Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

R.N Fish Infrastructure - fish seed production

Register

Click Here!

editorialteam

Experiences consistent growth in fish farming from rearing to seed production. Diversifies in dairy too

R.N Fish Infrastructure established in 2003 initially was engaged in rearing fish but since 2013 it produces and supplies fish seed of six varieties. “We produce fish seeds scientifically with immense attention given to feed and water cleanliness. Our fish seed has close to 100% survival rate, resistance to diseases and has good production rate,” claims Mr. Ram Shakha Chaudhary, Founder. Later he diversified into dairy as well. Fish seed production capacity of hatchery is 120 lakh fry. During the year 2015-16, total gross income earned from the sale of span, fry and fingerlings stage of fish seed Rs. 18 lakh. Company is located at Barri Behta village, Sitamarhi district, Bihar.
R N Fish Infrastructure Mr. Ram Shakha Chaudhary  a.jpg
“After completing graduation, I began my professional life with brick production business in 1994. It was successful at first however turned a complete blackout in 2002. Going with suggestion of my wife Mrs. Nirmala Devi I thought to try hands on with fish farming. We had 11 acre ancestral farmland hence decided to develop the fish ponds,” Mr. Chaudhary shares insight from his life of turning into fish farmer. The infrastructure was developed with the capital investment of Rs. 6.25 lakh on 7.7 acre to rear fish. “We bought fish seed from nearby hatcheries. The business was fine but I was never happy with the quality of fish seed!”

In the mean time Mr. Chaudhary met some officers from State Fishery Department who encouraged him to start the fish hatchery. “Thereby the fish hatchery was set up with Rs. 15 lakh loan from IDBI bank and government subsidy. We specialize in producing fish seed of six varieties namely common carp, catla, rohu, mrigal, grass carp and silver carp,” he informs. All fish seed variants are sold at Rs. 500-700 per 50 thousands. Demand for the product is high so selling is not a problem. 15 quintal breeding stock is maintained at the farm while if in excess it is sold in the market.

Feed for the fish is sourced mostly from the market but for the first 10 days it is fed with in-house feed that is mix of egg yolk, flour, soyabean and mustard. Speaking about the prerequisites for setting up the hatchery he says, “First and foremost good farmland. Then we need 3-phase electricity connect of our own while another 3 phase electricity connect can be taken from the Government. Good water source. We have abundant water supply.” Fishery is the business that gave the farmer and his family an opportunity to increase their area of operation and they diversified into dairy farming.

Mix herd of Sahiwal and Jersey is maintained at the farm. Cow dung is converted into cooking gas. The bio gas plant capacity = 3 M3 that saves the expenditure on commercial cooking gas. The slurry is used along with the fish waste rich water to grow green fodder, fruits and vegetables. Milk is sold at Rs. 35/liter. Farm also has a separate vermicompost unit.

Challenges were faced many such as less cooperation from financial institution, poor infrastructure in the village but undeterred Mr. Chaudhary continued to work.

In time to come, “I want to convert cow dung into renewable energy to run the water pumps. And shall expand the operations to best of the possibility,” he concludes.

Contact details:
R.N Fish Infrastructure
Village and Post –Barri-Behta,
Pupari, Block –Chorout,
District Sitamarhi-843319,
Bihar
Mobile: 09973306675 , 09430082811
Email: rschaudhary1962@gmail.com

Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)