Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Now confused about organic and non organic farming.

Register

Click Here!

padmanabhan_ganesan

Dear Packair,

The long term solution would be to go for Organic Farming. This will help you to reduce the costs and as well improve the fertility of the soil.

The reports you have provided all are being quoted from the same Which? news.

Regards
Padmanabhan

atulkalaskar

I disagree with Padma....

Organic farming has no ability to produce the yield that can feed the entire world which is growing every day. Organic farming is highly susceptible to disease and pests and that alone will kill the grower. All those who are talking about organic farming not even one of them is actually a grower who can scientifically prove that it is sustainable.

By the way what makes inorganic farming bad? has anyone actually looked at the details? It is only excessive and stupid use of pesticides (so the farmer is to be blamed not method) and excessive and stupid use of fertilizers which pollute the environment (again ...farmer to be blamed here)

If these two factors are taken care of what's wrong with inorganic? Though same cannot be said about organic because even after one takes care of organic disease control (if such thing exists) the yield is still not guaranteed.

hmpo

Easier way to confuse yourself

Looks like the original poster took 3 different links talking about the same study, to try and confuse himself. By googling about the same "Which?" study, he can get hundreds more links, and confuse himself thoroughly ;)

packair

Nah... I am not confused about the article. I just wanted opinions from both organic and Non organic farmers on this topic. As far as posting three links is concerned, I didn't want anyone questioning the authenticity of the article being just at one place. I simply wanted to show that it was published in dailies all around the world. And there is something about this study. Personally I believe in organic farming. But I just wanted to hear opinion from both sides. Hmmmm.... Didn't think posting three links would be the talk of the day.

padmanabhan_ganesan

Dear PackAir,

Please dont believe me or anybody but try to dig more into the available sources like newspapers, websites etc. I am not a agriculturalist yet but surely one day I will become a pure organic farmer/agriculturalist.

If you understand Tamil Language and if you have time, please watch Makkal TV - Mon to Fri 6.30 PM to 7:00 PM (Program name Malarum Bhoomi). This program is dedicated to the farmers and the show goes to the farmers field itself and the farmers themselves tell about their plantations etc. They talk about the issues in inorganic farming and the benefits of organic farming.

I disagree with atulkalaskar on the organic farming method. Organic farming is all about reducing input costs to the farmer, improving the fertility of the soil and improving the environment. We can keeping arguing about the organic / inorganic method but surely most of the farmers are rapidly moving to organic farming.

Please get Dr.Nammalwar's video on Youtube or material anywhere (like searching in The Hindu paper) who is pioneering the organic farming ways and this will give you a insight into what is best for you.

Best of luck for your farming!!!

Regards
Padmanabhan

shreesh

Organic is better

The quoted URLs are a joke. Read the comments under the article of 3rd URL and you will get the whole picture. Inorganic farming is BIG BUSINESS ... they will do all they can to malign organic farming.

I am a firm believer in organic. It uses nature's nutrient cycles to give us nutritious food. It respects other forms of life. Inorganic farming most often leads to exploitation of the land. It's a high-investment, high-risk game.

The issue about yield is simple to solve - no amount of yield increase is going to sustain senseless population increase and wasteful practices. Man needs to learn to live peacefully with nature ... we have only 1 Earth! We simply cannot rely on yield comparison alone and justify the massive destruction of food quality as well as ecology that is happening due to inorganic farming. Borrowing this quote : "Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten"

Atul - I do respect your achievements and experience. So far, I am only an apprentice-farmer and am struggling with pests ... but I am learning and seeing improvement. Many people don't know the proper techniques about Organic and hence don't get good results and call it bad. Just the way Ayurveda is often termed hocus-pocus ... just because it is often difficult to find a competent Vaidya. If a thinking farmer like you applies himself to Organic farming, he will get superlative results. Best Wishes.

Last edited:

shreesh

Mainstream media

You will be surprised at the amount of deception being done through mainstream media. Mainstream media is often fed info by institutes with scientific names and funded by big corporates. Media has become a tool for mass deception of gullible folks. Read this excellent article on media manipulation : The Doors of Perception | The Doctor Within

Learn to separate the junk from real news. Identify a few sources of reliable info and discard the mainstream media. For example, the site I quoted above is one of the best sources for general philosophy on health.