Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Satish Reddy - Inter cropping ginger with papaya and marigold

Register

Click Here!

editorialteam

Recommends ginger farming for good returns. Intercrops with papaya and marigold

Ginger is a profitable commercial crop. “If the market price goes up it can fetch Rs. 25-30lakhs per acre. For example if ginger is priced at Rs. 60/kg, then it gives Rs. 10lakhs profit. It is good income! However, when price drops to Rs. 20-30/kg then I can continue to grow the crop, no need to dig the ginger tuber from the soil. Once the rates increase it can be harvested,” describes Mr. Satish Reddy on the reason for selecting ginger crop for cultivation. He grows papaya and marigold as intercrops. “After March month, my farm area has high temperature and needs shade. So I grew papaya as an intercrop. Papaya and ginger both are 9 months crops so I decided to grow a short term crops as well hence selected marigold.”
Mr. Satish Reddy 3 a.jpg
Mr. Satish has 18 acres farm on the outskirts of Hyderabad, Telangana. He is Network Engineer by profession and farmer by passion. “I was always inclined towards farming. Along with my job as a network engineer I wanted to start some business. I then decided to invest my time and money in buying a land, then I researched a lot on farming intricacies such as weather, water availability, profit, labour etc. Once I was confident of little knowledge I gained on horticulture I began crop cultivation,” he answers on being asked about his farming venture.

Ginger is grown in 14 acres. It is a hybrid variety known as Maren. It is 8-9 months crops. Ginger roots were procured from Kerala (5 tons) and neighbour farmer (2 tons). “I am observing that tuber brought from Kerala is growing well whereas the growth of ginger from neighbouring farmer is 50% degraded. I paid Rs. 30/kg of tuber from Kerala whereas I paid neighbour farmer Rs. 35/kg,” he narrates.
Mr Satish Reddy 4 a.jpg
Papaya is 9 month crop and has a high demand during Ramzan. “I have planted 10 thousand papaya saplings in 2.5acres. I planned the cultivation in a way that I get the harvest during Ramzan,” he highlights.

Marigold has been harvested recently. Sharing the details he says, “10 tons/acre of marigold was harvested. I grew it in 5acres. Production was satisfactory but it was a bad experience selling it. The price quoted was Rs.5-10/kg being off season while during the festival season, the prices went up and it was sold at Rs. 40-80/kg. I shall plan my next plantation taking into consideration the festive occasion!”

Speaking of capital investment he says, “Rs.1lakh/acre was spent on land preparation, buying seeds, and labour cost. Another Rs. 2.5lakhs/acre spent on fertilizers, vermicompost, chemicals, panchagavya and fish amino acid etc.”
Mr Satish Reddy 1a.jpg
Soil was prepared with cow dung, poulty and goat manure. “I have used organic compost during the soil and land preparation because ginger needs organic compost for good production. To decompose the organic compost, I have used SSP (Single Super Phosphate). While planting I have used mixture of 0.5ton of neem cake, 1ton of vermicompost, 2kgs of pseudomonas, 2kgs of trichoderma viridi. After sowing ginger, I irrigated the land for 60days and no fertilizers were fed in the soil. It sprouted and grew to 15cms. Then fertigation was started. I am applying 1ton/acre of vermicompost every month at the intervals of 60, 90, 120days. I use 200kg neem cake to protect the crop from root rot disease bacteria or virus,” he shares.

“To get good ginger production the farmland should have well-designed drainage system, organic manure and high quality planting material. The bed system for sowing should be practiced,” he asserts.

Mr. Reddy is expecting around 15tons ginger production from 9months cultivation. “Using the experience of marigold, I am going to wait for the good market price. Until then I shall keep the ginger tuber inside the ground without harvesting. I may get more yield through re-sprouting of the same ginger and I am expecting 40% more yield for another 4-5 months extra,” he elaborates. He plans to sell ginger in local Hyderabad market and retailers like Reliance.
Mr. Satish Reddy 2 a.jpg
Middleman takes away the profits, “I have observed traders get 50% profits on re-selling the farmers’ produce. To avoid it all I want to deal directly with the retailers like Reliance. They do not want bulk purchases so I can plan my harvest accordingly,” states Mr. Reddy.

When he is off at work, his employees at the farm manage everything. “I have appointed a manager and two families to look after my farm. I give them the schedule for the day and they carry on. I visit the farm once or twice a week,” he shares.

Mr. Reddy’s immediate plans are to grow guava saplings because he believes fruits trees should be an intrinsic part of any farmland. “I have finished planting turmeric and potato. Next I want to plant guava saplings as it is important to have more trees around. Post ginger harvest, I plan to grow vegetables. Rest I want grow everything in my farm on experimental basis. This year I want to reduce chemical use and go on with natural farming. I want to make the farm a model farm,” he signs off.

Contact details:
Mr. Satish Reddy
Flat C-403, C Block, Casa Rouge Apartment, Plot No. 82 to 93, Jubilee Gardens Layout, Kondapur, Hyderabad, Telangana – 500 084
Phone: 09550997568
Email: satishreddy.tsr@gmail.com

Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)