dairy farming.

Register

chintu2525

hi i am planning to start a dairy in daman.can anyone pls guide me through the whole process.should i start will cows or baffaloes.which breed can yield maximum yield.i am planning for a hitech dairy.i need 500ltrs milk per day,so how many cattels will i require.what kind of fodder is good.pls give as much details as possible

Buy the book "Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Interviews"

Ashwini

HI

Modern and well established scientific principles, practices and skills should be used to obtain maximum economic benefits from dairy farming. Some of the major norms and recommended practices are as follows :

I. Housing:

1. Construct shed on dry, properly raised ground.

2. Avoid water-logging, marshy and heavy rainfall areas.

3. The walls of the sheds should be 1.5 to 2 meters high.

4. The walls should be plastered to make them damp proof.

5. The roof should be 3-4 metres high.

6. The cattle shed should be well ventilated.

7. The floor should be pucca/hard, even non-slippery impervious, well sloped (3 cm per metre) and properly drained to
remain dry and clean.

8. Provide 0.25 metre broad, pucca drain at the rear of the standing space.

9. A standing space of 2 x 1.05 metre for each animal is needed.

10. The manger space should be 1.05 metre with front height of 0.5 metre and depth of 0.25 metre.

11. The corners in mangers, troughs, drains and walls should be rounded for easy cleaning.

12. Provide 5-10 sq. metre loaf space for each animal.

13. Provide proper shade and cool drinking water in summer.

14. In winter keep animals indoor during night and rain.

15. Provide individual bedding daily.

16. Maintain sanitary condition around shed.

17. Control external parasites (ticks, flies etc.) by spraying the pens, sheds with Malathion or Copper sulphate solution.

18. Drain urine into collection pits and then to the field through irrigation channels.

19. Dispose of dung and urine properly. A gobar gas plant will be an ideal way. Where gobar gas plant is not constructed,
convert the dung alongwith bedding material and other farm wastes into compost.

20. Give adequate space for the animals. (The housing space requirement of crossbred cattle in various
categories/age-groups is given in Annexure-VII).

II. Selection of Animal :

1. Immediately after release of the loan purchase the stock from a reliable breeder or from nearest livestock market.

2. Select healthy, high yielding animals with the help of bank's technical officer, veterinary/animal husbandry officer of State
government/ Zilla Parishad, etc.

3. Purchase freshly calved animals in their second/third lactation.

4. Before purchasing, ascertain actual milk yield by milking the animal three times consecutively.

5. Identify the newly purchased animal by giving suitable identification mark (ear tagging or tattooing).

6. Vaccinate the newly purchased animal against disease.

7. Keep the newly purchased animal under observation for a period of about two weeks and then mix with the general
herd.

8. Purchase a minimum economical unit of two milch animals.

9. Purchase the second animal/second batch after 5-6 months from the purchase of first animal.

10. As buffaloes are seasonal calvers purchase them during July to February.

11. As far as possible purchase the second animal when the first animal is in its late stage of lactation and is about to
become dry, thereby maintaining continuity in milk production vis-a-vis income. This will ensure availability of adequate
funds for maintaining the dry animals.

12. Follow judicious culling and replacement of animals in a herd.

13. Cull the old animals after 6-7 lactations.

III. Feeding of Milch Animals

1. Feed the animals with best feeds and fodders. (Feeding schedule is given in Anneuxre VIII).

2. Give adequate green fodder in the ration.

3. As far as possible, grow green fodder on your land wherever available.

4. Cut the fodder at the right stage of their growth.

5. Chaff roughage before feeding.

6. Crush the grains and concentrates.

7. The oil cakes should be flaky and crumbly.

8. Moisten the concentrate mixture before feeding.

9. Provide adequate vitamins and minerals. Provide salt licks besides addition of mineral mixture to the concentrate ration.

10. Provide adequate and clean water.

11. Give adequate exercise to the animals. Buffaloes should be taken for wallowing daily. In case this is not possible sprinkle
sufficient water more particularly during summer months.

12. To estimate the daily feed requirement remember that the animals consume about 2.5 to 3.0 percent of their body weight on dry
matter basis.

