Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Rajpal Singh - progressive farmer in Saharanpur district, UP

Register

Click Here!

editorialteam

Recommends change in farm crops in alliance with market demand and prices for higher profits

“It is mandatory for the farmers to upgrade themselves towards new crops consistently to attain growth and prosperity. When he is committed to his farm he moves towards perfection with the sole aim to increase the quality and quantity of the crops. During this process he would unknowingly do the innovations that cannot be visualized sitting in the air conditioned room with all the modern systems in place! This surely would bring him the much deserved name and fame. Conversely if he sticks to only one crop then it would lead to downfall and disappointment,” believes Mr. Rajpal Singh, progressive farmer at Jaghata Gurjar village, Saharanpur district, Uttar Pradesh who rose to fame with his innovation peach based farming system. “Initially I was growing sugarcane in my 4 hectare farm. I was gripped in debts and losses from all corners. Taking up new crop was the only solution for the survival hence I moved towards horticulture precisely the fruit cultivation.”
IMG-20160826-WA0001a.jpg
Mr. Rajpal then started growing peach but the long gestation period was a challenge as he required a regular cash inflow for day-to-day operations. “I knew I had to diversify in fruits from sugarcane but I required some farm produce enabling me to have routine earnings as well. I found way out from vegetables,” he adds. During the cultivation he innovated peach based farming system. In this, three fruit + vegetable system was practiced in 4 ha. The farming systems followed was peach (Saharanpur Prabhat) + brinjal (Navkiran) + chilly (AK47); peach (Saharanpur Prabhat) + spinach (Rajdhani) and peach (Saharanpur Prabhat) + cucumber-cucumber (Alamveer) – black gram (PU .35). Peach based system viz. peach + cucumber-black gram-spinach provided net profit of Rs. 3.43 lakh/ha followed by peach + brinjal + chilly at Rs. 3.39 lakh per ha. “It helped to realize higher returns from per unit of land and earning increased by many folds as compared to sugarcane farming,” he shares.

In the mean time he started focusing on litchi fruit farming, “It is a premium fruit having forever good demand thereby fetches good price! As the peach based farming model standardized I started my detailed research on litchi. I prepared myself well theoretically then started litchi plantation alongside peach and vegetables. As a result I started getting good yield. Now the trees are 10 years old,” he says.

Peach trees have a lifespan of 10 years. “I knew it would have to be replaced. I already had litchi, the summer season fruit in my farm so I decided to select my next crop that gives harvest in some other season. And necessarily it had to be a fruit. So I selected guava. It is the fruit of common man hence has good demand across the year. Further the best feature was that I could take the harvest twice in year anytime during the nine months. I could manipulate the fruiting based on the market price. This feature is not available with any other fruit except guava,” he elaborates the reason for replacing peach with guava.

Presently the farm has litchi and guava grown as combination crops using high density farming. Pruning of the trees is done continuously maintaining the desirable height of the plants. “We have planted guava tree in between two litchi trees. Post harvesting of litchi we immediately do the pruning. This allows the guava tree to grow well. Then post guava harvesting we prune the trees allowing more space for litchi to grow. Thus both these trees complement each other in best possible way. As a result fruit from both trees are good in quality and quantity that is monetarily quite rewarding,” highlights Mr. Rajpal Singh.
IMG-20160826-WA0000a.jpg
17 varieties of guava are grown in the farm. “IIHR Arkakirn, Panchprabhat, Lalit, L49, Shweta, Jarsurkha, and Illahabadi Safeda are the high yielding guava varieties. Further the quality of these varieties is very good and sells off immediately. These are harvested in November-December,” he says.

Litchi and Guava are sold in Delhi market and rest of the country on direct orders. “I am not able to tap many direct orders so far but shall be doing soon! We are not much concerned on exports as of now because we are getting similar prices in the domestic market. If quality of the fruit is good it gives good returns in Indian market as well. Besides it is relatively less tedious than exports. In last season I have sent litchi far of cities in sleeper coach and received extremely good response. So price can be 100% controlled with quality,” he asserts.

Natural farming practices are implemented at the farm. “Cattle herd of indigenous breed in farm largely helps to fulfill the requirement of manures and natural pesticides along traps and neem oil based measures. However, I concentrate on the farm management thereby take every possible effort to safeguard my fruit orchard from all sorts of pest attack. I share a strong bond with my trees thus get to know about any probable pest attack much before it takes place. Accordingly I take the preventive action,” avers Mr. Rajpal Singh. In time to come he plans to expand with processing to produce value added products.

He concludes saying, “If farmers want to have bulging pockets with money then he needs to grow high quality crops that are sold at premium price. If he continues to cultivate the basic crops with same old practices then will face the failure. Think big and upgrade continuously for stable growth.”

Contact details:
Mr. Rajpal Singh
Jaghata Gurjar Village,
P.O.- Phendpuri,
Block - Nakur,
District - Saharanpur,
Uttar Pradesh - 247 001
Phone: 09412558235

marpffc9

Congratulation Mr. Rajpal Singh and thanks to the editorial team. There is a need to document success stories and you are doing a good job.
Can you think of developing a directory of successful farmers village, district, crops, what is new, profit per acre before and profit per acre after. I am trying to save these success stories for sharing with farmers who approach me for details of certain crops. There can be a forum to discuss these stories and learning. Why not the promoters of this website start a separate news channel dedicated for promotion of agriculture alone with focus on improving farmers living conditions?

Attachments

editorialteam

@MA Thanks a lot for your appreciation. You mentioned, "I am trying to save these success stories for sharing with farmers who approach me for details of certain crops. " Please share the details of your work. And if you know any o farmers' success story then do suggest us those names. We will contact them as possible. Warm Regards, Shweta