5 layers of orchid model, is that suitable for my land ?
6. If i want to cultivate vegetables means what are the suitable crops for my land and temperature ?

Please let know your experience by sharing.

Thanks & Regards
Shanmuga ganesh.S

Buy the book "Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Interviews"

dhanz

Hi Shanmuga Ganesh

First up it is very good idea to get in to Agriculture and take it next level from our traditional way.

I am also was trying to get some idea to revive my agriculture initiative, done some study from various sources, following may help you

1. Assume you will have existing EB connection, approximate cost for bore well drilling in Tamil Nadu as follows,

Drilling charges per feet from 1 to 300 feet Rs.55/- per feet
Drilling charges per feet from 301 to 400 feet Rs.65/- per feet
Drilling charges per feet from 401 to 500 feet Rs.75/- per feet
Drilling charges per feet from 501 to 600 feet Rs.90/- per feet
Drilling charges per feet from 601 to 700 feet Rs.110/- per feet
Casing pipe 2 mm MS Rs 280/- per feet
Casing pipe PVC Rs 240/- per feet

you can visit the following sites for more information
Borewell drilling | Bore well India Foundation
Frequently asked questions (FAQ) on borewells: Part II - Maintenance of borewells and problems associated with existing borewell

We have used one of the bore-well drilling companies from Palani, we have drilled about 600 feet to get decent water to cover requirement.

2. It is recommended to check the PH value of the water and do soil test to get a recommended corps, combination of both will have different effect for different types of land. you can take a soil sample from different part of your land determine the PH value and approach agri engineers they will provide right inputs.

in our case water is less salty and karisal soil, we have crops like tobacco, cotton and sunflower etc.,

3. For vegetable you need to red soil and with good water, if you plan to use the land all 12 months including summer then it is better to go for controlled farming, to get more information, you can go Reddiarchatriam - where Government of Tamil Nadu and Israel setting up CoE for modern farming, this is close Madurai, you may get more advice from them on control farming and irrigation.

4. What I understand about Semai Karuvel is suppose to suck the ground water, i have seen them in mostly used lan, but i have seen lots Karuvel's in the lake, pond etc, i am not sure about's Karuvel's characteristics.

Hope these information helps you bit

Kind Regards
Sakthivel

Buy the book "Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Interviews"