Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Opinion White Sandalwood V/S Red Sandalwood

Register

Click Here!

ks_ranjit

I'm very new to this domain and i have recently purchased small piece of land (Red Soil) and wanted go for Red Sandalwood plantation as an investment for future.

However, i'm a little confused about which one should i opt as i'm not aware of the diffrences between the two types, their uses, their demand and their current value\cost (Selling price per a fully grown tree i.e 10Yrs)

seeking some kind of help in this regard.

ponsanthan

sandal wood

Dear friend
White sandal wood is the real sandal wood it is called Santalum album
Red sandal wood is called Pterocarpus santalinus- it is used in medicine and carving work. It is an endemic plant and restricted its distribution to the Royalaseema area of Andhapradesh (Thirupathi area). its cultivation will not be much useful. (Pterocarpus marsupium, is a good timber and medicinal tree, it can be cultivated in fallow lands just like teak)
You can grow white sandal wood (Santalum album) - the wood oil is the premium product, used in sandal flavoured soaps, perfumary industries, wood costs Rs. 2000- 3000/ kg.

ks_ranjit

Hi,

I could get some good information on Red Sandalwood (Pterocarpus Santalinus) at "http://iwst.icfre.gov.in/database/Redsanders/index.htm". Hence, Thought of sharing this with you.

I'm looking for information on the current price per tonne\quintal\Kg of this wood. Request someone to provide information on this.

Last edited:

ashokb2007

Hi,

I could get some good information on Red Sandalwood (Pterocarpus Santalinus) . Thought of sharing this with you.

I'm looking for information on the current price per tonne\quintal\Kg of this wood. Request someone to provide information on this.
I am also looking for information to start Red Sandalwood plantation. Can you share what all information you have?

Thanks

ks_ranjit

Hi Ashok,

Sent you a Pvt msg with the details and the URL.

For the benefit of others, here are a few details that i could accumulate:

1. The soil Preferably should be Red soil.
2. Per acre you can accomodate 400 - 500 saplings based on the gap between each of them.
3. If you go for a bulk order it might cost you around 90/- per sapling.
4. No Permission required at the time of Plantation only at the time of Harvest you need to take a NOC from the Forest Department.
5. Govt used to provide subsidy till few weeks back. But, have currently they have stopped it.

shanmuga06

Redsanders Cultivation

Hi,

Now a days everybody thinking about all kinds of plantations.The sandal plantations got awarness among all farmers and public,Realy its nice plantation and wise investment.The sandalwood tree comes under small tree variety.On completion of 13 to 15 years one will get nearly 200 to 250 kgs.In this weight the vfarmer will get nearly 20 to 25 kgs of heartwood that can be use for oil extraction ,making sandal shawdust and allied products.The present market rate of heartwood will be Rs 5400/-per kilo not Rs 2000/-per kilo In sandalwod all part will be valuable i.e after extraction oil timber cost will be Rs 9/- per gram.The upper branches and parks rate will be Rs 1800/-per kilo onwards.we can accomodate nearly maximum 500 plants in on acre in the spacing dimension of 10'x10'.

The redsanders tree will be comes under big and medium size .We can plabt seedlings the cultivation period will be minimum 20 years onwards.on completion of twenty years we will get two tons per tree.the present mareket rate will be Rs two lakhs per ton approximately.we ccan acomadte redsanders seedlings will be 400 per acre in the spacing dimension .Now in redsanders stumps probagation was availiable for early maturity ,fast growth .The cultivation period of stumps probagated will be 15 yrs onwards.From thios we can get 2.5 tons per tree .

