Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Opinion Scope of Alpacas Farming in India

Register

Click Here!

nakul_thakran

Hello Friends,

Recently I saw a link on this website of Alpaca Farms in Pennsylvania and came across a website bigmountalpacasdotcom. I did further research on this on google and came to know that its fibre is very valued product. I thought I will ask the experts and take there opinion that is it viable in India? What is the scope?

Alpaca (Vicugna pacos) is a domesticated species of South American camelid. It resembles a small llama in appearance.Alpacas are kept in herds that graze on the level heights of the Andes of southern Peru, northern Bolivia, Ecuador, and northern Chile at an altitude of 3,500 m (11,500 ft) to 5,000 m (16,000 ft) above sea-level, throughout the year.[1] Alpacas are considerably smaller than llamas, and unlike llamas, alpacas were not bred to be beasts of burden but were bred specifically for their fiber. Alpaca fiber is used for making knitted and woven items, similar to wool. These items include blankets, sweaters, hats, gloves, scarves, a wide variety of textiles and ponchos in South America, and sweaters, socks, coats and bedding in other parts of the world. The fiber comes in more than 52 natural colors as classified in Peru, 12 as classified in Australia and 16 as classified in the United States.[2] In the textile industry, "alpaca" primarily refers to the hair of Peruvian alpacas, but more broadly it refers to a style of fabric originally made from alpaca hair but now often made from similar fibers, such as mohair, Icelandic sheep wool, or even high-quality English wool.[citation needed] In trade, distinctions are made between alpacas and the several styles of mohair and luster.

Alpaca fleece is the natural fiber harvested from an alpaca. It is light weight or heavy weight, depending on how it is spun. It is soft, durable, luxurious [1] and silky natural fiber. While similar to sheep’s wool, it is warmer, not prickly, and has no lanolin which makes it hypoallergenic.[1][2] Alpaca is naturally water-repellent and difficult to ignite.[3] Huacaya, an alpaca that grows soft spongy fiber has natural crimp, thus making a naturally elastic yarn well-suited for knitting. Suri has far less crimp and thus is a better fit for woven goods. The designer Armani has used Suri alpaca to fashion Men's and Women's suits.[4]. Alpaca fleece is made into various products, from very simple and inexpensive garments made by the aboriginal communities to sophisticated, industrially made and expensive products such as suits. In the United States, groups of smaller alpaca breeders have banded together to create "fiber co-ops," in order to make the manufacture of alpaca fiber products less expensive.

Regards

Nakul Thakran

prados

Alpaca farming

Hi Nakul,

I found this thread as a result of a Google search on alpacas in India (I was looking at export opportunities) and joined up to see if I can answer any questions that you or other members may have about these wonderful animals.

We're alpaca farmers over in Australia, like many in the sector,we started as hobbyists with just a few animals and have grown.

Anything you'd like to know - we'll help if we can

tareqsk

If you are still available, I would like more information on Alpaca. You can contact me on tareq [dot] abap @ gmail [dot] com

avinashprk

I want alpaca in india

Hi Nakul,

I found this thread as a result of a Google search on alpacas in India (I was looking at export opportunities) and joined up to see if I can answer any questions that you or other members may have about these wonderful animals.

We're alpaca farmers over in Australia, like many in the sector,we started as hobbyists with just a few animals and have grown.

Anything you'd like to know - we'll help if we can