Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Question Regarding Sweet Lime / Mosambi cultivation in Tamilnadu - Please provide your inputs

Register

Click Here!

ksenthil

Dear members, I am from suburbs of Madurai district, Tamil nadu and I own 5 acre farm land with red soil. Have already planted Lemon, Pappaya & Guava trees and now looking for cultivating Sweet Lime / Mosambi fruits. Now i have few questions on that. Can anyone please clarify & provide your valuable inputs. 1. Which variety is good for Sweet Lime plant? I heard from my known contact that Rangapuri variety is good and he asks me to go with that. Has anyone cultivated this variety? What spacing between plants should we need to provide...? Does it grow like a tree after few years? If you know the approximate yield per year (in terms of no of fruits / overall kilogram) from a plant, it would be good to know. I did a check in google, but couldnt find much information. Do we have any other variety that we can check on? 2. Can we also cultivate Mosambi as intercrop plant within Lemon trees? Now, Lemon trees are planted with 20ft apart on all sides. We thought to plant one mosambi plant at the centre of four lemon trees, with cross spacing between the lemon & proposed mosambi would be 15ft. Can you please advise, if we can go with this approach? Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

garao56

Dear Sri K Senthil,

Varieties of Sweet Orange

Sathgudi

This variety is a high yielder and popular in South India. Individual tree bears 1000 to 2000 fruits. The fruit is almost spherical in shape and attractively coloured when fully manure. It weighs 140 to 150 g. The base and apex are evenly rounded. The peel is thin and ragrery little. The segments are 10 to 12. Number of seeds 14. Brix 8.5o to 9o. Juirce 49%, acidity 0.65% and ascorbic acid 47 mg/100 g of juice.

Batavian

Batavian variety (Bathayee) closely resembles sathgudi except for the green and yellow patches that develop due to basketing and mostly grown in coastal districts.

Mosambi

It is grown in some parts of Telangana. The fruit develops prominent furrows on skin and a circular grove at the stylar end. It is having rough and thick skin and tastes sweeter and has more seeds compared to Sahgudi orange. It lacks flavour and inadequate blending of acidity with sugars. It is found to grow well and produce yields equal to Sathgudi. The fruit is spherical, smooth and weighs about 200g. The segments 14, brix 8.5O, acidity 0.44% and juice content 43%. The fruits are of good quality.

You are telling about Rangapur is not a variety , it is used as root stock

ksenthil

Thank you sir for your reply. Will check with the vendor on the actual variety name.. Can you tell me if we can cultivate Sweet Lime as Intercrop for lemon trees (with cross spacing between Lemon & proposed sweet lime would be 14 ft)? This question comes, as I am afraid that sweet lime tree, that would grow as a tree, would impact the yield productivity of lemon in the longer run..

garao56

No problem both can be cultivated as inter crops, pruning can be done, if overlaps. Generally Lime (Citrus) will be given 20 x 20 ft, Sweet Orange will be given 26 x 26 ft