IV. Milking of Animals

1. Milk the animals two to three times a day.

2. Milk at fixed times.

3. Milk in one sitting within eight minutes.

4. As far as possible, milking should be done by the same person regularly.

5. Milk the animal in a clean place.

6. Wash the udder and teat with antiseptic lotions/luke-warm water and dry before milking.

7. Milker should be free from any contagious diseases and should wash his hands with antiseptic lotion before each milking.

8. Milking should be done with full hands, quickly and completely followed by stripping.

9. Sick cows/buffaloes should be milked at the end to prevent spread of infection.

V. Protection against Diseases

1. Be on the alert for signs of illness such as reduced feed intake, fever, abnormal discharge or unusual behaviour.

2. Consult the nearest veterinary aid centre for help if illness is suspected.

3. Protect the animals against common diseases.

4. In case of outbreak of contagious disease, immediately segregate the sick, in-contact and the healthy animals and take necessary
disease control measures. (Vaccination schedule is given in Annexure IX).

5. Conduct periodic tests for Brucellosis, Tuberculosis, Johne's disease, Mastitis etc.

6. Deworm the animals regularly.

7. Examine the faeces of adult animals to detect eggs of internal parasites and treat the animals with suitable drugs.

8. Wash the animals from time to time to promote sanitation.

REgards
Ashwini

sampadafarms

Dairy farm_500 litres a day

hi i am planning to start a dairy in daman.can anyone pls guide me through the whole process.should i start will cows or baffaloes.which breed can yield maximum yield.i am planning for a hitech dairy.i need 500ltrs milk per day,so how many cattels will i require.what kind of fodder is good.pls give as much details as possible
Dear Mr. Chintu,

We can provide you complete services to establish a dairy farm in Daman. We will let you know you about the whole process. Not only to you to many its a question that what to prefer cows or buffaloes. We can solve that. We can provide you latest and improved stall technology. We will provide you mechanisation details. Then, if you want 500 litrs of milk every day, you should have around 50 milching animals (which gives 15litres/day/animal) to get that required 500 litres of milk. You require around 12 -14 acres of irrigated land to produce the fodder to this 50 animals.

For further details and guidelines, kindly contact us.

Regards
Raghu Ram
Sampada Farms & Consultants

reddyvb

Hi Chintu

I suggest you to visit maximum dairies in your state and spend some time in understanding the difficulties faced by them, if you strongly feel that you can overcome all the difficulties you observed during your visits then you can blindly start the dairy farm.
Dont waste time & money on any consultants or project reports.

If you want any further help or clarifications contact me.
It would be my pleasure to guide you.
you can reach me by mailiing

Regards
Viswanath

Last edited by a moderator:

chintu2525

i am actually interested in practicle experinces of dairy farms.consultants will always show a very healty picture on paper but dairy and agriculture is not about calculation on paper as its a natural industry.

i joined this blog for sharing experinces of dairy farm owners.i hope u guys agree with me

niksnarayana

Challenging but not impossible

You need to have good cows.
Nowadays good cows giving above 20lts milk per day cost anywhere from 40,000 to 80,000. There is large demand for these cows from all over the country.
You can get cows giving less milk for cheaper cost also, but I feel that this 1 time expense should be done without any doubt as these will become the foundation of your dairy and will give birth to calves that will in turn become good cows.
So first step is to purchase good cows.
Second is to have atleast 20 cows as smaller number of animals will mean more expense on labour and cow shed.
Third is reduction of feed cost by procuring your own ingredients and making it in the farm. Concentrates constitute to almost 30% of dairy expense, so this is a department where savings should be done.
Feeding is important, there should not be any compromise on feeding the cow. A 20lt milk producing cow consumes at least 30kg green fodder, 6 kg dry fodder and 10 kg concentrates. Only then will you get the milk.

Any dairy which calls themselves successful should look for 40% business profit
It is sad that in India, people try to save on costs by feeding less and starving the poor animal and aim for 100% profit. That is really sad and I pity the cows that live in such households.
Cow is very humble animal, if you treat it nicely, it will in turn take care of you. That is the feeling you should have.

Best of luck to all the dairy farmers.
Nikhil