For more details plz contact us:

a Sivakumar

Last edited by a moderator:

kvadivel

sandalwood or teak

Helo,
Recently got 1 acr land at tamilndu. No water facility.

is it possible to plant teak or sandalwood?
how much year the trees need to grow to sell? how much water resource require for this plants?

kindly advice or please share any link where I can get more basic details.

thanks
vadi

shanmuga06

Teak and sandalwood plantations

Hi vadi,

The teak and sandalwood trees are forestry plants.In forest there is no systematic cultivation so thats called wild cultivation or natural cultivation .But now the farmers got awarness about forestry plants cultivation due to some domestic reasons.Thats called field cultivation and sysytematic cultivation.Normally the both teak and sandal are aried crops but if do in our land we must provide some quantum of water.For example minimum three litreas per day per teak aswellas sandal .In field cultivation the teak and sandal will not survive if some trees are survived the yield pattern will be very poor.

A Sivakumar

jrptel

How to check is which red sandalwood?

Sir,
We are having some of red sandalwood Tree in our farm and age is appx 5 years.
Red seed on tree and flowering also available since 2 years.
How to check the , this tree is Red sandalwood and category?
Any person or agency can check, give the details.
Thanks
Jashvant Patel
Surat

jrptel

How to check the Red sandalwood?

Sir,
We are having some of red sandalwood Tree in our farm and age is appx 5 years.
Red seed on tree and flowering also available since 2 years.
How to check the , this tree is Red sandalwood and category?
Any person or agency can check, give the details.
Thanks
Jashvant Patel
Surat

jb008

Buyer -Purchaser of red sandalwood,current price

Hi,

Now a days everybody thinking about all kinds of plantations.The sandal plantations got awarness among all farmers and public,Realy its nice plantation and wise investment.The sandalwood tree comes under small tree variety.On completion of 13 to 15 years one will get nearly 200 to 250 kgs.In this weight the vfarmer will get nearly 20 to 25 kgs of heartwood that can be use for oil extraction ,making sandal shawdust and allied products.The present market rate of heartwood will be Rs 5400/-per kilo not Rs 2000/-per kilo In sandalwod all part will be valuable i.e after extraction oil timber cost will be Rs 9/- per gram.The upper branches and parks rate will be Rs 1800/-per kilo onwards.we can accomodate nearly maximum 500 plants in on acre in the spacing dimension of 10'x10'.

The redsanders tree will be comes under big and medium size .We can plabt seedlings the cultivation period will be minimum 20 years onwards.on completion of twenty years we will get two tons per tree.the present mareket rate will be Rs two lakhs per ton approximately.we ccan acomadte redsanders seedlings will be 400 per acre in the spacing dimension .Now in redsanders stumps probagation was availiable for early maturity ,fast growth .The cultivation period of stumps probagated will be 15 yrs onwards.From thios we can get 2.5 tons per tree .

a Sivakumar
Sir
We want to know do you an idea regarding to buyer - purchaser of redsandalwood, and also current price of red sandalwood in indian market.
JBais

satyamchintada

i visited ur post in agricultureinformation dated27/12/12 i am intersting in this redsandal and sandal cultivation can you share ur experiences and give us some information if so pl mail me my id is chintadasatyam@gmail.com thanking you waiting for ur qick reply

madhu yadav

sandal and red sandal

I'm very new to this domain and i have recently purchased small piece of land (Red Soil) and wanted go for Red Sandalwood plantation as an investment for future.

However, i'm a little confused about which one should i opt as i'm not aware of the diffrences between the two types, their uses, their demand and their current value\cost (Selling price per a fully grown tree i.e 10Yrs)

seeking some kind of help in this regard.
dear friend in sandal there r two types one is sandal/white sandal(santalum album)
another red sandle (petrocarpus santalinus)
sandal requires host plant for survival it takes food by feeding on other host trees or plant
the heart wood is economic part it as high value , the heart wood starts to form after 5 to 6 years after planting with good maintenance
after 15 years and above the expected yield from one tree is nearly 10 to 25 kg now the present value ranges from5 to 8 thousand depending on grade
it is legalized from govt to grow sandal buyers also availab

moharen

Need more information on the sandal wood plantation

Mr.shiva kumar,

Can you please get in touch with me @ golden.life99@gmail.com or send me your mail id so that i can get in touch with you.

I need serious help in the plantation

-Thanks
Kishore

Hi,

a Sivakumar