Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

New Farm

Register

Click Here!

sand14

Dear All,

I have purchased a 50000 sq ft land parcel in Alibaug. Planning to install a bore well to source water and then cultivate a farm. Initial idea is to grow alphonso mangoes, coconut trees and other fruit plants. Also planning a fencing around the land parcel.

Would welcome any suggestions on the following:

a) Fencing idea and costs
b) how to cultivate mango/coconut trees
c) Borewell systems

Please help

Thanks,

Sandeep

kshatra

Hello sandeep,

Congratulations on acquiring your land. Here's my two bit for your farm.
1. One must have at least two sources of water. My suggestion would be to build a water harvesting unit ( To recharge your borewell and also a water sump to collect water in.
2. Fencing - best to get something that gives quick bio mass to be used for composting and mulching. You could try Karonda , since it keeps out animals and bears fruit. But like everything else, grow a variet and not just one kind.

A very young and enthusiatic friend of mine is already farming in the area by the name of Sachin baiker. You could ask around and visit his farm.

padmanabhan_ganesan

Dear All,

I have purchased a 50000 sq ft land parcel in Alibaug. Planning to install a bore well to source water and then cultivate a farm. Initial idea is to grow alphonso mangoes, coconut trees and other fruit plants. Also planning a fencing around the land parcel.

Would welcome any suggestions on the following:

a) Fencing idea and costs
b) how to cultivate mango/coconut trees
c) Borewell systems

Please help

Thanks,

Sandeep
Hi Sandeep,

My suggestion is to have limited water guzzling crops like Coconut, Banana, Paddy, Wheat etc unless you have abundant water source.

To get a better perspective on the options available, visit my blog and let me know if you have any specific questions related to my blog.

I have covered Live Fence, Selection of Crops, Soil Improvement. Planning to cover Water, Farm Design etc in future.

Regards
Padmanabhan Ganesan
Agriculture for Everybody